Team Muz Scotland tour 2013

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

dunslair
Supreme Being

Re: Team Muz Scotland tour 2013

Post by dunslair » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:49 am

Brilliant pictures as ever 'team Muz =D> =D> =D> I hope you did't feed the deer venison burgers :shock: It could spawn a whole new breed of carnivorous stags. make sure you pop in for a cuppa on your next trip up! i will tell Jim Jack's to get in some extra fish and chips :wink:

all the best

David. :D
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Muzorewa wrote:
Jillygumbo wrote:Absolutely fantastic. I started looking at these at work, around 5:30, and continued after my yoga class. It's now 11:00 pm and I need to go to bed!

I really don't know how you do it. How long were you 'on tour' for this time?
Just the two weeks - in fact only 13 days and 12 nights.

I'll buzz you through a link to the map in case you want to add any of the places to your own tour :wink:
Thanks, got it. I've got a couple of ideas to try to integrate ... :D
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Furydav
Bongolier

Post by Furydav » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:42 pm

Muzorewa wrote:
Furydav wrote:A we tip Muz, take some photos next time you go on tour, ha ha

great stuff, surprised you got in as far as the big water of fleet viaduct at gatehouse station in the snow , it was drifting deep for a we bit around Easter.
There was plenty of snow there. The track to the viaduct was well worn as it leads to a forestry site but if you turn sharp left after the viaduct - which loops back the other side of the visitor centre - that track was really dodgy and once you're on it you can't realistically turn round. We ploughed our way through to the end without incident but the snow was more like ice.

We'll probably try to get back there in the summer :D
If you do have a look at the galloway forest trail, up past clatteringshaws dam, there is a monument on top of the hill at the far side of the loch to mark the spot where a Daily mail dragonfly aircraft struck the hill in the middle of last century. Then have a run down the raiders road, which brings you out near mossdale. The small railway bridge you photographed at loch ken is through the woods ot the east of there and its part of the original "port road" which carried some of the US war effort from the deepwater port at cairn ryan southwards to the english channel , there is enough history around here to keep you busy not to mention some excellent scenery.
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:30 pm

Bummer, to think that I have been stuck at home for the past month decorating and doing other house improvements while my new motorhome sits forlorn on my drive. I have been to most of the places on your trip Paul but not in one go like you and I know sod all about most of the places unlike you.

One thing that I do know about which you do not appear to be up to speed about is that the Connel Bridge. [-X It has always taken cars but was not given a tarmac surface untill the railway closed. I remember going over it in the family car when I was a kid. In those days with the railway still running the bridge was planked over and cars were charged a toll to cross it, not at the same time as the train I believe. :shock:

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Yorkshire T
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Yorkshire T » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:47 pm

Lovely photos Muz glad you all hada lovely time x :D =D>
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:19 am

MountainGoat wrote:One thing that I do know about which you do not appear to be up to speed about is that the Connel Bridge. [-X It has always taken cars but was not given a tarmac surface untill the railway closed. I remember going over it in the family car when I was a kid. In those days with the railway still running the bridge was planked over and cars were charged a toll to cross it, not at the same time as the train I believe. :shock:

Tony
Hi Tony - get decorators in and go out in the motorhome :lol:

According to Wikipedia (which I know isn't necessarily gospel but is generally pretty correct)... "Originally, the bridge carried just the railway (a single track). In 1909, however, an additional train service started running between Connel Ferry station and Benderloch on which road vehicles could be transported over the bridge. A single car was carried on a wagon hauled by a charabanc that had been adapted to run on rails at St. Rollox railway works in Glasgow. This service also called at North Connel station at the north end of the bridge.

"In 1914, a roadway was added to the bridge, alongside the railway line. The road occupied the western side of the bridge, with the railway running parallel immediately to the east. Due to the close proximity of road and railway, road traffic and trains were not permitted on the bridge at the same time and the bridge was effectively operated as an extended level crossing with gates. The road crossed to the opposite side of the railway at the north end of the bridge. A toll was payable by road users.

"After the branch line closed in 1966, the bridge was converted for the exclusive use of road vehicles and pedestrians, and the toll was removed. Despite the railway track having been removed, the roadway is not wide enough for two vehicles to cross each other. Traffic lights are installed at each end of the bridge to enforce one-way traffic."
seventiesboy
Bongolier

Post by seventiesboy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:24 pm

Quite brilliant.

Thank you for sharing.

This is what life's all about.
Why?...........Because somebody might wave back.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:03 pm

Oh yeah, before I forget. Go the BBC website, click NEWS and then the Scotland tab. Then look at the 'your pictures' section :lol:

Or http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22203304 and scroll through to the fifth picture....

Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:33 pm

national fame.
well done guys, you will be selling your pics to the tourist board next. =D> =D> =D> =D>

ps. chell thinks its photo shop 8)
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:59 am

Northern Bongolow wrote:ps. chell thinks its photo shop 8)
Which bit, the photo or the BBC bit? :shock:

Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22203304 and scroll through to the fifth picture....

As for the photo itself, as Brian hinted, it took me yonks to PhotoShop out all the rain & midges :lol:
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:36 pm

Just read this albeit a bit late. Fabulous tour and well documented. Small world really..when you were at Logan Botanical garden pond, many of those large fish your looking at were mine! They outgrew my 3000 ltr pond and as there fish had recently been stolen, I offered mine as a replacement.

Not an easy job ferrying live fish from Newcastle to Logan but we did it without casualties.

Nice pics mate

Thanks I enjoyed that!
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:41 am

Aha - Just figured out why there were so many military vessels loitering and from various other navies...

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-and-Ev ... nt-Warrior
mulshy
Bongolier

Post by mulshy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:48 pm

Muzorewa wrote:Aha - Just figured out why there were so many military vessels loitering and from various other navies...
Did you hear about this Navy seal

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-and-Ev ... MS-Bulwark

Brilliant pictures btw,just makes us want to get out there :mrgreen:
all the same but different
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:12 am

mulshy wrote:
Muzorewa wrote:Aha - Just figured out why there were so many military vessels loitering and from various other navies...
Did you hear about this Navy seal

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-and-Ev ... MS-Bulwark

Brilliant pictures btw,just makes us want to get out there :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
buddyh42
Bongolier

Post by buddyh42 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:36 am

hi Muz, fantastic photo story as usual, how many ferries and how much did you spend on ferry crossings, no wonder you wild camp lol
That'll Be The Day.........

'99 Silver V6 Moonfleet Conversion

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”