Painting AFT

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

elbee
Bongolier

Painting AFT

Post by elbee » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:46 pm

Finally got around to painting my AFT as it was shockingly bad :!: there were deep scratches on parts of the roof, the paintwork was really dull almost matt finish and the decals were flaking off. I debated with getting it re sprayed but couldn't justify spending £400 so I did some research on different paints that can be applied by a roller. I decided to try a paint called Rustoleum, it can be applied with a brush or roller. The idea is that you apply with a roller then leave for a week, lightly sand any high points or runs with very fine wet and dry paper (used wet) then use cutting polish to remove orange peel effect caused by the roller.

I started by removing decals and filling deep scratches with body filler, then sanded the whole roof with an orbital sander, a quick rub over with panel wipe and a tack cloth and then I masked up the edges where the seal meets the AFT, I applied the paint with a mini foam gloss roller and used a brush on the edges, then went over the brush marks with the roller. The paint is touch dry in 2 hours but take off the masking tape while it is still tacky or you will have a problem getting it off. I must admit the initial results are impressive, nice glossy finish with little orange peel effect , I will leave for a week now before cutting back. I used 1 litre of paint at a cost of £20 plus masking tape panel wipe sanding discs etc about £40 total I guess. :D
notlob
Bongolier

Re: Painting AFT

Post by notlob » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:57 pm

Good job,

Heard good things about rustoleum and know of someone who hand painted a whole car with it to good effect.

Dave
elbee
Bongolier

Post by elbee » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:18 pm

Yes I've seen a few YouTube videos of people painting whole cars with the stuff and even VW campers, I wonder if anyone has painted a complete Bongo with rustoleum yet? :)
notlob
Bongolier

Post by notlob » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:53 pm

Before the Bongo I had a 1990 Renault Traffic Camper which was "challenged" in the paint dept and I was seriously considering a repaint with this stuff. In the 1990's I repainted an Old Austin A35 with enamel paint using a good quality brush and it looked great until you got within about 6 feet!

The Bongo paint is currently much too good for that treatment at the moment!

Dave
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:14 pm

Slightly off on a tangent, but many years ago there was a chap down the pub who was very gullible and asked around for 'paint that was good for rust' for his car. Someone jokingly told him emulsion paint was excellent for rust, so he rubbed the bodywork down and painted his entire car in white emulsion. Needless to say, the rust was spectacular as soon as it came through :D. Oh how we laughed every time we saw it with more and more orangey brown splodges all over it.
elbee
Bongolier

Post by elbee » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:31 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Slightly off on a tangent, but many years ago there was a chap down the pub who was very gullible and asked around for 'paint that was good for rust' for his car. Someone jokingly told him emulsion paint was excellent for rust, so he rubbed the bodywork down and painted his entire car in white emulsion. Needless to say, the rust was spectacular as soon as it came through :D. Oh how we laughed every time we saw it with more and more orangey brown splodges all over it.
Great story Simon! :D
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:06 am

Very interesting post,will look forward to hearing about the end result.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:46 am

Hi
Depending on whether you can find a supplier, coach paint is very good for the AFT....depending on whether you are skilled with a brush, and you use decent brushes ....NOT the usual DIY rubbishy brushes
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:07 am

I had a few cars vans etc painted with Valspar pant (brush) these were done by a professional painter & decorator, and the end result was amazing.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:34 am

Hi Rita
True...if you're any good with a real quality set of brushes and some proper coach paint, it is possible to get a finish matching a reasonable spray job....but NOT with metallic :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:03 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi Rita
True...if you're any good with a real quality set of brushes and some proper coach paint, it is possible to get a finish matching a reasonable spray job....but NOT with metallic :lol:
Cheers
Helen
Sorry don't understand this bit, maybe you could explain.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:33 pm

Hi
Metallic paint has to be sprayed on, as the tiny particles are held in suspension, and when sprayed, the paint is blown as an even homogenous coat which dries quickly. If it didn't dry quickly, then the metallic particles MAY sag within the coating and produce areas of conglomerated streaks due to the particles being heavier than the solvent . Also, you can get an electrostatic conglomeration if the drying isn't quick. With brush application, the particles are distributed in stripes as they are dragged by the brush, and simply cannot be spread properly and evenly.
Solid colours are fine, and you can use quite a number of techniques with a brush, and some very nice effects.
Cheers
Helen
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:23 pm

What an excellent idea - lateral thinking, and a textured finish can provide a great contrast to the spray finish =D>
elbee
Bongolier

Post by elbee » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:20 pm

Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:50 pm

Impressive results with a roller.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”