Member in Distress in France

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Ian
Supreme Being

Member in Distress in France

Post by Ian » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:00 pm

"Lee" is somewhere in France and has sent me this text:

"....to my horror I have a flashing glow plug light on my year 2000 diesel Bongo. The light flashes one second on, one second off. The light resets itself when I'm travelling on the motorway, but flashes again when I'm in traffic or at low speed. Is my scavenger fan sensor bust? Any advice?"

I've not had time to sift through the available information here on the Forum but I have had a quick look at the Engine Diagnostics factsheet which tells me that on later diesel Bongos there is no need to hook up to a diagnostic kit as the code can be read straight from the dash. From Lee's description this looks like a Code 0110 which shows as "Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit".

Would a replacement sensor solve the problem? And which sensor is it? Will it be the scavenger fans that have failed? Or is it the radiator fans? Any thoughts?

I'll ask Lee to watch this discussion.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
mike_glos
Junior Bongonaut

Re: Member in Distress in France

Post by mike_glos » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Mine played up when I plugged into the ciggy lighter when leisure battery low on power. If they have done this I have been led to believe that if the engine turned off then the ECU will reset after about 10 mins.

Mine was fine the next day.

Obviously it could be one of several issues, but perhaps worth a try.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:46 pm

You still have to put the link in for the actual error code to flash the glowplug light itself, but no need for a separate lamp/LED.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:24 am

air intake temp sender is actually the description given to the scavenger fan switch in this link below. this link shows all the controllers for the engine, click on each number on the drawing then look in the left margin, this gives a item description and part number etc.

all these controllers /sensors have fixed values when at certain temperatures so can be tested, the values are in the manual.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... no=.html#9

if the light flashes at low engine speed only i would check the alternator /charging system, revving the engine increases charging rate, sounds like a duff alternator to me. :?
lmol
Junior Bongonaut

Post by lmol » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:39 am

Thanks for the speedy replies. The glow plug flashing light clears itself when the engine is cool/cold, so I will take the Bongo out when the heavy rain stops (lol). All fuses and connectors appear ok. The main and leisure batteries appear to be charging ok when the engine is ticking over, around 13.8 - 14.2 volts. Re the possible cigarette lighter output, I did have my gps plugged into the socket all day when driving, could this cause it? I shall run some further tests and a big thank you for everyone's posts so far. At the moment, there is no warning light at 60-70 mph on the motorway, however, thr appears when stationery or when travelling at lower speeds and revs at 2000 - I guess this could be less air flow to the engine? The engine temperature appears normal and the needle indicator hasn't moved. If anyone knows any tests I could try to help further that would be great. [-o<
lmol
Junior Bongonaut

Post by lmol » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:41 am

Are there any easy tests to run if I have a duff alternator? I do have an multimeter with me :D
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:35 am

The first test for alternator problems, is to check that charging voltage.
First before the engine is even started, check the voltage at the battery terminals with the meter, it should be between 11 and 12.8 volts.
Now turn on the engine without revving it, check the battery again it should be between 13.6 and 14 volts,
finally with the engine revving at about 1500-2000 the voltage should be at its maximum of no more than 14.5 to 14.5 volts.

If its outside those ranges then it would suggest that either the alternator has failed or is not regulating the charging current and voltage correctly, also worth noting if there is any whining noises coming from the radio/audio system which are engine speed dependent, this can point at failed diodes in the alternator causing the DC output to have a large ripple in its output rather than a nice flat DC voltage.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:31 pm

just thinking about this a little more.
the turbo comes in (or should) at about those revs. could be a similar problem to another thread on here about the same symptoms.
if the light comes on when the turbo attempts to spool up then its carbon in the variable vanes that are sticking, it may not do it when just revved but not driving as the load may not be enough but it would show when it gets the case of the turbo hot enough to stick /trap the vanes.
i would remove the pipes on both sides of the turbo and squirt in a turbo cleaner and see if this improves anything.

cheap fix. use an oven cleaner if your stuck.

it may also be the egr valve carboned up, this has a position switch on the top, when the engine warms up to temp the egr should open, if the valve is not triggering the switch or the switch/wires are faulty or the valve is full of carbon it cannot switch to the correct position so flags a fault via the ecu. even if you clean out the egr the switch may need replacing.
same again, egr cleaner or oven cleaner to break the carbon.
lmol
Junior Bongonaut

Post by lmol » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:40 pm

after a one hour drive this morning all was well ... no flashing glow plug light. This afternoon I drove for about 20 mins about 50mph and as I started to drive up a slight (and I mean slight) hill, the light commenced flashing again. After a 25 minutes rest with the engine off, all was good again and no flashing light. I arrived back at the campsite, sat with the engine running at idle for 5 minutes and the light began to flash again. The flashing glow plug light is definitely one second on one second off continuous with no other pattern.

I popped to the shops here in France and sadly I cannot find any spray cleaners only fuel additive cleaners. Sadly I am very novice at Bongo mechanics so any lay speak is greatly appreciated. Thanks all for suggestions so far. Pharf pharf. Any further tips /help greatly received... sadly no local auto shop or Halfords.
lmol
Junior Bongonaut

Post by lmol » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:55 pm

A big thank you for your posts. I will be getting oily tomorrow! :D
lmol
Junior Bongonaut

Post by lmol » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:02 am

I have cleaned the egr via the air intake pipe using the spray as I can't quite easily get to the EGR which I believe is right at the back top central console area. Anyway, the flashing light still comes on after about 20 mins driving no matter how fast or slow now. I'm puzzled? Can anyone offer further help. The Coolant indicator seems ok? Many thanks in advance.
lmol
Junior Bongonaut

Post by lmol » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:03 am

The alternator seems ok too. All charging ok.
lmol
Junior Bongonaut

Post by lmol » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:07 am

Is there anyway of checking the sensors? I have a multimeter and if yes, does anyone know where I can find them. I am only aware of the one sitting next to the handbrake? Thanks
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:13 am

Does the engine have any running problems connected to the "Flashing Light" or is it running as it should.?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:21 am

Have you read out the code from the diagnostic plug? With later versions you only need to put in the link wire and the Glowplug light will flash the error code. The info is on this page http://www.philmcfadden.co.uk/MazdaDiagnosticBox.htm and all you need do is link pins C & E then read the flashing glowplug light - bear in mind that the socket is upside down! That at least will then suggest what is flagging the error up.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”