Broken roof clasp -Sky lift roof

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Ian
Supreme Being

Re: Broken roof clasp -Sky lift roof

Post by Ian » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:26 pm

I was speaking to Phil at JAL (about an unrelated matter) and I asked him about this. He said they only use the genuine article, and on the odd occasion when the latches have had to be replaced the fault was with the cover and not the clasp itself. Phil has also sent an email to clarify the situation which I have copied in full:

"We have “thousands” of these locks in usage, we choose aerocatch as they are stress rated and branded unlike the many fakes on the internet. We have had a small number of people approach us for spare/replacements, as keys lost or locks have not been maintained. Some people have purchased fake locks and fitted , some have been identical in measurements and some different. Aerocatch have been attempting quite rightly to stamp out the fakes and we support them on this issue. Should anyone require spares or replacements they are more than welcome to contact us and can be supplied at £49.99 in genuine aerocatch packaging inc post, and these will be the correct specification and include spare keys.

The correct specification lock code is 125-2100 flush locking kit

Thank You

JAL"
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:48 pm

Excellent! I was looking at the Aerocatch website and couldn't work out which was the right one. Doesn't explain why the Aerocatch skittles are red and mine just silver though ...
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Ranger
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Ranger » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:24 pm

Good evening,

I seem to always have a problem in shutting these clasps as when 1 goes in the other always seems to take an age to line up and close and its only a matter of time before one snaps. Has anyone any tips on making these things easier to shut?
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:35 pm

If one of them is slightly out of alignment vertically, then the bolt itself can be adjusted up or down. With the roof up, unscrew the nut, turn the bolt one full circle (one way or the other) and re-tighten. Just a case of trial and error.

If the misalignment is sideways to the bolt, it may be a bit harder and I will have to bow out. You could try Phil at JAL or Dave at the Worcester Mobile Mechanic. They work with them.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”