Importing a UK registered Bongo to Switzerland?

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Printer
Bongonaut

Importing a UK registered Bongo to Switzerland?

Post by Printer » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:25 am

Hi guys

Does anyone have experience importing a RHD UK registered Bongo into Switzerland? I had a Bongo for 3 years and imported it to Ireland but I sold it last year after moving here. Now I miss it and want to buy another one... but I'm concerned as to whether I would be able to import here to Switzerland where I live.

It seems it may be too difficult so I'd love to know if anyone has experience with it.

1. If I own it for 6 months, it seems that is the best way to bring it in so I think I'd have to buy it (it is a friend of mine who is selling it) now and get it registered to me BUT I do not have a UK address. Can I buy a Bongo from a UK person and register it through the DVLA to someone who lives outside the country?

2. If I do this and then bring it to Switzerland as a RHD will I be able to register it here or will that cause difficulties?

Any advice would be great!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Importing a UK registered Bongo to Switzerland?

Post by helen&tony » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:16 pm

Hi
Does the 6 month rule still apply?...I thought that was stopped. Anyway, can you find a family member with an address you can use?...in which case, buy it, and register yourself there...after a period, just take it to Switzerland and drive it...After an appropriate period - namely when someone notices that you still have it on UK plates, and remarks, then's the time to register it. Before you take it out of the country, make sure that you're taxed and insured for a year, or you won't be able to drive back to the UK. Many people just drive back to Blightey once a year to tax / insure / MOT the vehicle if they have any difficulty.
Switzerland isn't officially EU, as you know, but within the EU , you should be able to re- register if you are already the owner, so , perhaps, Switzerland may oblige you. Your best bet would be to write to the Swiss Motoring organisations (equivalent to AA / RAC), and they may help...I say MAY, as I wrote to most popular countries motoring organisations, and only Italy and Southern Ireland were helpful :roll: :roll:
You could try Anglo Info for the Canton you live in...Here's the Zurich one as an Example: http://zurich.angloinfo.com/
Other countries differ
We had hassles in Bulgaria, but it's a lot easier now!...We managed without, but bribery usually works here :lol:
One hassle you may have (I did), is that the Japanese VIN plate isn't acceptable...it's riveted on, or stuck....Many countries require the numbers stamped in for that age of vehicle...but there is a chassis number under the driver's side under the bonnet below the windscreen...that usually works!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.

Return to “Going Abroad”