Show us yer insides

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Diplomat
Supreme Being

Re: Show us yer insides

Post by Diplomat » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:05 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
That's very nice indeed...in fact I'd say that's one of the best yet, if not THE best!
Cheers
Helen
It certainly comes under my definition of a passion wagon.

So long as you get any requisites out of the storage compartment beforehand!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:29 pm

Here is ours, it is remarkable how many different styles conversions come in. Ours was done by AVA prior to us buying it, that is all I know and it all works nicely.

Fonty
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Fonty » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:59 am

Hi all,

New to the forum and picked up our '98 V6 from JAL a couple of weeks back after 7 long months from first seeing the Japan-side auction details, very very happy with it so far!

We took her to the Black Mountains last weekend for our first couple of nights sleeping on the rock and roll bed, which was surprisingly comfortable. I guess we'll get better at minimising the faffing between driving, cooking and sleeping arrangements (bags and boxes shifting between back and front to make space etc)!?!

There seem to be Bongos popping up on every street round our area of SW London since we first ordered ours so clearly the word is spreading about how awesome they are :D

Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:05 am

Very nice. Am liking the wide bed..

Unfortunately I think JAL only convert their own vehicles, otherwise I could be tempted.

Derek
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:11 am

Welcome aboard. :D

Very nice looking Bongo and a great conversion. =D>

Ours came from Phil more than 8 years ago and I'm still very pleased with it.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:38 pm

Look nice and cosy in there ! Interesting side opening AFT as well, I assume an aftermarket fit. Regarding the faffing, I would not count on it subsiding, we are always faffing in our Bongo the tight multi-purpose space seems to require it. But it does so much, so well and is a great drive.

We do like to pack it full of comforts though so it makes space a premium to say the least.

One thing I now have is a little gas canister burner (which I must test in the garden one day) so I can make a coffee (or smelly food) etc. outside now rather than moving the chairs back away from the cooking stuff in the morning. My wife sleeps downstairs on the floor with camping mattress and foam camping lays and I dwell up top. This way she can slumber while I brew up for the future at festivals and what not.

You are going to have a lot of fun !
Fonty
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Fonty » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:27 am

Thanks guys, the roof is indeed an after market fit - it's JAL's Mushroom roof. We've only had it up very briefly due to the weather but are looking forward to sleeping up there in drier and warmer times! The quality of conversion is all-round excellent so I'd definitely recommend getting a vehicle from Phil, just be prepared to wait a bit as I think they're super busy.

Great idea on the gas burner, I'll bring my camping one along for coffee next outing :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:31 am

Welcome. I love the sunny colours in your conversion - did you choose the decor? The Bongo is a great vehicle and the ultimate all rounder in my view. A bit heavy on the juice, but worth it. Benefits also from taking an active interest in how everything works.

Here's to lots of happy outings :-)
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:12 pm

Fonty wrote:Thanks guys, the roof is indeed an after market fit - it's JAL's Mushroom roof. We've only had it up very briefly due to the weather but are looking forward to sleeping up there in drier and warmer times! The quality of conversion is all-round excellent so I'd definitely recommend getting a vehicle from Phil, just be prepared to wait a bit as I think they're super busy.

Great idea on the gas burner, I'll bring my camping one along for coffee next outing :)
Like the conversion a lot,not seen a slimline one before.
Becky&stu
Bongonaut

Post by Becky&stu » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:38 pm

I'd like to show you mine but I just cannot get my pics on here!!!! I'm so dense!!!
Looking forward to the summer 2016 European roadtrip
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:44 pm

Like the conversion a lot,not seen a slimline one before.[/quote]

Likewise, I wish other converters would follow suit.

Derek
Becky&stu
Bongonaut

Post by Becky&stu » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:06 pm

Fonty
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Fonty » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:59 pm

Thanks! We did indeed choose the colours, we went for for something nice and light to open up the space, or something like that! The JAL slimline conversion sacrifices cupboard space for a nice big bed, but there's loads of room under the bed (accessible from a hatch in the back).

We've not yet hooked the sink up to the mains and aren't yet sure where that waste water gets out - any tips?! :)
cptsideways
Bongonaut

Post by cptsideways » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:00 pm

Does anybody have a rock & roll bed that is open with a long storage bed beneath?

I'm looking change my bongo so I can store my windsurfing kit in the van currently my van has a side storage & rear kitchen it effin useless for storage of anything other than socks & pants lol

My perfect layout would be be left side kitchen/units & all "stuff" rightside a long bed with full length underneath storage. Does such a layout exist currently?? I only need a simple camper spec in reality.
Becky&stu
Bongonaut

Post by Becky&stu » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:04 pm

Have a look at mine. There is storage under the bed when you remove the kick board.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”