A quiet fridge?

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Sickleft
Apprentice Bongonaut

A quiet fridge?

Post by Sickleft » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:19 pm

Hi,
My bongo has a leisure battery and a 240volt hook up and at the moment it has a dual voltage coolbox. The problem is it is very noisy and the Mrs can't sleep when it's running, it also drains the leisure battery really quickly. I've read that 3 way fridges running on gas are silent but I'm a bit concerned about ventilation with the kids in the van.
Can anyone recommend a quiet fridge that will run for at least a weekend on a 12v supply?
Cheers in advance
Ben
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Re: A quiet fridge?

Post by roosmith » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:36 pm

I have a Waeco (the CDF26 I think) and it is near silent. When the compressor kicks in, you can sort of hear it but even the lightest sleep (my OH!) can sleep through it!
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:01 pm

Definitely go for a compressor fridge - expensive but worth it - mine is like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waeco-Coolmat ... SwmmxW1mdH - it will easily last a weekend on your leisure battery, especially if switched on at the start of your journey, whilst your battery is being charged.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:33 pm

We have this type installed, you can hear it - just, but it certainly doesn't wake me up or anything http://www.vitrifrigofridges.co.uk/c42lfridge.htm
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:46 am

Sickleft wrote:Hi,
My bongo has a leisure battery and a 240volt hook up and at the moment it has a dual voltage coolbox. The problem is it is very noisy and the Mrs can't sleep when it's running, it also drains the leisure battery really quickly. I've read that 3 way fridges running on gas are silent but I'm a bit concerned about ventilation with the kids in the van.
Can anyone recommend a quiet fridge that will run for at least a weekend on a 12v supply?
Cheers in advance
Ben
An absorption fridge is the 3 way type used in caravans etc, they are totally silent but won't run for more than 12 hours or so on a battery but if installed correctly with the correct outside vents they run for weeks on gas.
Any compressor fridge will make a noise, firstly I would check how the current fridge is installed as it may be vibrating and rattling on some other component making the noise worse.
If yours is just a plastic cool box type they are noisy as they are very cheaply put together, but just have a good look at it first as it may well just be a noisy fan that could be replaced but they are never as quiet as a compressor fridge or an absorption fridge.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:13 am

The quietest fridge is one you can place outside the Bongo wherever possible. It might also be the most frugal on electricity if that means it can be placed in a cooler environment, such as an awning at night. :roll:
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:33 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:The quietest fridge is one you can place outside the Bongo wherever possible. It might also be the most frugal on electricity if that means it can be placed in a cooler environment, such as an awning at night. :roll:
As long as you bring it back in as soon as the sun comes up!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:50 pm

Jillygumbo wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:The quietest fridge is one you can place outside the Bongo wherever possible. It might also be the most frugal on electricity if that means it can be placed in a cooler environment, such as an awning at night. :roll:
As long as you bring it back in as soon as the sun comes up!
Ah well, even then if you keep it in the shade and where a cool breeze can pass it by, it should do better than in a baking Bongo. I generally opt for the back of the awning tunnel, where any wind usually gets concentrated as it passes the coolbox. Best through is probably inside a blacked out Bongo with front windows cracked open and roof vents open to create a chimney effect.

The key point though is we can't be having this conversation unless the fridge is moveable :roll:
scootmonkee
Bongonaut

Post by scootmonkee » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:10 pm

We also have a Waeco compressor fridge which has a small freezer compartment and it is very quiet (but not silent).

During the day, we freeze picnic cool box freezer packs (flexible type, not the solid blue plastic blocks), then take them out and place them amongst the food in the fridge when I switch it off at bedtime.

I keep a cooks thermometer in the Bongo to check the fridge temperature - it has never been higher than 6 degrees by morning, when I switch on again (even during the recent scorching hot spells in July). The freezer packs go back in the freezer each morning and are ready again at bedtime.

Doing this saves battery when not on hook-up and keeps the fridge cool enough but, for you, doing this would give you a silent fridge when sleeping.
It starts with love for foliage and ends in camouflage...
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:05 am

scootmonkee wrote:We also have a Waeco compressor fridge which has a small freezer compartment and it is very quiet (but not silent).

During the day, we freeze picnic cool box freezer packs (flexible type, not the solid blue plastic blocks), then take them out and place them amongst the food in the fridge when I switch it off at bedtime.

I keep a cooks thermometer in the Bongo to check the fridge temperature - it has never been higher than 6 degrees by morning, when I switch on again (even during the recent scorching hot spells in July). The freezer packs go back in the freezer each morning and are ready again at bedtime.

Doing this saves battery when not on hook-up and keeps the fridge cool enough but, for you, doing this would give you a silent fridge when sleeping.
Excellent strategy. =D>
Garry W
Bongonaut

Post by Garry W » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:53 pm

g8dhe wrote:We have this type installed, you can hear it - just, but it certainly doesn't wake me up or anything http://www.vitrifrigofridges.co.uk/c42lfridge.htm
Wotcha.

Same as mine - I occasionally hear it, but it isn't loud enough to cause a problem.
G.W.
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:58 pm

I have the Vitrifrigo C39i again not silent but still very quiet, you can notice it cutting in but not bad enough to wake you up.
Just been away Friday night to Sunday morning running on the leisure battery from around 11am on the Friday to 2pm on the sunday (I did run the engine for 10 minutes on the Saturday morning just to give a little top up to the LB but would probably been fine. It was switched on the day before going away to pre cool it.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
llitvack
Bongolier

Post by llitvack » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:54 pm

Hi folks.
We have a Waeco compressor fridge, and I can hear it at night! My solution is to put a couple of ice packs in the freezer, and let them freeze during the day. At night I turn off the fridge (which has an on/off switch in the circuit), and let the ice packs keep the fridge cool overnight. All is well, and quiet! In the morning the fridge is turned back on, ready for another day's cooling. :D
Cheers from Leon

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”