CAT FLAP INNER ROOF REVERSAL *DO NOT DELETE*

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Velocette
Supreme Being

Re: CAT FLAP INNER ROOF REVERSAL

Post by Velocette » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:31 pm

peterrc wrote:I've only ever had to press lock cancel once, and then hold the close swith in until the beeping stops confused ??? Do you mean stopping halfway to check the tent is folded in correctly? Mrs V usually watches for me or I take a chance.
I have always assumed that you have to press the lock cancel twice. Once to start and a second time half way down. I live and learn.
I think the instructions do say to stop half way and check. The only time I have had to press it twice is if I have been slow closing the hatch due to the mattress or bedding being in the way. The timer and speed of roof decent might vary from car to car, I do spray all the moving metalwork with GT85 once every outing, maybe that speeds it up. :)
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
tonyj
Bongonaut

Post by tonyj » Mon May 06, 2013 1:09 pm

hi there... hope someone can help from this topic...

trying to remove entirely the inner roof but cannot fathom the 2 big black hinges at the back of the roof that hold the inner roof to the roof top (where you disconnect the interior light electrics). there are no bolts to simply undo, do i have to remove the roof lining of the "main" bongo roof under the hinges to get underneath them???

tried looking at the schematics but no real help.

1996 aft.

any help much appreciated.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon May 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Have you undone the nuts that secure the black hinges to the roof? They are accessed by removing the two blanking plugs in the headlining.
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Mon May 06, 2013 2:04 pm

tonyj wrote:hi there... hope someone can help from this topic...

trying to remove entirely the inner roof but cannot fathom the 2 big black hinges at the back of the roof that hold the inner roof to the roof top (where you disconnect the interior light electrics). there are no bolts to simply undo, do i have to remove the roof lining of the "main" bongo roof under the hinges to get underneath them???

tried looking at the schematics but no real help.

1996 aft.

any help much appreciated.
You can either remove the hinge pins. A small screw driver either side of the spiral washer will do that,
Or undo the shiney bolt that attaches the hinge to the inner roof. I prefer th remove the hinge pins as they are easier to align and there is no chance of getting a crossed thread.
Electrical wise there is a plug to disconnect near the off side hinge.
tonyj
Bongonaut

Post by tonyj » Mon May 13, 2013 1:48 pm

thanks for the info, they were a bit of a swine to get off but didnt break anything in the end, apart from a screwdriver getting bent.

inner roof came out nice and clean, heavey thing!
have put my own "single bed" version up made from bed boards, am considering getting a scrappy hydraulic arm to be able to lift it up, as the bongo ones seem to be permanently attached to the inner roof...
Dave n Kate
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Dave n Kate » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi, sorry to revive an old thread but best to have all the info in the same place i guess?

I have removed my inner roof ready to turn it around. Now I'm about to drill new holes in the opposite end of the inner roof to attach it back onto the big black back hinges on the bongo body.

My question is.. in the original post 'heavylevy' said
"So now I lifted the roof back in and used two new bolts to fix the inner roof to the hinges."
but what bolts? Coach screws? Self tapping screws?
There wont be a thread in the holes i drill, so If anybody else has done this, what did you use. Or how would you do it?

Thanks for any help.

Dave
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:49 pm

If you look at the original description http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 96#p563796
he says;
Mounting the hinges is no problem. There is a corresponding attachment bolt at the opposite end of the inner roof. You have to look, it may be covered with material.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Dave n Kate
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Dave n Kate » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:11 pm

Thanks for that, but unfortunately we have the same issue as heavylevy has mentioned and have no holes under the material. We've already measured and marked where the new holes will go and cut away the fabric but unsure what type of bolts to use once we've drilled the holes as there will be no thread. Thanks :)

heavylevy wrote: I was a little dismayed not to find threaded holes on the other end of the roof but measured and drilled two new holes. They come just inside the strengthening braces that run down the middle of the roof.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:22 pm

tonyj wrote: am considering getting a scrappy hydraulic arm to be able to lift it up, as the bongo ones seem to be permanently attached to the inner roof...
they just screw out, put a spanner on it it will undo, there are captive nuts/rivnuts inside the roof flap.
heavylevy
Bongonaut

Post by heavylevy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:06 pm

HI DAVE & KATE
Pm sent
cheers
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Dave n Kate
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Dave n Kate » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:11 pm

heavylevy wrote:HI DAVE & KATE
Pm sent
cheers
A big thanks to heavylevy =D> who explained it all to me.
I was under the impression that the strengthening bars inside the inner roof were solid aluminum and would need threading when i drilled the new bolt holes, but it turns out that the bars are hollow. When you drill your new holes, you can slip a nut behind the hole via small gaps in the corners of the cat-flap-hole.
Confused? I was too. It all worked out though, the holes are now drilled, and the hinges and bolts in place :)
Thanks again to heavyleavy and everyone else who tried to help.

Dave and Kate. Llandudno.
heavylevy
Bongonaut

Post by heavylevy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:38 am

Not a problem and what great satisfaction you have that you did it yourself and not paid to have it done :D :D
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
bongobrod
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bongobrod » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:50 pm

Thanks everyone. I just turned the roof around and am very pleased with it. I also ran a wire through so that I can get the interior light working too. I had been considering a roof conversion but am so pleased I didnt. Has anyone come up with a good solution to keep the cat flap open. Its already fallen once and trapped little fingers! Just need to reconfigure the roof mattress now.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:15 am

Why not remove the hinge pins and use it as a sliding hatch ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:14 am

Hi Dave I Kate, I reversed the hatch so that the hinges were at the rear, attached with self tappers. I then fitted a piece of rod to the skylight shutter which when in the shut position held the hatch open.
Peter

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”