New owner.. Roundabouts!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BongoBrighton
Junior Bongonaut

New owner.. Roundabouts!

Post by BongoBrighton » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:28 am

Hello all, my first post here after buying myself a Bongo on the weekend just gone. Loving it so far but here's the first of a few niggles that I'm looking to resolve...

On the way home from buying it I noticed that the tyres squeal at around 25mph+ when going round roundabouts. I've had a look at the tyres and have 195, 60, 15s all round, I'm guessing that's the problem or just cheap nasty rubber. Is this usual?

Also the speedo appears to be 10%ish out. Would that be because I'm not running 70s on the front?

Many thanks :D
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: New owner.. Roundabouts!

Post by g8dhe » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:35 am

Normally you have 215/70 or similar on the rear to help give more rubber in contact with the road, whilst the front are narrower to make the steering lighter. The sizes for your vehicle are on the drivers "B" pillar, but most just go for the larger/wider tyres all round so that a single spare is identical.
Oh and check what your spare is! If its not the same then that will need changing as well!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
BongoBrighton
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BongoBrighton » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:02 pm

Thanks for the reply :) Will definitely check out the spare.

It's a shame as the tyres are new. The alloys aren't in a very good way and I was thinking of changing them. If I'm changing tyres too, would it be worth fitting slightly larger alloys or do they upset the ride?

Thanks again.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:28 pm

Have you bought a 2WD or 4WD Vehicle.?

Good Luck
BongoBrighton
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BongoBrighton » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:50 pm

Hi, it's a 2WD.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:15 pm

Some tyres squeal more than others i find, also dependant on age/wear. Also of course, check tyre pressures are correct.
BongoBrighton
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BongoBrighton » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:27 pm

I've just noticed that the tyres are 91W, could that be why they are crying around roundabouts? :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:37 pm

BongoBrighton wrote:I've just noticed that the tyres are 91W, could that be why they are crying around roundabouts? :lol:
Posible but i suspect not, though they are inadequately rated :roll:
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:05 pm

Ours is the 4wd it doesn't squeal on roundabouts but it does on shiny supermarket car parks especially on warm days. The local tescos is awful! People look at us we drive it through there as it makes so much noise.
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:03 pm

Rear wheel drive vehicles, particularly with fairly narrow tyres do tend to squeal if corners are taken at all enthusiastically. As one previous poster said, Tesco's surfaces seem a particular problem. Just embrace your 'Starsky and Hutch' side and ride it out!
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
BongoBrighton
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BongoBrighton » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:28 am

The first time it happened I thought I'd misjudged my speed, so much squeal.. I was doing 50+, right? ... looked down.. nope.. 25mph!

I'm thinking a slight upgrade in alloy size and wider tyres is on the horizon, or should I stick with 15's?

I've also found a load of rust on the inside edge of the boot which makes me worry about the quality of repair/respray done to the outside but that's a post for another day....
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:34 am

I've also found a load of rust on the inside edge of the boot which makes me worry about the quality of repair/respray done to the outside but that's a post for another day....
Same here. Ground it out and after kurust etc i entombed/remade it with polyester resin and glass cloth. Did something similar with wheel arches. Two years later its all holding up very well. But you really need to inspect/keep on top of/prepare to weld old Bongos so i get underneath mine with Bongo expert and mechanic Adrian at Japandirect (and on my own, for minor preventative work) and assess and schedule any welding work. Probably spent £2k on welding over the years as some areas can be tricky to fabricate and fit. But Bongo remains v sound as a result.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:51 am

mikeonb4c wrote:
Same here. Ground it out and after kurust etc i entombed/remade it with polyester resin and glass cloth. Did something similar with wheel arches. Two years later its all holding up very well. But you really need to inspect/keep on top of/prepare to weld old Bongos so i get underneath mine with Bongo expert and mechanic Adrian at Japandirect (and on my own, for minor preventative work) and assess and schedule any welding work. Probably spent £2k on welding over the years as some areas can be tricky to fabricate and fit. But Bongo remains v sound as a result.
Just out of interest, did you take the tailgate off to do this of did you do it above your head?

Ours has the same, I rubbed it down once and used rust eater followed by paint but it is returning. It wasn't quite bad enough to need rebuilding.
BongoBrighton
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BongoBrighton » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:05 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
The arches have been replaced on mine and the seals have been repaired but I'm not sure if they've been replaced... time will tell. From the outside of the tailgate it looks mint but the inside isn't good at all. I'm worried the rust inside will spread to the outside and ruin the paintwork. I'm going to go at it with Deox Gel, Hydrate 80 and Electrox before rebuilding/filling and then going over with Hammerite straight to rust aerosol which I find goes on really well and leaves a nice finish, even if you're naff with an aerosol. Used it 2 years ago straight to a rusty ols wood burner in the garden and not a hint of rust has made it through the paint. I guess if the outside hasn't been properly treated I will know about it in a matter of weeks... fingers crossed.
Last edited by BongoBrighton on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:06 pm

sotal wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:
Just out of interest, did you take the tailgate off to do this of did you do it above your head?

Ours has the same, I rubbed it down once and used rust eater followed by paint but it is returning. It wasn't quite bad enough to need rebuilding.
Did it with tailgate in place and rear car on ramps to bring work to comfortable height. Raked rust from seam using bradawl then kurust, then resin, then panel sealer. Laid glasscloth and resin on bottom strip outside even though tailgate in pretty good shape. Wet and dry then smooth hammerite mixed green with black to close match of bodywork then brushed on and quickly stippled with fine sponge to give textured effect. Overall plan was to shut out air and moisture and 2 years later its holding up v well but it'd be quick enough to refurb if need be. :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”