Removing Decals

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

WestyK
Bongolier

Removing Decals

Post by WestyK » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:32 pm

Good afternoon all.

After a bit of advice on removing the standard stickers.
They have started to breakup and are coming of when jet washed but not really very well and its leaving all the residue behind.

I would like to replace them so any tips of getting them off cleanly?

Also whats peoples views on replacing with standard stickers or updating to something more modern. (opens can of worms :D )
I quite like to keep it standard but may better half wants to do something else.

Cheers
Ian
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Removing Decals

Post by Bob » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:45 pm

I seem to recal using a hair dryer to warm them and just pull off.

Wipe off any glue residue with some white spirit. :)

Someone on here used to do top quality decals but I seem to remember him selling the business. Someone will know. :wink:
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:04 pm

Toffee wheel
But be carful don't press to hard
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STRIPE-REMOVI ... SwOdpXyUHr
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
WestyK
Bongolier

Post by WestyK » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:49 pm

Thanks Guys

Yes i thought about using a hair dryer but wasn't sure how well this would work with them being so old and brittle. Will give it a go though.

Gasy. The Toffiee wheel looks great, never heard of that before. Would that be ok on the AFT Roof as well with it being Fibreglass?

I have been looking at this website. www.bongodecals.com
No sure if that is the same one as your are referring to Bob
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:27 pm

I think it would be ok on roof
Others have used them
But seem to remeber some saying if drill on to fast and pressing to hard can mark paint work
Others have put some kind of wheel in the small angle grinders but carnt remeber what
They will be along soon
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
WestyK
Bongolier

Post by WestyK » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:37 pm

Thanks Gasy

Good to know and for the price will order one.

Cheers
Ian
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:59 am

I found, when using gorilla tape and later wanting to remove it, that the grey surfacing on the aft roof came off easily. So be careful, or else have a backup plan. Good luck.
Darkstar
Bongolier

Post by Darkstar » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:07 pm

Gasy wrote:Toffee wheel
But be carful don't press to hard
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STRIPE-REMOVI ... SwOdpXyUHr
Whatever you do don't get it near anything plastic, it will eat through it like butter.
Got a Bongo for the Wife, Best trade-in ever
WestyK
Bongolier

Post by WestyK » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:40 pm

Thanks again guys

I think i am going to try the slow ans cheap way first of hot air gun and plastic scraper.
Its the roof that's the worst so will start there anyway and see how I get on.

Suspect its just going to just be slow and steady, lots of elbow grease but would rather than than bugger up the paint as its all pretty good.

Cheers
Ian
mitreklov
Junior Bongonaut

Post by mitreklov » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:52 pm

I recently removed the lower large silver panels on my Bongo to be replace with new ones, they were faded and streaky and generally dated the van.

I did some reading and got myself a toffee or caramel wheel and started with that. After the first panel I realised it wasn't going to be a quick job. These wheels do wear and should be considered as a consumable, while they are quite good at removing the decal and most of the adhesive they do make quite a mess. They are similar to a pencil rubber, only harder and as such when using them on large areas of decal like the lower silver panels they ware pretty quickly leaving a lot of rubber dust behind. I purchased one and needed two to complete the job.
I ended up using a combination of toffee wheel on some bits and the hot air method on the rest. The hot air method needs some practice as the you need to get the decal warm enough for the adhesive to soften so you can peel the vinyl off but not too hot that the vinyl stretches and breaks off into small pieces. Once you've peeled the vinyl off your're left with the adhesive which has to be dissolved/softened and scraped off.
After trying various solvents I found this Alkaline based degreasant, Marine Clean, to work the best http://www.frost.co.uk/cleaner-degrease ... clean.html, spray this stuff on and the adhesive turns to goo then you can scrape if off with a plastic sharpe edged scraper. Don't be tempted to use anything other than softer plastic edge, metal items will scratch the paint and lacer.

It was worth the effort in the end as the new panels look much fresher.
pauldeb
Junior Bongonaut

Post by pauldeb » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:19 am

The 3m adhesive remover is a good product. Wd40 will work also but don't forget to clean the surface after using it.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:43 am

I was too cowardly to use a toffee wheel after hearing the warnings though it does seem to be the tool favoured by pros.

I removed all the original stickers (lower silver sheets and graphics) with hairdryer to soften and remove plastic, then petrol and plastic scrapers to remove the glue. Hard work and took an age but results were excellent. Better still, returned the hairdryer to Mrs M in full working order, phew!

I did try other solvents like alcohol, white spirit and meths instead of petrol, but settled for petrol. Cleaned the paintwork afterwards with alcohol to remove any oily residues. I also used alcohol as the final clean before applying new decals - they don't stick well on waxed paint! Not an expert, just personal experience!
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Mark Norton
Bongonaut

Post by Mark Norton » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:13 pm

I have just done this, I used a heat gun and a small plastic scraper (that came with a can of car body filler). This got the decals off but left a glue residue.
On the glue residue I used car paint thinners (Brake cleaner seemed to work but I ran out) on a cloth and again the plastic scraper.
Got quick at it, 15 minutes to do one AFT side.

Petrol, WD40, Locktite Degreaser etc nothing seemed to touch the glue, I was worried about thinners in case it brought off the paint but no problem & no damage to the paint.

I need to re spray part of the AFT roof any Ideas as to what is a reasonable colour paint in spray cans?

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”