My DIY conversion progress

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Bongalow Bill
Junior Bongonaut

Re: My DIY conversion progress

Post by Bongalow Bill » Fri May 06, 2016 9:22 am

Great stuff iv got some wood on the way, I like the idea of overhead lockers too, looking forward to seeing your finished seats. Where do you keep the middle bed section? Is it on legs?
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Fri May 06, 2016 7:09 pm

Hiya,
Yes it has screw on dansette legs. I don't particularly like the set up, as it seems a bit old school, but it was all i could afford, it does make stowage easy though as the brackets don't take up much space. Larger piece fits behind the hob unit vertically, and still leaves plenty of space behind drivers seat for other "stuff" once it's all kitted out.
Bongalow Bill
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Bongalow Bill » Fri May 06, 2016 8:21 pm

Awesomeness, this is what I'm going to do as I need to keep a forward facing bench seat with belts and boot space for pram wheels.. my wood is on order and I have a friend who has kindly offered to cut out the shapes at work (cheating, I know..) so Sunday is looking like a measuring up day.. no doubt I'll mess it up tho :(

Thanks for sharing this set up, iv looked at hundreds of conversions but none have ever met all my requirements as this does so big thumbs up
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Fri May 06, 2016 8:42 pm

That's really nice to hear. As i said throughout the thread, there aren't many that have done it as i have as they either have a bench seat (easier to make it all join up) or want more cupboards etc. It is a fine balancing act for sure.

Today i went to the tip and was thankful for all the space when i put the seats up! Here's a few more pics of it

Bongalow Bill
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Bongalow Bill » Fri May 06, 2016 9:19 pm

Good stuff, any tips on how to measure out? / where to start?
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Fri May 06, 2016 10:03 pm

I spent months deciding!
Depends on your seats, how big you want everything etc.

But basically, start at the corner and work out. But make sure you have a good measure first.
If you have a bench seat then you can push it up so it meets the box seat which makes it MUCH easier to build around it. But in order to have legroom when in seating position you'll need the bench rolled back fully, which means you'll not have a boot space.
Lots of variables unfortunately!
Bongalow Bill
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Bongalow Bill » Fri May 06, 2016 10:13 pm

It's all experimental I'll let you know how it goes thanks for all your help
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Sat May 07, 2016 10:39 pm

Hi folks,
I've had the last few days off, so have had an hour or so a day to tinker. Nice tinkering though!
I have fitted a new front washer motor. The van belonged to my inlaws and it stopped working a couple of years ago, so i swapped the motors over for them so that the front worked and rear was disabled. This was no good for me as i like things to work as they should! So today i finally got around to doing that, now have 2 working wiper motors, hoorah.
Yesterday i had to get at my remote central locking as it had developed a fault, turns out the connections they used (cheap kit) were crap, so i used some solder connectors which were fantastic. I can't recommend them enough! Remote locking now working well, hopefully!
I also bought the correct gas bottle for the conversion, the rear conversion that was in the van had more space, so a 4.5kg calor bottle was there, almost full. Too tall for my conversion unfortunately. I also had a spare 907 campingaz bottle from my old T25, too big again! So i traded that in and got a 904 campingaz which fits perfectly. Not tested yet, but i should now be set for making tea.
And the most important thing i did so far...cleaned the van! We haven't cleaned it since we bought it, so it was pretty horrid. Cleaned and polished, it came up nicely. The wind deflectors came up great after a polish, same idea as headlights i think, now you can see through them great!

Highlights the tasty bit of welding i am going to do in the summer, luckily the arches have been done as i wouldn't fancy my skills on those! Nice long key mark down the side, lacquer peeling on the wheels, wee dent in front wing. That's just that side, haha!
It'd the next project on the agenda, sort out some of the bodywork, should make it feel 100% better once the outside is up to a better standard!
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Sun May 08, 2016 12:10 am

Thats a nice looking Bongo.
I wish I had your DIY skills :mrgreen:

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Sun May 08, 2016 8:10 am

It looks a million times better since cleaning, that's for sure!
It'll never be a show pony, that much is certain.
Think i may have to sell the side runners too to pay for a Haydn temperature gauge (i have a low coolant alarm already), some sold on ebay for decent money, quite a handy swap i think. One will have to come off for the welding, so it gives me an opportunity to see what i think with it off.
My diy skills are ok, from 10 yards! I'm a 30 year old barman, so i do ok for my lack of training!
In truth, i have always loved building things, i got my first classic car when i was 22 and it juat snowballed from there (7 classic cars, 3 classic bikes, 2 campers).
Then i got married...!
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:49 pm

Hi folks,
3 months on and van progress has slowed, we had a baby, so is to be expected.
In a couple of other threads i posted updates of other things, fitting fog lights and daytime running lights, which work as they should. I also used the van to help with our house move, so it's been a real help!
Now...my mother in law has so far made one cushion (it's wedding season, so she is busy making dresses!) It's a striped fabric, should look ok, it was off cuts of an old job of hers, so i couldn't be too picky.
Interesting news though is that my sister is going to borrow the van on the 19th for a weekend away, so it will finally be used for camping, juat not by us! Ha!
So i now need to get it camping ready before hand. I have 4 part worn tyres to fit, the cushions to get in and to make sure everything is up together.

Oh...and on the 17th i am doing all the welding on the outer sill, no pressure then! Can't wait to have all that done though as it is being used as a pre-going-to-the-tip storage facility at the moment!
I will of course post pictures once it is all in in progress, should be a crazy couple of weeks!
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:58 pm

Great job. I am fascinated by the variety of owners interior layouts and the versatility of the Bongo full stop.

I was quite taken with the original setup you removed. Any idea who the maker was?
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:41 pm

I don't know unfortunately. As i said before, if it was juat my wife and i, it would've been great. But my need for rear seats with 3 point belts meant that i had to get rid.
Somone was selling the same conversion on ebay a couple of weeks ago, looked suspiciously like it was the one i sold, which is a shame as it never got refitted to a bongo. But it will i'm sure!
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:19 pm

Well, my mother in law finished the cushions, i didn't think she would, but she came up trumps.

I've had a quick lie down in it and it is pretty damn comfy. I have a seat topper for rear seats, but i can't see me using it as seat squishes fine (asi had heard about the gull seats compared to bench seats).

Very happy!!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:36 pm

Brilliant. =D> =D> =D>

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”