Engine check light and temp gauge

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Libster
Apprentice Bongonaut

Engine check light and temp gauge

Post by Libster » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:25 am

Hello.

I've searched the forums for possible answers but as I'm new to Bongos I'm not even sure what I term I need to search under.

My Bongo is 2005 petrol. First 150 miles done... On return journey the little engine symbol was on, despite everything sounding fine. I popped the bonnet, checked for anything obvious (like a leak or dry coolant tank).

Light didn't go off for the entire journey.. It says 'check' but I have no idea what I'm meant to be 'checking'.
Also, the temp gauge only moved when on motorway and barely hit the 1/4 marker. Most if the time it was on C. Are these two indicators for a similar problem.
I have zero technical knowledge, no understanding of Bongo terms, so please use layman's terms on your reply.
Thank you
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Re: Engine check light and temp gauge

Post by Bongolia » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:58 am

I assume this is a 2.0ltr?
The light means a fault has been logged by the ECU.
As yours is 2005 it may have the J1962 OBD socket that would allow simple scanners to read the fault code.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics
So a trip to a trusted garage and ask them to scan it (35.00 quid ish) and pop the result back here.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:31 am

Hi, welcome aboard.

Advice from Bongolia is correct, that light won't show low coolant, but it may well be the thermostat has been removed - hence temp gauge not moving.

This is a common trick to hide a cooling problem.

Did you buy from a garage?
Libster
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Libster » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:19 am

It is 2L, light came on after speed plowing through mud for 10 feet.
The tank where the water is stored hasn't changed, levels remain the same. The temp gauge moved up to about a quarter after about 30 miles.

I'll get a garage to run a diagnostic as you've recommended.
Was a private sale from local family. I have fingers crossed it's nothing major, spent all my cash buying it.
Thanks for your advise. I'm Portsmouth based if Bongo preferred garages near me can be recommended
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:32 am

I went through a puddle few years back in V6 and light came on. It was the catalytic converter warning light. Maybe shorted. Had wire removed (replacement cats don't have one anyway) and all fine. May have to disconnect battery to remove light, can't remember.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:50 am

[quote="Libster"]Thanks for your advise. I'm Portsmouth based if Bongo preferred garages near me can be recommended/quote]

Try Owl Motor Services in Southsea. Good reports about them.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Libster
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Libster » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:40 am

Thank you everyone.
Libster
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Libster » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:14 pm

Owl Motors Garage
I've booked into Owl Motors in Southsea as suggested and will let you know their findings. Thank you
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:57 am

Get the thermostat changed. It's a simple job. I'd ask the garage to flush the system and refill with red coolant whilst you're at it.

The symptom with the temp gauge is exactly the same as I encountered when I bought my bongo last month. Others here have reported the same as well. A new thermostat will sort it :)

The 2L petrol engines are pretty bomb proof and much less complex beasts than the diesels. The cooling system is simpler and doesn't need bleeding like the diesel system.

You should find a new style diagnostic port under the dash on the driver side. The garage can soon get the fault code. Might be something like the lambda sensor got wet.

You have entered a world of great tinkering opportunities. Check out my posts on sound proofing and fitting cruise control - invaluable on the M3 ;)
Black Aero City Runner 2L petrol with full side conversion
Libster
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Libster » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:52 pm

mitchelln wrote:Get the thermostat changed. It's a simple job. I'd ask the garage to flush the system and refill with red coolant whilst you're at it.

The symptom with the temp gauge is exactly the same as I encountered when I bought my bongo last month. Others here have reported the same as well. A new thermostat will sort it :)

The 2L petrol engines are pretty bomb proof and much less complex beasts than the diesels. The cooling system is simpler and doesn't need bleeding like the diesel system.

You should find a new style diagnostic port under the dash on the driver side. The garage can soon get the fault code. Might be something like the lambda sensor got wet.

You have entered a world of great tinkering opportunities. Check out my posts on sound proofing and fitting cruise control - invaluable on the M3 ;)
Thank you so much for your detailed reply, I'll certainly ask them to quote depending on their findings. I'm really keen to learn some of this stuff myself (though never worked on an engine) but I keen to try.

Happy to be an apprentice for the day to learn.
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:21 am

Happy to help!

I would definitely swap out the thermostat. It seems to be quite a common thing on the 2L. It's just not worth risking cooling issues with an engine you will probably not be able to easily fix if it overheats.
I regularly travel on the IoW ferry from Portsmouth and know what a nightmare the A3, M271 and M3 are at times. There's nothing worse than sitting in traffic worrying about overheating!

Unfortunately, even with everything working properly, the temp gauge on the Bongo is notoriously useless. It doesn't show any sort of true reading and generally once it goes over half way you are in serious trouble already. There is a mod that get it to represent temperature more accurately, but it involves pulling the dashboard apart and soldering resistors on. It's probably not something a garage will be willing to do for you, so would be a DIY job.

I opted for a TM4 engine monitor and combined coolant alarm, which works well, but is quite pricey for what it is. Gives complete piece of mind though.
http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... =3&t=73932

It's well worth becoming a Bongo Fury member. You then get 12.5% discount on parts. Most independent garages let you supply your own parts. Some even prefer it with Bongos - saves them a lot of time trying to source things!

You also get access to lots of useful fact sheets, including how to pull apart the dashboard and sort out the temp gauge accuracy ;) Best £13 I've spent on the Bongo so far.
(Note. I'm not affiliated in any way to Bongo Fury ;))
Libster
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Libster » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:37 pm

Update on the Engine Management Check light.

As promised here are the findings from the Garage. :D

According to Rob at Owl Motors in Southsea it is the Sensor that regulates the mixture for my fuel and helps with fuel efficiency. After checking if he could fit a cheaper RX8 sensor (£80+VAT) :) and having ordered it in - it wouldn't fit :( . So he ordered a fresh NEW sensor direct from MAZDA, which costs £180+VAT and takes an hour to Fit at £60+vat :shock: . A killer bill for being an owner for one week.. Lets hope things improve :)

I hadn't actually noticed that my fuel was affected but I did notice the Engine check light. He says everything else appears to be fine and that my engine is clean and shouldn't have the same coolant' worries of the diesels.

I honestly believed that 'New' parts such as sensors etc weren't going to be available - that most parts would be from 'broken vans' etc
Libster
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Libster » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:41 pm

mitchelln wrote:Happy to help!

I would definitely swap out the thermostat. It seems to be quite a common thing on the 2L. It's just not worth risking cooling issues with an engine you will probably not be able to easily fix if it overheats.
I regularly travel on the IoW ferry from Portsmouth and know what a nightmare the A3, M271 and M3 are at times. There's nothing worse than sitting in traffic worrying about overheating!

Unfortunately, even with everything working properly, the temp gauge on the Bongo is notoriously useless. It doesn't show any sort of true reading and generally once it goes over half way you are in serious trouble already. There is a mod that get it to represent temperature more accurately, but it involves pulling the dashboard apart and soldering resistors on. It's probably not something a garage will be willing to do for you, so would be a DIY job.

I opted for a TM4 engine monitor and combined coolant alarm, which works well, but is quite pricey for what it is. Gives complete piece of mind though.
http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... =3&t=73932

It's well worth becoming a Bongo Fury member. You then get 12.5% discount on parts. Most independent garages let you supply your own parts. Some even prefer it with Bongos - saves them a lot of time trying to source things!

You also get access to lots of useful fact sheets, including how to pull apart the dashboard and sort out the temp gauge accuracy ;) Best £13 I've spent on the Bongo so far.
(Note. I'm not affiliated in any way to Bongo Fury ;))

OOh I don't think I feel confident enough to fit such a device, but sounds like I really should *gulp* - scared to even start!!

Thankfully I am a Bongo Fury Member and will source parts from BF too in future - even if it just helps the garage out a bit

Thank you once again :)
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:24 am

Libster wrote:Update on the Engine Management Check light.

As promised here are the findings from the Garage. :D

According to Rob at Owl Motors in Southsea it is the Sensor that regulates the mixture for my fuel and helps with fuel efficiency. After checking if he could fit a cheaper RX8 sensor (£80+VAT) :) and having ordered it in - it wouldn't fit :( . So he ordered a fresh NEW sensor direct from MAZDA, which costs £180+VAT and takes an hour to Fit at £60+vat :shock: . A killer bill for being an owner for one week.. Lets hope things improve :)

I hadn't actually noticed that my fuel was affected but I did notice the Engine check light. He says everything else appears to be fine and that my engine is clean and shouldn't have the same coolant' worries of the diesels.

I honestly believed that 'New' parts such as sensors etc weren't going to be available - that most parts would be from 'broken vans' etc
For info, the 2l petrol is shared with the Mazda 626 so parts and expertise shouldn't be a problem. Except for OEM spares prices!
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:27 pm

Did they check the thermostat?

Return to “Techie Stuff”