headlight adaptors

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Kerry Allen
Junior Bongonaut

headlight adaptors

Post by Kerry Allen » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:26 pm

Hi, I am off to Germany in a Month, I have just got my headlight adaptor stickers and, of course, Bongos are not on the list, Does any one know how much / which part of the sticker I need and where I need to apply it?
Rebel Without A Clue.
briwy
Supreme Being

Re: headlight adaptors

Post by briwy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:50 pm

What year is your Bongo.

On the late ones there's a dot on the headlamp cover which you can then relate to the instructions.
Not sure about the earlier ones. To be honest I've never noticed much difference. I think as long as they are on somewhere then the plods aren't bothered. Lot of people don't seem to bother at all.
Kerry Allen
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Kerry Allen » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Mine's one of the oldies, it's an 'M' reg. '95. never noticed a dot, to be honest, never looked.
Rebel Without A Clue.
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Post by windywatson » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:39 pm

Hi,

Mine is a 97 reg and I've used headlamp adaptors on a number of occasions. There is usually a section at the end of the instructions showing some standard type of lens paterns. I have found that you can find the markings on the head lights that match some of these.
Of course I may have been using different make to the ones you have purchased. I've usually bought the ones from Halfords.
Hope this helps you a little.

Cheers
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:34 am

Hi
Try This:

Hope they're of use
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Kerry Allen
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Kerry Allen » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:44 am

That's brill everyone - thanks!
Rebel Without A Clue.
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:51 am

These are a good idea anyone speak Russian... or have a/know a metal workshop.....
Easy to fit and change bulbs when going over and change back when back in blighty
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:09 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Try This:

Hope they're of use
Cheers
Helen
What makes you think that they are in the right place? I've never managed to find anything that states where to put them on the Bongo and every Bongo I look at with them on they are in a different position. The instructions with mine said the baseline must be horizontal, which yours clearly isn't. As someone has already said, nobody will ever check that they are correctly positioned, just that you have some fitted.

A point worth noting though is that the glue that is used on those dissolves the surface f the headlight if you leave them on for a long time.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:30 am

Poohbear wrote:
helen&tony wrote:Hi
Try This:

Hope they're of use
Cheers
Helen
What makes you think that they are in the right place? I've never managed to find anything that states where to put them on the Bongo and every Bongo I look at with them on they are in a different position. The instructions with mine said the baseline must be horizontal, which yours clearly isn't. As someone has already said, nobody will ever check that they are correctly positioned, just that you have some fitted.

A point worth noting though is that the glue that is used on those dissolves the surface f the headlight if you leave them on for a long time.
Hi
What made me think?....errrr...It's called "stick 'em on and try", and they DID dip properly , otherwise I'd have taken them off and tried again :wink: ...furthermore, reading the instructions did suggest that was where they should be. The reference to the baseline depends on what pattern the flutes on the glass happen to be....Some Bongos are different.
Regards sticking them on, I replaced them every year for the MOT equivalent here, and they stayed on for 5 years with no damage to the headlights!
I don't have them now, as I have lights that switch dipping position for left or right dip!...VERY handy, but as I live in Europe, they stay put.
Regarding alignment, the beam aligners efficacy depends on the skill of the operator, as I've often had to re-align after an MOT....I like my lights to dip with the light nearest to the centre of the road just a way inside the centre white line and dipped on the road, and the nearside one highlighting the edge of the road and dipped, and I've come back from MOT centres with one pointing up into the trees, and one blinding other drivers....and that was in the UK!!!!....Over here, they don't necessarily look too hard at lights on the MOT :roll: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:26 pm

I have tied on numerous occasions to get these to work without any success on all sorts of vehicles. Complete waste of time in my opinion but as mentioned so long as they are on nobody seems to bother.
I just leave them on now all the time and the MOT guy was quite happy about it.
He reckons the best thing to do is to get some black sticky plastic, shine the lights on a flat wall and keep moving it around until the beam is flat. Even offered to do it for me on his beam setter.
the laird
Supreme Being

Post by the laird » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:55 pm

I've used duck tape on several occasions cheaper toooo cause I always carry duck tape in bongo
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:40 am

Hi Briwy
Errr...They aren't that good, as you say, and I always found that they fuzz the light a bit where they approximate to the white line at the centre of the road rather than actually convert the dip...I just kept them on for legal reasons if stopped!!!! I rely on spotlights if needed :lol:
Cheers
Helen
upthebeacon
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by upthebeacon » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:38 pm

For those of you who may have a newer bongo (mine is a 2002) I emailed [email protected] this week to ask about how to position the eurolites on my bongo as it is not included in the instructions. A very helpful chap emailed the following picture back. He also told me that you only need the circular part of the adaptor and discard the winged bit and also showed in the photo exactly where they go. Hope this may be of some use.

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/trippmi ... sort=3&o=0

Return to “Going Abroad”