Seeking Bongo in Bristol

Moderators: Bob, westonwarrior

BristolArtist
Apprentice Bongonaut

Seeking Bongo in Bristol

Post by BristolArtist » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:45 am

Hello! My partner and I are looking at buying a Bongo over January - having started off looking at VWs we came to the conclusion that the Bongo ought to be cheaper and more reliable? Now, I know this website is FULL of useful info about buying Bongos, but the problem is we've never even bought a vehicle before so it's all rather confusing. I came across the website of Agyl Autos, but I don't know if importing is the route to go down at all? It seems really hard to sift through the vast numbers of ads for bongos flying round all kinds of dealerships :-( We just want something reliable, fully converted, for about 4 or 5,000. Also because we don't yet own any other vehicle(!!) any vehicle we wanted to view would have to be easily accessible in the Bristol area. If anyone on here has any ideas it'd be much appreciated! Cheers :-)
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Seeking Bongo in Bristol

Post by Bob » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:35 am

Hi, and a warm welcome to Bongo Fury.

Some points to bear in mind:

Algys act Import Agents, they buy at auction in Japan and its yours, along with any problems. It can take a good while for your Bongo to be bought, shipped and serviced/ registered in the UK.

Some have done well through them, some have less possitive tales to tell.

You won't get a full conversion throught Algys.

A fully converted decent Bongo is a big ask for £4/5000, let alone finding one close to you, so I would certainly look at the Member's Ads and accept you will have to travel to view. A private sale is likely to be much closer to your budget.

A seller will likely meet you at a bus/rail station, Bongo owners are a friendly crowd and it in their interest if they want to sell.

Consider an unconverted one, they are plenty adequate for camping and you can convert once you've saved some more and had a look at the options. A good vehicle is worth more than a fancy conversion and you don't want to spend years wishing you had a rear conversion rather than side.

Hope that helps a bit, ask anything you like and we'll try and help.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:40 am

Oh yes, be very, VERY, wary of e-bay sales in the Bristol area :!:

Have a search on here.
Rapidair65
Bongolier

Post by Rapidair65 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:31 pm

Just to give you an idea, our 1998 V6, 54000 miles, with AFT was £11,000 with a side conversion, cam belt, service and UK registration. This was from an established dealer in Feb last year.
1998 green and silver V6 called 'Blossom'
2004 white 2 litre tin top called Buzz.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:21 am

A very warm welcome to the possibility of Bongo ownership.

This FAQ on buying a Bongo may be helpful: http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =43&t=7229

Whilst there are a fair number of Bongos around, it is a small number compared with your mainstream hatchback, there are many variations which may be important to you and they are all between 11 and 20 years old. In short it is not going to be like popping into a couple of car dealers and driving a Ford Focus away, all in a weekend.

At that price you will be looking for one that has been in this country already for a while so skip over the importers and concentrate on dealers or private sale. You will be buying an old vehicle (all Bongos are old!!), so to avoid costly disappointment check out their weaknesses or if you are not technically savvy take with you somebody who is. I would do this whether buying from trade or privately.

The right vehicle will be reliable but their increasingly popularity has seen some dodgy vehicles being sold to the unwary. The warning already given about an ebay seller (appearing with many personae, characterised by one day / short auction, non-paypal non refundable deposit) is important and this seller has also been seen on gumtree. There are also many perfectly honourable sellers in and around Bristol!

Budget a few hundred £££ for full service, cam belt change and inspection as soon as you have bought it. (Cost depends on the engine type. ADS, South Bristol will quote - they fix anything Bongo)

I would build a list of characteristics/features that you want in your Bongo and a list of maintenance questions. Then run through this by phone with your selected sellers. By the time you decide to see a Bongo you (and your techie) will know exactly what you are looking for and will keep your actual bongo visits to a minimum.

There are bongo owners in/near Bristol who may also be able to help with specifics. Just ask. You will usually get pretty quick answers.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
diver 66
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by diver 66 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:54 pm

Hi we have just got our Bongo from a place just outside Bristol in Winterbourne not sure if that is any help
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:55 pm

Welcome to the Forum. :D
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:24 pm

diver 66 wrote:Hi we have just got our Bongo from a place just outside Bristol in Winterbourne not sure if that is any help

Was that the place that also has Toyota Hiace's? How were they to deal with? PM me if you wish.

Thanks

Derek
Bongo Charlie
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Charlie » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:35 pm

Hi everyone, im in Bristol and new to Bongo world. Been looking for a few weeks and managed to buy a decent 2002 2.5 v6 with LPG local to me from a private add on here, so more tales (hopefully happy) to come. I spent a fair few hours with the guys at JCS, they have some ok stock and from the conversions i saw underway there they look to be ok. Be sure in what you want, use the advice and questions people on here have posted and you could get yourself sorted. Be aware that the more you want the more the cost will go up. As this is my first post not sure what the rules are on adding links. so just google jcsswltd.co.uk and have a look.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:06 pm

Welcome aboard, no prob posting links. :)

Return to “Rest of the West”