internet on the go (again!)

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

mikexgough
Supreme Being

Re: internet on the go (again!)

Post by mikexgough » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:53 pm

briwy wrote:Tony.

Another option is to get yourself a smartphone, new or s/h, most of these have an option to use it as a router which you then use in the normal way to connect your computer to.

This uses the data allowance on your phone or PAYG data which I assume is the same sort of thing that Geoff is talking about with the MiFi units.
I have used my Galaxy S3 this way with the Lappy.... stonking fast on 4G.... easy to tether with a passcode so other 'net users don't piggy back from you.... was nabbed like that with the previous smartphone.... we were surfing on the notebook for local info and to place an order....and suddenly "Gilly-PC" popped up on the smartphone as connected.... [-X didn't want to pay the C&CC wifi charge.... [-X needless to say....instant disconnection and passcode used...
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:13 pm

downward dog wrote:I have just come back from a 5 week bongo jaunt across nations (didn't see another bongo at all), using a mobile hotspot (MF60) and a roamline sim, superb, no problems, no barriers and the roamline sim can be used, pay only for what you use, worldwide. Simple, portable, easy, and you can use up to 5 devices on it at the same time.

That looks pretty good.
I had a worldwide phone sim a while ago but couldn't find a data one, what speeds were you getting on it? I have used my O2 sim for data in the past in France but the speed was terrible.
downward dog
Bongolier

Post by downward dog » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:37 pm

No clue as to speeds, as i just use for browsing and emails, I have found speed/response time does vary, but the sheer convenience to just connect more or less anywhere, and in any country, including gb, is the clincher. the MF60 and roamline can be used with any type of kit so I could take either laptop and/or tablet. I researched data cards ad-nauseum before plumping for roamline, they email your usage monthly, and you can data cap your usage to prevent high bills or use by others if your mobile hotspot is stolen. The MF60 is small too, only as big as a small mobile phone.
billfrankitty
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by billfrankitty » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:50 pm

downward dog wrote:I have just come back from a 5 week bongo jaunt across nations (didn't see another bongo at all), using a mobile hotspot (MF60) and a roamline sim, superb, no problems, no barriers and the roamline sim can be used, pay only for what you use, worldwide. Simple, portable, easy, and you can use up to 5 devices on it at the same time.
Hi DD, thanks for this, it seems really cool. Can I ask, did you buy the MF60 through a phone provider, and was it locked ?

But thanks for posting this, it looks really cool =D>

Bill
downward dog
Bongolier

Post by downward dog » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:13 pm

Nope, I bought it on Amazon, unlocked, so that I could use the roamline card. I have had another month away since, and it still did it's stuff, using roamline when I could not use free wifi.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:04 pm

downward dog wrote:Nope, I bought it on Amazon, unlocked, so that I could use the roamline card. I have had another month away since, and it still did it's stuff, using roamline when I could not use free wifi.
Hi DD. Brill bit of research. Really like the look of the roamline SIM just because there is no expiry etc etc. Did you consider the Roamline ROAMSPOT (their own mifi, actually a badged Huawei E5331)? Have you felt the need for the extra aerial with the MF60 or used as is?
Just doing some sums on the cost. I reckon that £10 would buy about 30Mb (1Mb costs €0.39) which seems quite expensive. At a rough estimate my mobile phone averages a little under 20Mb/day. Standard O2 roaming charges are £2 per 15Mb per day. Have I got this very wrong? :?: Please tell me I have :mrgreen: - it seems such a neat solution. 8)
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
downward dog
Bongolier

Post by downward dog » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:07 am

It's expensive, if you are a 'proper' internet user...for us it's emails and minor browsing, we use it for choosing/booking onward sites and booking ferries online to come home..stuff like that (oh yes and for organising alternators to be shipped out to the Alps when it goes kaput!!). I liked the unit as it was neat and had good reviews regarding signal. Just stick it on the shelfy bit where the pop up roof is fixed down and off you go (sorry tintoppers). Never vaguely needed an additional ariel..... We also take it and the tablet with us when we go in't car for a B and B weekend or whatever. We just had a couple of days in a B and b in Norfolk with supposed wifi....NOT! but the hotspot sorted us out for tide tables (birdwatching!) pub menus and various opening times etc. Its great that it's now sat at home in a drawer costing me nothing.
I would not use it for 'recreational' use, that would be expensive, and I still lurk outside campsite toilets if necessary to get the free wifi. (That sounded bad..but you know what I mean)
Horses for courses.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:28 am

Really useful, DD. thanks. Having used PAYG dongles in the past, i can see the take-it-out-of-the-drawer-and-use capability is so so convenient without the waste of top ups expiring.
Chris with BertieB
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:13 pm

the1andonly wrote:What would be best advice for UK only. Again we have no smart phones and need a magnifying glass to see the thing let alone the screen. The family uses payg phones on GIFGAF and it has cost me £10 since last easter (don't talk to many people). Considered a laptop as way to go as could also use as DVD player and the odd game of patience as well. Are there any unlocked dongles, what is the most cost effective

Do an upgrade and get a smart phone. I have free Samsung S4 and get unlimited internet, data, as well as call packages on a business deal for a reasonable monthly fee. Just tether your mobile with USB for use it as a Wi-Fi hub. I use it everywhere.

I carry a small netbook in me motor so we can surf anywhere when needed.

To be honest internet on the go is really a business tool so be prepared to pay to access it, it's reasonably priced but not cheap.

Dongles are crap in my opinion as they tend to rely on the signal strength of that provider where as a smart phone is quad band and gets signals almost anywhere using GPRS.
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:21 am

the1andonly wrote:What would be best advice for UK only. Again we have no smart phones and need a magnifying glass to see the thing let alone the screen. The family uses payg phones on GIFGAF and it has cost me £10 since last easter (don't talk to many people). Considered a laptop as way to go as could also use as DVD player and the odd game of patience as well. Are there any unlocked dongles, what is the most cost effective
If you wanted to stay with the GIFGAF option, GG allow tethering on Goodybag packages that have limited data but not on the Goodybags with unlimited data. Their current £10 Goodybag gives 1Gb. ... and if you go down the smartphone route but are staying PAYG, avoid iPhone.

If you are not up for converting to smartphone, your choice is either dongle, MiFi or a tablet combined with a UK PAYG SIM and pre-paid data package (cost effective per Gb but allowance expires at end of a predetermined period, dependent on provider and package, typically from a few days to a month. If expiry options make this expensive for your pattern of use, consider Downward Dog's Roamline suggestion). I think all major providers do PAYG data only packages (GiffGaff do Gigabags).

Personally, I have an iPhone which cannot be tethered on GiffGaff (or O2 PAYG), so when SWMBO's phone comes around for replacement we will replace it with an Android based smartphone probably running on GiffGaff's £10pm GoodyBag and use it for tethering.
ELZE wrote:Dongles are crap in my opinion as they tend to rely on the signal strength of that provider where as a smart phone is quad band and gets signals almost anywhere using GPRS.
Help me understand this a bit more! I thought a phone, with its installed SIM, is tied to a particular network and therefore still subject to the coverage of that provider for voice and data? Moreover since a dongle is data only, I would have thought that it only uses GPRS - maybe GSM as a last resort for an optional SMS capability?
Chris with BertieB
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:29 am

If all you are after is a connection in the UK look at this. It's free.

http://www.sambamobile.com/Home/Samba

I use one with a 4 year old HTC mobile and tether the laptop/tablet to it, coverage seems reasonable, at least as good as some providers. I find 3G coverage with Vodafone and Orange very hit and miss still out in the sticks.

You don't have to sit and watch the adverts, just run them and do something else.
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:11 pm

cmm303 wrote:
If you wanted to stay with the GIFGAF option, GG allow tethering on Goodybag packages that have limited data but not on the Goodybags with unlimited data. Their current £10 Goodybag gives 1Gb. ... and if you go down the smartphone route but are staying PAYG, avoid iPhone.

If you are not up for converting to smartphone, your choice is either dongle, MiFi or a tablet combined with a UK PAYG SIM and pre-paid data package (cost effective per Gb but allowance expires at end of a predetermined period, dependent on provider and package, typically from a few days to a month. If expiry options make this expensive for your pattern of use, consider Downward Dog's Roamline suggestion). I think all major providers do PAYG data only packages (GiffGaff do Gigabags).

Personally, I have an iPhone which cannot be tethered on GiffGaff (or O2 PAYG), so when SWMBO's phone comes around for replacement we will replace it with an Android based smartphone probably running on GiffGaff's £10pm GoodyBag and use it for tethering.
ELZE wrote:Dongles are crap in my opinion as they tend to rely on the signal strength of that provider where as a smart phone is quad band and gets signals almost anywhere using GPRS.
Help me understand this a bit more! I thought a phone, with its installed SIM, is tied to a particular network and therefore still subject to the coverage of that provider for voice and data? Moreover since a dongle is data only, I would have thought that it only uses GPRS - maybe GSM as a last resort for an optional SMS capability?

Quad band phoes have the capability to connect to most other networks as they usually have an agreement with each other! T mobile, 3, o2 etc, Dongles as I understand it don't!

If you purchase a dongle it can only access the purchased contract provider
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
Bisto_Blue
Bongonaut

Post by Bisto_Blue » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:34 pm

Take a look at dataroam.co.uk, I think their SIM equates to about 4p per MB in Europe... £39 for 1GB.

Also, if you are going abroad, and are a bit more technical, take a look at http://prepaidwithdata.wikia.com/ They keep an eye on the best PAYG sims in each country which you can use to get cheap local carrier data.

I posted a while ago about getting a months unlimited 3G access in France for about 15 euro.

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 38&t=49857
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:07 pm

Glad to see this has woke up concerning the Uk internet on the go.
Time to have another think
I've bought a laptop and big stick. (I hate windows 8 my sons told me I would) My isp gives me 30 free mins a month on BTconnect.
But using insidder (again thanks geof) in the middle of nowhere (suffolk) I once found one open network with good signal (given the name probably a commercial enterprise), however, windows couldn't see it let alone connect. Whats going on Doc

briwy like the idea of Samba
ps when you got your big stick was the location in the distance Barmouth?
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:49 pm

the1andonly wrote:
briwy like the idea of Samba
ps when you got your big stick was the location in the distance Barmouth?
Yes, Barmouth over the water. Cracking site. Free wifi from the outdoor centre down the road. :)

Return to “Going Abroad”