Replace FM aerial with DAB?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mitchelln
Bongolier

Replace FM aerial with DAB?

Post by mitchelln » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:32 am

Hi.

I have one of the interior glass DAB antennas and it's rubbish. Cuts out for at least 30% of my journey.

Best (and neatest) alternative is to fit a modern beesting type aerial to the roof, but that would involve drilling a hole.

Keen to avoid that if possible, so I wondered if anyone out there has successfully repurposed the factory fit aerial mounting to fit a DAB one?

Thanks!
Black Aero City Runner 2L petrol with full side conversion
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Replace FM aerial with DAB?

Post by g8dhe » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:05 pm

Choice of aerial style won't make a lot of difference, DAB coverage is still way behind that of FM, despite all the assurances in the past. Your better to retain the FM aerial and get a multi-mode receiver that will switch according to the best mode available.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:31 pm

To be honest, FM is just as bad (even when I do remember to extend the FM aerial!) The head unit is an auto switching one. Plus you can't get 6 Music and Radio 4 Extra on FM ;)

The thing is, I never had any problems when l used to drive the route in my car with a modern beesting aerial and an older DAB radio.

I have heard the interior glass ones degrade over time. I can see bubbles in the strip.

I might get an auto electrician to fit one centre front of the roof. I think it may look odd stuck out the existing FM aerial point. Car parks might be a worry though.
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:38 pm

Of course, I've now realised the tin top has a different aerial to the AFT. It's a pillar mount job. So I can hopefully find a drop in replacement.

Time to prise off the trim! ;)

One thing I have to be careful about of course is height clearance. A collapsible tube type aerial will inevitably end up getting stuffed by a car park height restriction board if it sticks up too much.

I need to do something anyway, as I noticed that the existing aerial mount has a split on the front edge. Water is bound to be getting in. I very much doubt I'll be able to source a replacement. Black sealent temp patch for now.
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:04 am

I fitted an external glass mount aerial, dead easy to fit, albeit a bit fiddly and seems to work very well.

http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_DE ... erial.html
Jamie, Caroline and the kids.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:25 am

Thanks for that. It's the one I had my eye on :)

Do you think car park height restriction boards might be a problem? Is it a tubular or flexible whip type?

Thanks!

Return to “Techie Stuff”