Gobsmacked cannot jack Bongo to change to spare wheel..

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Gobsmacked cannot jack Bongo to change to spare wheel..

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:01 am

unwittingly driving around happy as Larry and you cannot even jack the thing to change rear wheel puncture.

I just tried jacking with the scissor jack (says 700kgs load) and "cheese" handled (now bent up cause it does not seem to be designed for the job, looks more like a fire poker with a bend in it) winch thing and then a trolley jack . Either of them barely lifted the back wheel off the ground, the spare had not enough clearance to be fitted.

Please how are you going about this and I strongly recommend testing at home to see if you can actually
get the rear spare on your Bongo with any jack you carry cause I cannot.

There is only one near parallel surface that seemed ok for jacking that I could see behind the sill
near the front edge of the rear arch.

I also tried some strong metal downplate that holds a suspension arm (lower than the sill point thus in theory giving more clearance, still not enough with my maxed out Sealey 2 tonne jack) and gave up when the trolley jack mxed out.

Something not right here, you must surely be able to change a flat ? This is at home you would need
AA or RAC out to do it. What gives ?
Last edited by BongoBongo123 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Re: Gobsmacked cannot jack Bongo to change to spare wheel..

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:06 am

http://lightapp.cloudapp.net/images/ans ... 837.89.jpg

Yes the one titled "Rear" bottom is where I put a 2 tonne trolley jack, not enough clearance to put the spare wheel on ???

I deflated the old grey tyre a bit and it still is not enough, even by sight alone.
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:33 am

Not sure what your doing wrong here, never had a problem lifting the front or rear either with the original jack or my trolley jack.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:37 am

Not going well, I have a 2 inch hardwood piece that I am hoping will help. Seriously not impressed with this.
wwaveydave
Bongonaut

Post by wwaveydave » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:39 am

Seems weird to me to jack up the entire end of the vehicle as opposed to just the corner.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:40 am

Did you actually try and refit the suppied spare? Cause that is the crux. I can jack the vehicle and could even get the
old one off (but I did not until I am sure I have clearance for the spare) but clearance for the spare looks like it is insufficient.

Hopefully my jacking block will help. Would not like to do this roadside it seems barely possible at home.

That supplied scissor jack is a total joke.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:11 am

Sealey 2 tonne jack broken..not in a catastrophic way (but irrepairable of course) and I would never put myself under one (never buy one), but the steel pin that the handle pumps has jammed into the jack and does not release/spring up for the downstroke. The scissor jack metal bar is bent out of recognition so it won't turn the pin with a hole in (no levarage), great...

Do you think you can get away with driving 2-3 miles at 20mph to a garage ona flat ? I have a new tyre on order
at a tyre place, should be in stock for today.

:(

I cannot actually believe this would be that much hassle I have changed 2-3 wheel for the spare in my life
and never have I failed with the standard supplied one... never mind 2 different jacks.

I cannot drive the Bongo without knowing I can change a punctured tyre.

And I am jacking 1 corner as is normal with changing to a spare wheel.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:35 am

Link to cheese handle picture...

https://ibb.co/c6WHHF

Does that look like the standard issue Bongo Jack ?

I just dont; udnerstand why it is not lifting the vehicle high enough to put the spare on.. and now
the handle is so bent I am unable to get any levarage to turn the thing you put the hook end into (scissor jack)
Last edited by BongoBongo123 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:37 am

Similar but not the same as mine, which I have used once without major problems, but yes clearance is minimal!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:41 am

Luckily I can run down the hill to my garage 0.7miles away and he will jack it...just have to take the risk
rolling down the hill to get it jacked.

Seriously you had better test you can change a wheel on your Bongo or you
might be in for a nasty surprise roadside.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Ok local garage jacked it up with a large 2 tonne trolley jack. Spare on and will get new tyre on the wheel.

Glad I found this out at home and not roadside. Garage guy suggested a Halford 2 tonne short trolley jack for home
but a bit big for lugging about. So not sure quite what I am going to do about the cheese handled originally supplied one
cause that won't do the job. He said he knows the original one supplied with the Bongos and you
would expect it to be a bit meatier given the weight.

Must have got unlucky with the Sealy 2 tonner...rubbish. I do wonder if it was a counterfit one now (bloke said Sealy should be ok), should not break
on first use but it's totally effed. You cannot really use a trolley jack wrong, pump the handle and thats it, pressure release to do drop it slowly..

Changing to a spare should be motor maintenance basics, should be quick and easy.

Seems like bit of bad luck, poor quality jacks, not items you want to be shoddy that is for sure, you live and learn.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:55 pm

I think you will find that you have the wrong jack and handle for your vehicle.The proper jack should have a concave saddle and a long rod operated with a substantial ratchet, the rod and ratchet are also used to lower the spare wheel mechanism.

Good Luck.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:56 pm

I will edit this post and post a pic of the Sealy jack stuck pin.

https://ibb.co/dvnora

That steel piston is jammed into the hexagonal red surround. (under the yellow oil cap)

Thanks Rita, maybe they lost the original and could have been something someone made/found and threw in thinking it would
get them out of trouble...it wouldn't have lol... as I have found out !

Yes the scissor jack on my other car has a handle which is very strong with a elbow so you can
move it into a 90 degree right angle to get the levearge.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:04 pm

Supplied jack says 700kgs...this one 2 tonnes... is this flawed thinking on my behalf.. is this stuff off ebay garbage or counterfit ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-TON-TONNE-S ... SwwzhZXRyx
Last edited by BongoBongo123 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:06 pm

I don't think going cheap is a good idea this time I will get one of these...1.5 tonned should be ok for a corner. It does not have the best reviews (not greased and stiff to turn with only 500kgs)

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ ... ck-1-5-ton

Every cloud has a silver lining I guess, better to find it out at home than, in rain mid winter roadside. :roll:

Return to “Techie Stuff”