Towing my Bongo.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

STEViE
Apprentice Bongonaut

Towing my Bongo.

Post by STEViE » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:13 pm

I'm at various festivals in the next few weeks. I've noticed that due to the huge amounts of rain we've had that many folks are being towed onto the fields. I can't see where on the front end of my Bongo the tow hitch is. Is there one please ?
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Towing my Bongo.

Post by Bob » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi

There should be two eyes under the bumper.

These are really for lashing the vehicle on a transporter but can be used for light towing - they are not 'Rated' recovery points.

It should be ok to tow Bongy if it's just a case of slippery grass but I would be very cautious if you're talking deep ruts or if you have a trailer on.

Personaly I carry a 'Bridle' - a length of rope about 10' with an eye spliced in each end and a bow shackle so you can tow on both eyes at once.

You can buy pre made ones, and make sure it's a good length, you must pull forwards on both eyes and a short bridle will tend to pull the eyes together.

Like this: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/webbing ... jCEALw_wcB

And this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RECOVERY-BRID ... 1850931521

Run your engine and help the recovery, but don't 'Over run' the tow.

Agree signals with the diver in front before comencing, and agree where you are going and plan to stop.

Give the stop signal if anyone comes closer than 1 1/2 the length of the tow rope in case it breaks and whips. This can be a big problem as 'Helpers' rush towards the tow.
STEViE
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by STEViE » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:42 am

Thank you. CHEERS !!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:31 am

Enjoy the festivals. :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”