Attaching table for outside use

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

janie
Bongolier

Attaching table for outside use

Post by janie » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:22 am

Hi everyone,

Since we have already booked next years ferry tickets :D I'm now considering what tinkering is required to make our Bongo even more useful!

We have a table on a rail inside the van (with a single, fold out leg). To avoid carrying an extra table I'm thinking of making an attachment for outside use as well. Can anyone who has successfully done this give me any tips/photos/advice please.

Thanks in advance

Jane
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Attaching table for outside use

Post by Bob » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:26 am

I made some uprights from scrap wood and fitted the table to my bike rack on the tow bar.

That way you're sat under the tailgate out or the rain or blazing sun.

Never managed pics but I maight try after enormous row with solicitor. :mrgreen:
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:45 am

Thanks Bob,

We have a tailgate bike rack - but it's a good idea.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:58 pm

Possibly attatch 2 vertical bits of wood to the rack, drill holes and use a piece of dowel to attatch table. 8)

I have drilled holes about 2" aprart to allow for ground level.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:48 pm

A lot of conversions have a central pole that fits in a socket in the floor and the underside of the table. Fiamma do a tripod enabling you to use the same table outside - do a Goggle search for Fiamma table legs.

The tripod bit isn't cheap (but it's lightweight and collapsible) but I'm sure I've got a spare socket knocking around for the underside of the table - then you only need a piece of tube. On ours the same arrangement is used (with a shorter pole) for the bed, so you can deploy a really big table when needs be - see the third picture below :wink:

janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:57 pm

I was wondering about something like that, Muz - might give it a look!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:25 pm

janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:32 pm

£38 sounds a bit much for a tripod to me - I'll give it some thought :?
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:42 pm

That's what we thought too but we wanted to travel light, so ditched the camping table I'd made out of a piece of 18mm MDF...

Looks like the tubes are about £15.00. Mrs Muz has checked back at Team Muz HQ and we've got a surplus socket for the underside of the table which we can get to you somehow. I suppose, depending on the site you could just push the tube into the ground - but you just know it's going to end in tears with your glass of Châteauneuf-du-Pâpe all over the grass :wink:
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:47 pm

You have a point - and I suppose if something's worth doing it's worth doing right, etc.

Thanks for the offer of the top bit - don't suppose you're coming to Looe at the weekend?
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:49 pm

Sadly not, but if you PM me your address I'll bung it in the post for you :wink:
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:50 pm

Thanks a lot - will do :D
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:37 pm

Our table had a single fold down leg. Then it has two bits which go onto a rail in the bongo.

I too wanted to use it outdoors but couldn't find a good place to mount it. I haven't finished yet but I'm making a rail to go on the side of our camping kitchen so that the table can attach to the side of the camping kitchen.

I'll try to post some pictures when I've finished!
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:55 am

Ive seen a photo of a folding table coming out of the sliding side door,under a canopy.
Not sure if the table edge was on a short rail,or just resting on the floor of the bongo,but it looked ok with seats on either side and at the end of the table.Dont know if any adjustment had to be made on the leg length.

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:44 am

Bongoplod wrote:Ive seen a photo of a folding table coming out of the sliding side door,under a canopy.
Not sure if the table edge was on a short rail,or just resting on the floor of the bongo,but it looked ok with seats on either side and at the end of the table.Dont know if any adjustment had to be made on the leg length.

Brian
I've seen that one too but thought it looked to cramped around the door. We often need to just go into the Bongo to get the ketchup etc and it would be tight getting in and out. That's why we figured that moving it away from the Bongo might be best. We were just planning on using ours as a food prep table though as we already have a camping table to eat at.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”