How to fit speedo, needle, counterweights, DO NOT DELETE

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

yoyomiyagi

How to fit speedo, needle, counterweights, DO NOT DELETE

Post by yoyomiyagi » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:23 am

Hi there, I would appreciate advice from someone that has changed their speedometer faceplate:

Do you remember how the counterweights are actually meant to be refitted? They seem to fit perfectly to the rear of the black needle cap but if both the counterweights are placed in that slot the needle does not glide all the way down. If only one goes there does the other one just float around inside the cap?

Any ideas or clarification of Ritchie's factsheet? :shock:
Allans
Bongolier

Post by Allans » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:01 pm

From your description, it sounds like you're putting the counterweights in the right place - the black piece will 'click' back into place.

You need to fit the speedo unit (without the glass) back into the dash, with all wires connected into the back of it. Don't fit the needle-stop post to the speedo face yet. Switch the ignition on. Then fit the needle in the zero position. Once it's in position, fit the stop-post and glass.
Last edited by Allans on Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Servicing Bongos since 2003 in Plymouth, Devon http://www.allansvehicleservices.co.uk
madmile
Supreme Being

Post by madmile » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:40 pm

Excellent bit of advice allan - I have been doing this a different way (not as good either) so I shall definitely adopt you method next time.
Allans
Bongolier

Post by Allans » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:50 pm

:lol: Nobody writes a book for these things so we know what it's like to learn from our mistakes.
Servicing Bongos since 2003 in Plymouth, Devon http://www.allansvehicleservices.co.uk
yoyomiyagi

Post by yoyomiyagi » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:49 am

Thanks for that will try that with both weights at the back...as soon as I pick it up tomorrow - had to leave in a town called Kirkaldy because the roof refused to close!

Return to “Techie Stuff”