cutting out 2.5 td

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

pbgb
Apprentice Bongonaut

cutting out 2.5 td

Post by pbgb » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:26 pm

hello fellow bongoliers , this post is an update to a year long problem I've had with my dear bongo cutting out after about an hours driving. Very frustrating and also limiting our bongo experience! I've spent this time exploring the fuel system to no avail.....but now following my mot the tech. who performed it was chatting and I mentioned this problem...." that sounds like your crank position sensor is on its way out......when it gets hot it fails and so when you slow down it can't send the correct message to the ecu and the engine revs drop and cuts out" So changed mine Friday and yesterday went for a long drive with no problems whatsoever !!! Just posting this as when I posted up my fault last year a few people came up with the same issue and I'm just hoping this can help , Happy Bongoing All !
cmm303
Supreme Being

Re: cutting out 2.5 td

Post by cmm303 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:40 pm

Good to get it sorted. =D> Patience paid off.
Solutions to problems are always useful so they come up when people go searching.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:27 pm

As Chris says, really useful info, thanks for posting. =D>

And really glad you're sorted, here's to many Bongo Adventures. :D
gotstuckrecord
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by gotstuckrecord » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:53 am

Hi pbgb,

Thanks for posting! We've had the same problem with the same model and have tested for fuel vacuums, dirty fuel, blockages, filter changes, etc. this sounds like it could be the fix we've been searching for.

I just wanted to ask if your bongo is still running smoothly?

I know it can be difficult to test as it only happens after a decent motorway drive.

Has anybody else had a problem with the crank position sensor (pulse generator)?

Many thanks
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:32 am

Will be curious to know if this has sorted the original problem as I wouldn't have thought the crank sensor on an old school diesel like this would be critical to it running. I would have thought that it is just for running the rev counter & dynamically advancing/retarding the pump timing. Would be interesting to see if the engine starts with it unplugged?
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
Billabongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Billabongo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:55 pm

Hi fellow frustrated bongoers.
I have a 1998 Bongo conversion (V6 2.5L Petrol), bought Dec 2016. All was running perfectly until around May 2017 and it has developed the annoying cutting out issue. Initially it seemed that 60 miles was the approximate point at which the fault would occur - at anytime, and engine would just die. All warning lights stay on as normal pre-start, but engine stopped. Leaving it for about 30 mins, it would restart and run as normal. The last occurrence in Trowbridge in June it cut out at a roundabout and I just managed to coast into an industrial estate. I called roadside recovery and of course, it started perfectly for them and the problem would not repeat on a 1.5 mile test drive; we drove on in hope, but after 6 miles Bongo died again on a very dangerous bend. Luckily the recovery van was still close by, and we were taken to a nearby garage ("The Garage"brilliant, by the way)where we left it for a week, during which they could not replicate the problem and all usual checks proved negative. The crankshaft sensor (being one possible cause) was changed, and we collected and drove the 60 or so miles home without issue and so thought problem was cured; sadly, same problem occurred early august and we took to a local expert and this time had the fuel filter changed. 2 days ago, and the problem is back but possibly occurring much sooner in the run (certainly less than 1 hour). Leaving to cool for 1/2 to 1 hour, she will restart but cannot depend on how long she will run without next dying. Obviously this means we dare not use her at the moment, and as we dearly love her we would really like to discover the cause - any suggestions gratefully received. I will keep all informed if we have any success
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:33 am

gotstuckrecord wrote:Hi pbgb,

Thanks for posting! We've had the same problem with the same model and have tested for fuel vacuums, dirty fuel, blockages, filter changes, etc. this sounds like it could be the fix we've been searching for.

I just wanted to ask if your bongo is still running smoothly?

I know it can be difficult to test as it only happens after a decent motorway drive.

Has anybody else had a problem with the crank position sensor (pulse generator)?

Many thanks

the crank sensor or pulse generator 20-h10 in the link below doesnt usually fail the connector gets corroded as its on the front of the engine in all the weather. ive had 2 or 3 that have required removing, (one 10mm bolt) then remove the engine oil that collects in the well that it sits in, wipe it clean and refit then all is well. watch the little O ring doesnt get damaged.
http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... o=.html#16
MalcW
Bongonaut

Post by MalcW » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:07 am

Hi Billabongo. The symptoms you describe are identical to the problem we had some while ago with a V6 Renault Espace. After much trial and error the garage working on it found that it was the coil pack that was failing when it got to a certain temperature. Once that was replaced everything was fine.

Return to “Techie Stuff”