Thinking of getting a bongo

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Frankie
Junior Bongonaut

Thinking of getting a bongo

Post by Frankie » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi I have been looking at a few bongos and have a few questions which u would appreciate any help on:

-. With JAL conversions, can chill seats be fitted to rock and roll bed seat when in seat position.
-. Do JAL wax oil all vans they convert or import or is this an add on?
- Do JAL change cam belt as a STD when they import / convert vans?
-. If past mots show that welding has been done in past indicate a concern for future?

That's it for now I think. So many questions and looking at the forum has been helpful so far, so hopefully someone can help guide me with these

Thanks
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Thinking of getting a bongo

Post by Bob » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:07 pm

Possibly worth asking Phil these questions.

He will be able to answer better than us. 8)
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:38 pm

Frankie wrote:Hi I have been looking at a few bongos and have a few questions which u would appreciate any help on:

-. With JAL conversions, can chill seats be fitted to rock and roll bed seat when in seat position.
-. If past mots show that welding has been done in past indicate a concern for future?

That's it for now I think. So many questions and looking at the forum has been helpful so far, so hopefully someone can help guide me with these

Thanks
1. Whether they can and whether you should are different and the second part is debatable. The 'can you' part comes down to the individual child seat and whether it will fit. The 'should you' part comes down to your own conscience - the rock and roll beds are just a bit of ply, the seatbelt socket isn't floor mounted so the seatbelt's complete safety comes from how well it is mounted to the seat and how well that is mounted to the floor. The original bench seats are very heavy and substantially mounted to the floor, they are also safety tested and approved (albeit many years ago). I have never seen a rock and roll bed that I would be happy putting a child seat in. For this reason when we were Bongo hunting we limited ourselves to only Bongos that used the original seats.

2 & 3 - They both need doing so ask if they are included and if not how much they will be.

4. Depends - I would rather buy a vehicle that has been properly welded over one that requires welding but hasn't had it done yet. Bongos are getting to the age now where they will start requiring some welding - I would say it was the biggest issue with Bongo ownership (Keeping on top of the rust). If some has been previously welded and done well then I would consider that a bonus as you hopefully won't have to redo that part any time soon. You will have to accept that some welding will need to be done in the future though (on any Bongo).

Hope that helps.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:59 pm

sotal wrote:
Frankie wrote:Hi I have been looking at a few bongos and have a few questions which u would appreciate any help on:

Thanks
1. Whether they can and whether you should are different and the second part is debatable. The 'can you' part comes down to the individual child seat and whether it will fit. The 'should you' part comes down to your own conscience - the rock and roll beds are just a bit of ply, the seatbelt socket isn't floor mounted so the seatbelt's complete safety comes from how well it is mounted to the seat and how well that is mounted to the floor. The original bench seats are very heavy and substantially mounted to the floor, they are also safety tested and approved (albeit many years ago). I have never seen a rock and roll bed that I would be happy putting a child seat in. For this reason when we were Bongo hunting we limited ourselves to only Bongos that used the original seats.

2 & 3 - They both need doing so ask if they are included and if not how much they will be.

4. Depends - I would rather buy a vehicle that has been properly welded over one that requires welding but hasn't had it done yet. Bongos are getting to the age now where they will start requiring some welding - I would say it was the biggest issue with Bongo ownership (Keeping on top of the rust). If some has been previously welded and done well then I would consider that a bonus as you hopefully won't have to redo that part any time soon. You will have to accept that some welding will need to be done in the future though (on any Bongo).

Hope that helps.
Very well put =D>
Was going to put the welding answer differently but comes round to the same thing. Welding is inevitable (eventually), so it can be seen as good or confirmation of a Bongo's stage in life!
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Frankie
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Frankie » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:43 am

Thank you. Very helpful replies

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”