north coast 500

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

kentait
Bongonaut

north coast 500

Post by kentait » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:25 pm

Haven't used my bongo much so far this year, but getting it serviced then off to do the north coast 500. Plan to take 5-7 days, and maybe a day trip to orkney.
Using a mixture of wild camping and sites. Has anyone else done it.
George217
Bongonaut

Re: north coast 500

Post by George217 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:18 pm

Not yet, but I'm waiting for my bongo to be converted (ready in a couple of months) and when my wife retires next year, we plan to do the same trip (amongst others), so it would be interesting to see how you get on.

Cheers

Mike
Mike

JAL supplied Caribbean Blue V6 Bongo with Skylift roof and rear conversion - Viv.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:44 pm

My friend is planning it but our friend who lives on Skye said it's dangerous due to idiots racing around it! Be very careful, the roads were not built for racing (and avoiding racers).
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
the.sasquatch
Bongolier

Post by the.sasquatch » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:05 pm

I've done the route a few times in the past, never in the bongo though. We've tended to stick to doing it during the week when it seems to be a little quieter. We've always come across the sports cars and bikes but most are friendly enough, i always pull over when safe to let them past and usualy get a friendly wave or a toot. Some cracking roads/views along the way and definitely a trip worth doing!
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:57 pm

I did it years ago when climbing Munros, long before anyone thought of calling it the North coast 500. All the way up the East coast there are good duel roads, but along the top of Scotland from Thurso to Durness is all single track. More single track roads can be found down the West coast just south of Durness, between Kylesku Bridge (only a ferry when I did it) and Lochinver and between Shieldaig and Applecross. The big test is tackling the Bealach na Ba' (Pass of the Cattle) from Applecross. Just pray you don't meet a muckle big motorhome with a driver who is unable to reverse.

I got a clear run up the pass all these years ago, it would be a miracle if I got one if I did the pass again tomorrow with all the people doing the NC500 now.
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
kentait
Bongonaut

Post by kentait » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:59 pm

Had a great time doing the north coast 500. Took 8 days, bongo was running so well,decided to risk a trip to orkney.
Would like to show some photos, but it looks too complicated. Had no problem putting them on facebook.
regards, ken tait
PixieAndTheMoon
Supreme Being

Post by PixieAndTheMoon » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:04 am

Two lovely People replied to you on this post Friend.

Jo

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”