CAT FLAP INNER ROOF REVERSAL *DO NOT DELETE*

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

heavylevy
Bongonaut

CAT FLAP INNER ROOF REVERSAL *DO NOT DELETE*

Post by heavylevy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:03 pm

Just turned around our inner roof as seen on this forum and blimey wish I had done it months ago. Had been contemplating the roof chop but was put off by prospect of cutting and modding the roof & the cost of buying one from a converter. So was intreged when I read about the above so I took the plunge. Firstly I unplugged the roof light then I loosened the roof lifting struts from the sides,next was to undo the two bolts that fix the hinges to the inner roof. With these out I removed the loosened bolts from the struts and removed the roof. I was a little dismayed not to find threaded holes on the other end of the roof but measured and drilled two new holes. They come just inside the strengthening braces that run down the middle of the roof.
Also at this time I drilled out the rivets holding the hinges of the cat flap to the inner roof.
I also opted to run a 3 core cable though the roof for the light.So now I lifted the roof back in and used two new bolts to fix the inner roof to the hinges.
Next was to fix the struts to the existing holes nearest the front of the bongo and drilling two new holes for self tapping screws. Now with the roof suspended I connected the light wires both at the front and the back and tested it.
Once that was done I shut the inner roof and climbed up into the roof and drilled out new holes to fix the now turned around cat flap.
Hope this inspires you to have a go as it not to difficult and you can always put it back the way it was
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
peterrc
Bongolier

Re: CAT FLAP INNER ROOF REVERSAL

Post by peterrc » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:21 pm

Glad you found my post useful. Can't understand why it has not been done before.
Peter, Fife
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:47 pm

I'm confused. Have you just turned around the roof or cut the roof to make the cat flap and turned it around so flap opens from front end?
I love cheese!
roofraisers
Bongolier

Post by roofraisers » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:43 pm

This is what they are talking about Cat.

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... ap#p563701

Nigel.
heavylevy
Bongonaut

Post by heavylevy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:58 pm

That's what I'm talking about brilliant modification thanks indeed :D :D
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:29 pm

roofraisers wrote:This is what they are talking about Cat.

Nigel.
Ahhh, I see, Good idea and definitely another alternative that doesn't need re-inforcement but have to say I still prefer our design "The Cat flap" This one still means accessing the roof via the cat flap and can't have two kids up there and leave the flap open like we can in ours.

The cat flap we designed is not £250 it's £135 I believe. Easier to get in and out in the middle of the night too as it's the end of the bed only that has to come up if one of you wants to go down :)
I love cheese!
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 pm

umbongocat wrote:

Nigel.
Ahhh, I see, Good idea and definitely another alternative that doesn't need re-inforcement but have to say I still prefer our design "The Cat flap" This one still means accessing the roof via the cat flap and can't have two kids up there and leave the flap open like we can in ours.

The cat flap we designed is not £250 it's £135 I believe. Easier to get in and out in the middle of the night too as it's the end of the bed only that has to come up if one of you wants to go down :)
Yes you can have 2 kids up there and leave the 'Fife Cat Flap' open. It is at the end of the bed and easy to get in and out . Whether it is £250 or £135 it is still a lot of 'Pimping Pennies' to spend on something else.
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:36 pm

peterrc wrote:
umbongocat wrote:

Nigel.

Yes you can have 2 kids up there and leave the 'Fife Cat Flap' open. It is at the end of the bed and easy to get in and out . Whether it is £250 or £135 it is still a lot of 'Pimping Pennies' to spend on something else.

Glad you've found a good alternative that suits you. We looked at turning the roof round but personally found having the whole of the bottom bit open easier than staying with the existing little hatch which we found a real pain. Great you've found something that suits you and costs you nothing :)

the £250.00 was a price from someone else doing adaptations to bongo roofs which we felt was a huge amount since they were taking away the whole roof and keeping it as well as charging that price. We came up with the idea of the cutting of the roof which was taken by 321 away with our permission and then named the 'catflap'. It's been pretty popular but great there is alternative ideas out there for others who don't want the whole of the back open :)
I love cheese!
Hanksy
Bongolier

Post by Hanksy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:25 pm

heavylevy wrote:Just turned around our inner roof as seen on this forum and blimey wish I had done it months ago. Had been contemplating the roof chop but was put off by prospect of cutting and modding the roof & the cost of buying one from a converter. So was intreged when I read about the above so I took the plunge. Firstly I unplugged the roof light then I loosened the roof lifting struts from the sides,next was to undo the two bolts that fix the hinges to the inner roof. With these out I removed the loosened bolts from the struts and removed the roof. I was a little dismayed not to find threaded holes on the other end of the roof but measured and drilled two new holes. They come just inside the strengthening braces that run down the middle of the roof.
Also at this time I drilled out the rivets holding the hinges of the cat flap to the inner roof.
I also opted to run a 3 core cable though the roof for the light.So now I lifted the roof back in and used two new bolts to fix the inner roof to the hinges.
Next was to fix the struts to the existing holes nearest the front of the bongo and drilling two new holes for self tapping screws. Now with the roof suspended I connected the light wires both at the front and the back and tested it.
Once that was done I shut the inner roof and climbed up into the roof and drilled out new holes to fix the now turned around cat flap.
Hope this inspires you to have a go as it not to difficult and you can always put it back the way it was
well it inspired me to have a go it took me about 2 hours and i had a cup of tea in that time too :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i just need to reconnect the light (all cables are in just need to buy some through crimps and im done)

the kids tried it out and they can lie down without their feet getting to the hatch, so all is good. I might put a little hook on it or something to keep the flap open when climbing in but the sliding roof window blind holds it quite well for now :D

Thanks for the inspiration =D> =D>
onewheeltoofew
Bongonaut

Post by onewheeltoofew » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:15 pm

I completely agree. I've just done the mod myself, well, half of it. The twins started screaming before I could reattach it to the hinges and rewire the light; so I had to call it a day. But just seeing it in place in the new orientation makes a lot of sense. It's easier to get into the roof with the rock and roll bed in either position. Before it was a bit of a clamber to get up there when the bed wasn't folded out. And even though we've mainly done it to improve access the kids in the roof, it makes sense for adults too. All the other half has to do is move their legs to one side of the hatch and you have full exit/access for the nightly pit stop.

Thanks for the inspiration +1 :wink:
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:19 am

onewheeltoofew wrote:I completely agree. I've just done the mod myself, well, half of it. The twins started screaming before I could reattach it to the hinges and rewire the light; so I had to call it a day. But just seeing it in place in the new orientation makes a lot of sense. It's easier to get into the roof with the rock and roll bed in either position. Before it was a bit of a clamber to get up there when the bed wasn't folded out. And even though we've mainly done it to improve access the kids in the roof, it makes sense for adults too. All the other half has to do is move their legs to one side of the hatch and you have full exit/access for the nightly pit stop.

Hi, glad that you found the 'Fife Cat Flap' easy. I hold the cat flap open with the sunroof blind but I am sure that a shoot bolt could be fitted to the cat flap to engage with the sunroof runners.
The most difficult bit is switching the hood lock off when it is half way down. Luckily I have long arms.
Happy camping.
Hanksy
Bongolier

Post by Hanksy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:19 am

peterrc wrote:
onewheeltoofew wrote:I completely agree. I've just done the mod myself, well, half of it. The twins started screaming before I could reattach it to the hinges and rewire the light; so I had to call it a day. But just seeing it in place in the new orientation makes a lot of sense. It's easier to get into the roof with the rock and roll bed in either position. Before it was a bit of a clamber to get up there when the bed wasn't folded out. And even though we've mainly done it to improve access the kids in the roof, it makes sense for adults too. All the other half has to do is move their legs to one side of the hatch and you have full exit/access for the nightly pit stop.

Hi, glad that you found the 'Fife Cat Flap' easy. I hold the cat flap open with the sunroof blind but I am sure that a shoot bolt could be fitted to the cat flap to engage with the sunroof runners.
The most difficult bit is switching the hood lock off when it is half way down. Luckily I have long arms.
Happy camping.

i don't need to press my roof lock off half way, i just release and press the normal atf close button again..and it starts closing again
heavylevy
Bongonaut

Post by heavylevy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:46 am

Glad it works for you :D :D and it gives a sense of achievement of something you have done and not had it done for you =D> =D>
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:16 pm

Hanksy wrote:
peterrc wrote:

Happy camping.

i don't need to press my roof lock off half way, i just release and press the normal atf close button again..and it starts closing again
I've only ever had to press lock cancel once, and then hold the close swith in until the beeping stops confused ??? Do you mean stopping halfway to check the tent is folded in correctly? Mrs V usually watches for me or I take a chance.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:21 pm

I've only ever had to press lock cancel once, and then hold the close swith in until the beeping stops confused ??? Do you mean stopping halfway to check the tent is folded in correctly? Mrs V usually watches for me or I take a chance.
I have always assumed that you have to press the lock cancel twice. Once to start and a second time half way down. I live and learn.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”