Bed base in mid conversion

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

sotal
Supreme Being

Bed base in mid conversion

Post by sotal » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:23 pm

We have the Southern Bongos Mid Conversion.

I love it in nearly all respects except for the bed base.

In the most basic of layouts, the rear seats drop flat and there is an aluminium frame which folds out to fill the gap in the middle and then two bed panels which go on top.

It is reasonably comfortable but it is a bit dangerous. When it folds out the top is a lot wider than the footprint of the frame so it will tilt right over. It is roughly square so I can choose if it tilts front to back or side to side! The danger comes that it falls quite quickly when you move in your sleep, so you move quickly which makes it tilt back quickly - could easily drop a child's limb between then trap it on the way up.

I contacted Southern conversions to see if they had improved upon the design but it appeared not, they just told me it should be fine for lying on but not to walk on it. :roll:

For obvious reasons I haven't used it for the last few trips and instead I've insisted on packing all the clothes and kids toys and anything else loose into two suitcases (keeps everything together) which we then use as the base for the 2 bed panels to go on. The downside to this is we are slowly squashing the suitcases and they are a couple of inches too low!

Any ideas to improve this situation. I'd seen on here someone was using "Really Useful 48L boxes" - I guess we could get a few of these and pack clothes etc into them.
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: Bed base in mid conversion

Post by sotal » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:19 pm

Just had a quick measure up.

It looks like the rear seat base is approx 36cm from the floor. The bed panels I have are approx 5cm thick. So I need a box approx 31cm high. The 48L Really useful box fits the bill for this.

For length and depth I need about 110 x 90 (reducing towards the rear bench as the plastic comes in)

The 48L boxes are 60 x 40 x 31.5 cm (So height is good and width is good but length is a touch too long)

Possibility to use two side by side then 1 across the end where the width narrows.

Or they also do a 35L box which is 48 x 39 x 31 - Effectively the same height and width but shorter.

I should be able to get 4 of those in with the bed panels in on top. Then hopefully stack them two high when travelling to give some floor space for the dog!

Would then use these instead of suitcases for clothes etc. Can have one each - helps to limit what we take away if it all has to fit in a box!

Would also neatly stack in the awning in the day.

I'm quite liking this idea - still open to any other ideas though!

This picture shows the design flaw with the frame:

As the black panels only make up half the bed along with the rear seats, if you move your weight in the night it effectively collapses in the middle!
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:56 pm

Haha, feel like I'm talking to myself tonight!

I decided that the Really Useful boxes actually fit the bill quite well.

As well as giving us each our own storage space, they will also double up as two bench seats in the awning (One bed panel on top of two boxes). Should be the same height as sitting on the rear seat in the Bongo.

The boxes should be more waterproof than the suitcases for those stormy trips where the awning is like a puddle!

They should stack perfectly 2 by 2 behind the passenger seat and centre cubby. I think that the table will just fit over them as well. Fingers crossed!

The wife was complaining that the awning wasn't organised enough this time too - so hopefully this will help!

Think the next outing will be the Bongo Bash so can try them out there!

£32 for a set of 4 from ASDA - Free no quibble returns if they don't fit so can't go wrong really.
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:46 am

Hi!
Have you considered buying a dansette legs for ryou boards? I don't know what the backing is, but i assume wood of some sort. you could get 2 setsof legs, they just screw on and will mean carrying around a lot less stuff. They're a bit retro, but i ended up using them on mine as it couldn't see anything that was good space saving.
You can see the legs in this picture
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:32 pm

A bit retro for my liking but a good idea.

I'm going to give the boxes a try as it will help with storage too. Fingers crossed they will work OK - collect them tomorrow from ASDA.

If they don't work out I will have to think again!
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:12 am

Yes, i fully agree, more a Bay window camper thing.
Someone on the "show us yer insides" thread had the fold out table legs as theirs, looked really smart, but cost would've been crazy. But, my basee is sturdy, so i shouldn't complain.
I hope to come up with a different solution at some point in the distant future, but money talks unfortunately.

Is there space to put out two of the frames that you have in order to improve stability? I initially asked on the forum where you can buy those frames from as i liked the idea, but couldn't find them anywhere.
Someone suggested that these may just be cut down versions of these camping beds Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201584188306

Just another idea anyway.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:25 pm

Picked the boxes up today - they work really well.

Pictures below show it set out as a bed (they take my weight easily walking about on them).

Also set out as two benches to set round the table.

And stacked away under the table - perfect height but just have to fold the leg up when they are under.

Worked out well - and handy storage!

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:36 pm

What an excellent solution: cheap, very effective, multi-use, and very good use of limited space. =D> =D> =D>

Almost makes you wonder why the converters don't offer a similar option in the first place :-k :-" \:D/ 8)
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:46 pm

We're chuffed with it!

It was the one thing that let the conversion down really, we had never been happy with the frame. The 4 boxes are so much sturdier.

We'll now not have to take the bedframe, the black panels now take less room up as they used to have 2" wooden blocks on the back which I have removed now. We can also leave two of the camping chairs at home given the bench seats it makes. The boxes also take less room up than the two suitcases did.

So an all round winner - the kids are excited about having there own box to pack!

Should hopefully make life easier finding clothes as we only have to look through our own instead of looking through a whole suitcase of everyone's clothes!

Think we might treat ourselves to a pair of those zero gravity recliner chairs to go in the space!
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:51 pm

The Bongo Bash was the first proper try of the box method.

It was so much better!

No more tipping up. Sturdy enough to stand on. As an extra bonus I can still access the cupboard when I need to by lifting one panel on top of the other then lifting a box out. Before I had to remove both panels and the frame to get in the cupboard.

They made great bench seats in the awning too.

Best addition so far I think!

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”