Secret Subwoofer

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

bongojoe
Bongolier

Secret Subwoofer

Post by bongojoe » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:20 pm

For quite some time, I've been trying to figure out where I could hide a subwoofer in our bongo - there's just not enough oomph in the stereo, particularly when it's fighting with the drone of the diesel engine. I'd wondered about under one of the seats, or behind the glove compartment, but there's just not enough space.

Then it hit me...

When our conversion was done they left the little flip-over seat behind the driver's seat, which is completely useless and just awkwardly fills the space between the seat and the kitchen unit. By removing that, it left ample space for sub and a couple of sturdy bolt-holes to fix it all to.

I built a box out of 18mm MDF, bought a cheap Chinese amplifier on eBay, and fitted it all together with an old woofer I've had lying around for years.

When the seat's in its normal position you can barely see it, and you get a nice boom...boom...boom in your kidneys as you drive along!

Perfect!
1999 2WD 2.5L Diesel AFT
stuc
Supreme Being

Re: Secret Subwoofer

Post by stuc » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:40 pm

I like that, I've got a 10" sub in a box in the back and the amp is fitted on the back of the engine hump, it's just gone off today so need to look at it. I've just remembered I have a couple of amps in the garage I need to put on the well known auction site. One is a 1000w 4 channel amp, quite powerful but no space to fit it, so I got a smaller one.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:49 am

I like that. As I'm unconverted at the moment and constantly have different arrangement of seats I've not been able to find anywhere either. However I'm developing a removeable solution for right at the back, just trying to work out how to disconnect 0 gauge cable and leave it safe!
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
JoeC
Bongolier

Post by JoeC » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:28 pm

Good idea. Will have to look at that when I get a Bongo.
Does it not rattle your table when it is stored?
bongojoe
Bongolier

Post by bongojoe » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:57 pm

Luckily the seat holds the table in place, but I do need to find a better way to secure it.
1999 2WD 2.5L Diesel AFT
jonnyred
Bongonaut

Post by jonnyred » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:23 pm

i would be interested to know / see how you wired your sub please, been thinking of doing the same thing. Where do you power it from and what connection to your stereo ?
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, in midi side conversion 2002 LPG V6, solar panel
bongojoe
Bongolier

Post by bongojoe » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:29 am

It has its own amp, built into the side of the cabinet (eBay job - £20 straight from China), powered directly from the leisure battery independently of the stereo.

My stereo (a Pioneer) has a dedicated subwoofer audio output, lots of subwoofer controls and options, and a switch which powers up the sub when the stereo is on. So it pretty much takes care of itself now.
1999 2WD 2.5L Diesel AFT
jonnyred
Bongonaut

Post by jonnyred » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:10 pm

i have been on for doing exactly the same, although im thinking of buying a 2.1 amp with blurtooth on and using it to run a sub and a couple of componant speakers to make it an all round box. stick a laptop battery in and it should be able work stand alone or mains.
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, in midi side conversion 2002 LPG V6, solar panel
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:22 pm

Looks good use of space, that is where our fuse box and mains charger live - so that space is already used up on ours.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”