In France - rear exhaust fallen off - advice appreciated!

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

JudeSunFlower
Apprentice Bongonaut

In France - rear exhaust fallen off - advice appreciated!

Post by JudeSunFlower » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:29 pm

The rear section of my exhaust fell of my 1999 Mazda Bongo (2.5 TD) this afternoon. :( The pipe to the rear box has broken where it joins the box. Normally I'd just order another and arrange a fitting.
I have taken off the box which is still in reasonable shape and have the rubber fittings. It just needs to get my family and me through a few more days pottering about and a 200 mile drive back to the ferry.

Has anyone ever tried to get a Bongo exhaust supplied and repaired in France? If so do you have any advice - where to go etc.? I cannot really drive any distance with things as they are. I am worried nowhere will stock what I need and UK ordered parts are unlikely to arrive before I need to travel home.
Alternatively - can anyone recommend any temporary repairs?
Is it safe to drive a significant distance without the rear box fitted if I can secure the broken pipe?

I am in St Brieuc (Brittany). Thank you in advance.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: In France - rear exhaust fallen off - advice appreciated

Post by Bob » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:35 pm

Hi and welcome.

Mine fell off on the M5 a couple of years ago.

No probs returning home, no fumes in vehicle and very little noise (almost no increase).

I'm pretty sure you'll be ok to drive home.

Edit: you might do ok posting this in 'Techi' as more peeps will see it. :wink:
JudeSunFlower
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by JudeSunFlower » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:49 pm

Bob wrote:Hi and welcome.

Mine fell off on the M5 a couple of years ago.

No probs returning home, no fumes in vehicle and very little noise (almost no increase).

I'm pretty sure you'll be ok to drive home.

Edit: you might do ok posting this in 'Techi' as more peeps will see it. :wink:
Thank you for the advice. That is reassuring. If I cannot arrange a repair I'll see if I can secure what is left of the exhaust. Meanwhile I'll post my question in the 'Techi' section. Thanks again.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:52 pm

No worries.

Depending how far you have to drive once back in Blighty you could perhaps order an exhaust to be fitted at a Bongo friendly garage near your arrival port. :wink:
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:42 pm

Just go to an exhaust centre and ask them to fit a bit of pipe of the right diameter and suitable bend to go over the axle.

Quickfit (of all people) found me a Ford Connect tailpipe which just needed shortening a few inches at the rear and a different hanger. You can get U bolts with a spigot extension to fit the usual rubber thingies.

You don't need the silencer, it hardly makes any difference to the noise, may even improve the performance and will not fail an MoT (unless it leaks). Trust me. I ran it for three years until the pipe further forward needed renewing and I went back to Bongo parts.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:16 pm

John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)

Return to “Going Abroad”