DIY interior spray job

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Bongalow Bill
Junior Bongonaut

DIY interior spray job

Post by Bongalow Bill » Mon May 16, 2016 2:39 pm

Anyone ever removed any grey interior trim and spray painted it? Mostly thinking of the stuff around the windows..also thinking a coloured fabric spray on the blinds??
8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Re: DIY interior spray job

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Tue May 17, 2016 8:56 pm

I think I recall someone mentioning spraying the blind fabric. Spray painting the interior sounds like a good idea. I will be keeping my eye on this topic and see if it's something i can do too :)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed May 18, 2016 4:23 am

Hi
Remember to use the correct plastic paint...standard car paint will flake
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Bongalow Bill
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Bongalow Bill » Wed May 18, 2016 9:08 am

Sounds good, plastic paint it is then, think I may just fabric spray the blinds too instead of replacing them.. bongoing on a budget
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed May 18, 2016 10:52 am

Hi
If you haven't used it before, you need to go to an Auto. paint factor, and ask for paint used for plastic bumpers. It's very durable
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Sat May 21, 2016 1:38 pm

Hi Helen, where would we get the páint for the interior plastics. Would a car paint shop be the place or is it B&Q and what exactly do we ask for?

Been trying to clèan my interior today ánd the G101 is doing a great job but the scratches are even more annoying nòw.

Thanks Helen x
8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Sat May 21, 2016 1:40 pm

Bongalow Bill wrote:Sounds good, plastic paint it is then, think I may just fabric spray the blinds too instead of replacing them.. bongoing on a budget
Remember to post before and after photos :) xx
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun May 22, 2016 4:01 am

Hi
The i/net or a browse in the Yellow Pages will find you a local auto paint factor...look down "car" , "motor" and "Auto" paint factors / suppliers, and literally go and speak to them...The type I used had a pre-cleaner, a primer and a top-coat. The primer tends to melt the plastic surface to allow the paint to bond, but before I cleaned the dash etc. I cleaned it with thinners to REALLY make the surface tacky....
All through the process, you MUST wear a quality mask...the paint factor will supply a good one...I guess they are about £20.00 , so not too dear!...Clean the glass well round any adjoining areas, plus put plenty of masking paper / plastic around to protect the interior. The masking may well take longer than the painting on the inside. Follow the instructions carefully on the tins , and you'll be fine. The one I used was available in aerosols, BUT a proper paint factor will fill aerosols for you!
DO NOT use ordinary paint or it will end in tears a few years down the line...despite what people say....I have had my larger German Shepherd exercise his claws on my dash with no problem, and it still looks good 11 years after I painted it, and it gets a lot of sun on it!
Bumper paint is what you need because it's durable
Cheers
Helen
8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Sun May 22, 2016 9:11 am

Helen, you're a star :). Thanks. There is car paint shop near here so will try and get there next weekend and see what they have. I'm glad you mentioned doing it in situ as was wondering how big a job it would be to remove it all to paint it outside. Not very tech minded and don't think able family members would be willing (don't think they've recovered from all the recent work yet).

I assume I can get quite a good colour match...

Think this will make a massive difference :) xx
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon May 23, 2016 5:15 am

Hi
Detail the bits you want to spray, and I'll give you a clue how to do it. I did my dash top and centre consol, as it had a previous owner in Japan who liked stick-on 'phone accessories etc. If you have any difficulties in paint finding, let me know.You should find a match for paint colour, but it's down to you...you might want to change it?....also, as the proper paints are for bumper repairs, you can imagine the shades available,and a good paint supplier will have some colour cards to take to the car and compare. Let us know how you get on.
Cheers
Helen

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”