Possible Irish Bongo Bash

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

Ian
Supreme Being

Possible Irish Bongo Bash

Post by Ian » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:24 pm

We have to plan these things way in advance. We are thinking of holding an Irish Bongo Bash in 2018. No idea about the venue yet, or the month, but this website seems to have lots of goodies.

http://totalcampingireland.ie/

Has anyone got any recommendations?
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: Possible Irish Bongo Bash

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:18 pm

No recommendations for campsites as we didn't use any when we went there in 2012 but I'd strongly recommend the Clare / Kerry area in the SW corner. Second to that I'd go NW corner (Sligo / Donegal).

Aside from the folk who are already in Ireland it's expensive to get a Bongo over there so anyone contemplating it is sure to want to make it a week or more to justify the cost. Back then it was about £320.00 return from Liverpool (Liverpool-Belfast then Dublin-Liverpool), and it didn't seem to make any difference driving around to Stranraer, and that was March.

We'd still be interested in this though but would need to know dates early on to avoid booking other things at the same time.
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:50 pm

I've only got to see this now but looks like a great idea for us irish bongonuts !
I live in Lahinch right on the wild Atlantic way and Surf capital in Co. Clare and it would make a good location .
The main campervan park is my next door neighbour , ocean view caravan park I can talk to them if you wish and to be clear I've no connection with the business at all .
From here you can go south to Kerry and cork or north to Galway and mayo , all having really spectacular scenery .....but I'm biased :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Muzorewa is correct in that the ferries are expensive so I'd recommend that people would build in a holiday around this event
But imagine all that famous irish hospitality .........and proper guinness... :wink: :wink:
Brian
http://www.oceanviewpark.ie/
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:28 pm

That looks to be in a perfect area Brian.

I've just done a quick bit of Goggling and got some indicative return prices based on a hypothetical 15th June 2017 departure and 22nd June 2017 return, based on a high van (for Auto FreeTops), two adults and no caravan or trailer. I know the plan is for 2018 but you can't book that far in advance, so these are illustrative only. They're based on a summer, non-school holiday month and midweek (Thursday) sailings, and at sensible times of day. You can get cheaper if you go in the middle of the night and you can pay a lot more if you get Flexi-tickets. And it depends which month we end up going of course.

So for information only, your choices for ferries are:
Stena Line Birkenhead (Liverpool) - Belfast (£244.00)
Stena Line Cairnryan (Stranraer) - Belfast (£278.00)
Stena Line Fishguard (Wales) - Rosslare (£318.00)
Stena Line Holyhead (Anglesey) - Dublin (£330.00)
Irish Ferries Holyhead (Anglesey) - Dublin (£320.00)
Irish Ferries Pembroke (Wales) - Rosslare (£310.00)
P&O Ferries Cairnryan (Stranraer) - Larne (£267.00)
P&O Ferries Liverpool - Dublin (£233.00)

Clearly your route depends on where you're based in the UK but all the fares are very similar.

For anyone wanting a glimpse of what Hibernia has to offer, check out our 2012 tour report HERE where we sailed into Belfast and returned from Dublin...
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:06 pm

Brian, is Ocean View dog-friendly?
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:07 am

Don't expect to be able to make it this year as my pal wants me to go over to Amman in Jordan for a holiday with him, he has been over here with me twice in the last few years. I have always said that I would go over to Ireland one day as my dad told me that his side of the family came from County Clare originally.

Taking a look at the Civil Service Motoring Club site (one of the many that offer a wee discount) I found that as my motorhome is just under 6M long it is in the same class as a Bongo. Cheaper to sail on Mondays and Tuesdays depending on the time. Two people and a motorhome both being pensioners and getting another wee discount. Sailing in August and returning in September with Stena Line Cairnryan (Stranraer) - Belfast- Return £206.00.

Not too bad but it is 136 miles from my place to Cairnryan and half of the route was what I did the other weekend to get to Wanlockhead.
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
llitvack
Bongolier

Post by llitvack » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:22 am

Hi folks.
If you're thinking of Kerry there is a wonderful campsite near Cahersiveen, called Mannix Point.
See
http://www.campinginkerry.com/
It's run by a lovely, accommodations man called Mortimer, who couldn't do enough for us when we were there (including giving us a refund when we wanted to leave a day early)!
We stayed there last year, and had a great time: wonderful views, lovely town within easy walking distance, with great pubs, and a pizza restaurant inside a former Masonic hall:
http://cahersiveen.ie/oratory-pizza-wine-bar/

Another favourite is ours is Glen of Aherlow:

http://www.tipperarycamping.com/
There's excellent walking nearby, and Tipperary town is not far away.

If you want to come north I would recommend Rushin House:

http://www.tipperarycamping.com/

The site runs down to the lough shore, and has great walks nearby. This site is right on the border, and within walking distance of Blacklion in the Republic, which has great traditional pubs.

Dogs are welcome at all these sites.

Much to discuss!

Good wishes from Leon
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:00 pm

MountainGoat wrote:Not too bad but it is 136 miles from my place to Cairnryan...
...and another 260 each way to the Lahinch site, but the west coast of Ireland is the place to go, it's got to make it worth the trip over :wink:
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:21 pm

Hello Ian
As far as I'm aware that site is dog friendly .
The reason I mentioned the Lahinch sits is because it's on the wild Atlantic way , walking distance to the village, pubs , restaurants ,beach etc and the side has uninterrupted views of the sea !
If you had a date in mind I would happily call in to get some info , the chap who runs it , Tomas , was a puple in our school so he would be good to talk to , but if the bongo master contacted him it would carry even more weight :lol:
All the other sites mentioned also look great ......and I've have a excuse to travel :D
I don't really understand ferry prices between Ireland and England , we've just booked a steana line ferry to France from rosslare , Ireland last night for Easter , overnight .....€197 :shock: bargain !
Still they don't do gunniess in France like we do it here [-X
Brian
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:18 pm

Based in Ireland (Dublin) also so would definitely head along to meet up. I've not met many bongo owners or even friendly garages over here!
peridot
Junior Bongonaut

Post by peridot » Fri May 12, 2017 10:13 pm

Just spotted this thread.

Sounds like a great idea.

The Irish Camping and Caravanning Club could help with advice and I have contacts there.

I imagine the difficulty might be in establishing how many BF members would make the journey over.
llitvack
Bongolier

Post by llitvack » Sat May 13, 2017 12:38 pm

Some of the TripAdvisor reviews of Ocean View in Lahinch say that it's just a tarmac car park with toilets. Merlotman: Are there no pitches with grass, on which to put an awning? If this is the case than I think Lahinch is out!
See

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... Clare.html
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:39 pm

Help all
Sorry but forgot about this tread
The ocean view park has a mixture of full grass , half grass half Tarmac ( to park the bus ) and all Tarmac .
Small pub and shop on site .
It's really a mixture of permanent pitches for mobile homes and camping , when it's busy they open up across the road , the sea side to accomadate more people .
I can see irish based bongos coming here but is it too far / expensive for the uk bongoloers ? Remember that your coming in on the east side and then driving across country to get here about 170 miles for Dublin port ......but your then on the wild Atlantic way , great roads scenery places to stay eat drink and have fun !
As I said before Ian I don't mind talking to Thomas the owner if we could have an idea of numbers , dates etc
All the best
Brian
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:30 pm

Brian, I think this is too far for most people, especially if coming from GB, or even from the Dublin area for a weekend. But how about Castlewellan Forest Park in County Down? If we held it over the weekend of 11th May people attending the Scottish Bash near Dumfries could hop on the ferry and continue their holiday.

The cost is £20 per night including hook-up and we would get everyone to book themselves in. Details about the park at https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/ca ... park#toc-3

What do people think?
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:48 pm

Hello Ian
Sorry for not getting back to this tread sooner , I am the worst 😱
I think your correct about the cost for uk travellers It could end up being very expensive I'm afraid !
The idea of the county down site looks good but I think people would be more willing to "sign up " if bongoloers would express an interest , irish as well as uk members.
Maybe an expression of interest on this tread would be a start ?
. Brian ( Merlot man )

Fingers crossed
Brian

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”