Above-windscreen storage console

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

timhowes
Bongonaut

Above-windscreen storage console

Post by timhowes » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:50 pm

So we've had a wonderful first Holiday in our new Bongo around the sunny west coast of France. Very happy unconverted at the moment, but when carrying a lot of big gear in the back (camping and watersports stuff) it would be really useful to have somewhere up front to store small and oft-used things Eg books etc.

Does anyone know of a good hack to make an overhead storage console to go above the cab? Or are there any on the market? A bit of googling suggests otherwise.

Cheers
Tim
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Above-windscreen storage console

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:41 pm

Welcome. Not heard of anyone doing that before but Bongo folk are always trying new stuff and that sounds like an interesting idea. Maybe you could remove sun visors and use those mounting points as part of the design, possibly re-mounting sun visors on underside of shelving :roll:
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:43 am

Although this sounds like a good idea, I wonder if it could be problematic if you had a bump. Maybe some sort of storage in the footwell might be safer. Personally we tuck our kindles in the door pockets and maps, batteries and torches in the glove box.

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:18 am

mountainmummy wrote:Although this sounds like a good idea, I wonder if it could be problematic if you had a bump. Maybe some sort of storage in the footwell might be safer. Personally we tuck our kindles in the door pockets and maps, batteries and torches in the glove box.

Sara
Indeed. You'd need to think carefully about that side of things (structure, content, loose objects etc.) though i reckon that with good sense it could all be done.
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:29 am

We use the seat back tidies for oddments such as small plates, sporks, first aid kit, pens, paper, wipes, sun cream etc. Maps and guide books go in the front door pockets and everything else goes in the glove box and the glory hole behind (or is it in front of) the gear stick!!
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:41 pm

timhowes wrote:So we've had a wonderful first Holiday in our new Bongo around the sunny west coast of France. Very happy unconverted at the moment, but when carrying a lot of big gear in the back (camping and watersports stuff) it would be really useful to have somewhere up front to store small and oft-used things Eg books etc.

Does anyone know of a good hack to make an overhead storage console to go above the cab? Or are there any on the market? A bit of googling suggests otherwise.

Cheers
Tim
Here's something from Oz that seems to suggest it can be done:

http://www.consoles.com.au/Toyota_78Series_shelf.htm

Interesting to reflect that the Haydn Low Coolant Alarm is (or at least i believe it is) actually an Australian design that got modified for the Bongo.
Joe_anne123
Bongolier

Post by Joe_anne123 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:48 pm

There is something like this in my OH's Berlingo Multispace - basically a shelf, with a lip to stop stuff rolling off, above the windscreen.
timhowes
Bongonaut

Post by timhowes » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:07 pm

I've seen pictures of those shelves in the Berlingo and this is exactly the sort of thing I'm after! But not really appropriate as a DIY solution, as some have implied. Thanks for the link to the Aussie site, I had seen this already in my searches - plus a load of solutions for those wishing to have somewhere in the cab to store their rifle!!!

In the absence of a safe, off-the-shelf solution, I think I'm going to plump simply for some sort of in-car organiser (fabric & plastic) of the sort that seem invaluable for those travelling with children... with the ever-present need for an army of soft toys!

Cheers
Tim

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”