Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Eye Guy
Bongonaut

Coolant Leak Assistance

Post by Eye Guy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:23 pm

Hi Guys,

More of this well trodden path :mrgreen:

My coolant alarm gave a chirp yesterday and indeed the level in the header tank had dropped a little. Not too much. Topped up with about half a pint.

Left overnight and no sign of an easily detectable drip.

Took for a wee drive to heat her up and then back for a close inspection. Header tank still appears full but don't want to take the lid off, as its warm.

Good look about with a torch. No obvious leaks but I have found a wet end to a rubber pipe under the radiator where it inserts onto a small metal pipe. I've done my best to take some images but it's not easy to photograph down there!

https://flic.kr/p/X8v8Zx

https://flic.kr/p/WSJsNL

Could this be the culprit?

Thanks as always,
Colin
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Coolant Leak Assistance

Post by Bob » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:38 pm

It could be, what you need to do is a pressure test.

A garage can do it, or Northrenbongalow has posted some good advice on a DIY set up for this, which hopefuly a search will bring to the surface.

Obviously it needs investigating. 8)
Eye Guy
Bongonaut

Post by Eye Guy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:57 pm

Thanks Bob,

I have read the post about the pressure test now. I'm a cyclist (don't hold it against me :wink: ) so have plenty of tubes I could use and a pump. Will give it a go and see what comes of it. I presume you don't need to block off the bleed pipe?

Cheers
Colin.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:02 pm

Cyclist myself, and I think there may be a lot more in a few years. :lol:

Anyhow, no, the bleed pipe should be watertight and pressure sealed.
Eye Guy
Bongonaut

Post by Eye Guy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:33 pm

Aye. Electric engine in a Bongo anyone...? :lol:

Cheers
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:31 am

the pipe shown in your pics is the pipes at the bottom of the radiator, these are the gearbox oil cooler pipes which is in the bottom of the rad, these are filled with gearbox oil when the engine is running so dont really affect the coolant level.
as bob says do a pressure test then come back.

the front crossmember (it hold the radiator up and in position ) looks like it could do with a drink of old engine oil before it gets too rusty. :wink:
Eye Guy
Bongonaut

Post by Eye Guy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:26 am

Thanks NB,

I will try for this weekend, weather dependant (it's Scotland in summer) and let you know.

The cross member was mentioned at the MOT. Worth running down and hammeriting? The whole underside is getting pretty rusty (today's the first time I've really looked under). Are they worth under sealing once at that stage?

Cheers
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:40 am

Eye Guy wrote:The cross member was mentioned at the MOT. Worth running down and hammeriting? The whole underside is getting pretty rusty (today's the first time I've really looked under). Are they worth under sealing once at that stage?
Don't like the sound of all that. I'd want to be sourcing someone able to assess the significance of the rust and a good vehicle welder who can make any necessary repairs. The front cross member needs replacing, from the sounds of it, or it may be an MOT fail next time. If welding work is imminent, undersealing just makes the welders work harder by introducing flammable fume making material. Sorry to be speaking thus. If its any consolation, most of us ageing Bongo owners have travelled this road (and it was worth it, if you can find a good welder).
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:38 pm

NB's pressure test advice here

And found the one with the pictures in EXCEPT that the photobucket boggat has been in there and taken them away. Oh dear :(

Could be anywhere but the places to check first are:
around the top and bottom of radiator
any hoses that are bulging or feel crackly
the hoses and metal pipes underneath behind the driver
rear and front heater joins
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Eye Guy
Bongonaut

Post by Eye Guy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:22 pm

Ok Guys - wee update

Firstly, in case I forget later, you guys are amazing. This forum is an amazing resource for anyone new to owning a bongo. Your help is much appreciated. =D>

Ok - so I rigged up my pressure test kit using an old bicycle inner tube valve.

https://flic.kr/p/VWhSjR

I pumped it up to 1 bar and inspected everything with a bright light. Nothing. Tried again. Still nothing. Left it 30 minutes and there was a wee patch of wet on the ground under the drivers side. Closer inspection reveals my worst nightmare :mrgreen: it's a metal pipe, not a hose.

Difficult to photograph but I had a go:

https://flic.kr/p/VWhTCc

The leak must be tiny and is in a really difficult to reach place. Does this look right to you? I can't quite get my head around which part of the diagram that is...maybe 15-19X ? At the point where it has a bracket attached? If anyone can point me to the correct part that would be ace. Cheers.

Any advice/ direction gratefully received as always.

Cheers
Colin.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:38 pm

Your pressure test kit is very neat. =D>

That's most likely the pipe to the rear heater, fiddly but can be done ok.

I'm pretty sure that heater can be blanked off with no ill effects, but plainly that pipe isn't in good shape.

Someone with more knowledge will hopefully post the Lush Projects diagram with the part numbers, or a Bongo friendly garage will be able to help, and be sure to bleed it properly after repair.
Eye Guy
Bongonaut

Post by Eye Guy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:40 pm

Thanks Bob!

Driving myself daft now looking at Lush Projects diagrams and reading forum posts about blanking off the rear heater. Cannot really get my head around any of it! Hopefully someone will be along with some worldly advice in a minute....
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:56 pm

just take a pic that is slightly further out, i cannot make out where it is on the bongo.

15-19x goes from the front of the engine under your feet to the front end it has a little nipple on it near the bracket, it is about 30mm in dia look on the diagram.

the pipe pictured looks like the one in this link. its about 15mm dia

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... =3&t=58378

61-2d1 in this link.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html
Eye Guy
Bongonaut

Post by Eye Guy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:29 am

Sorry NB. I'll try for a better pic later. I wondered about the gauge Of the pipe when I was looking at the diagrams. It's pretty thin, so I'd go for the 15mm if I was guessing. The leak is forward of the engine bay, level with/ underneath the drivers footwell. The leak is at the point of a bracket.

Cheers.
Eye Guy
Bongonaut

Post by Eye Guy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:26 pm

Wow this has to be the hardest part of any vehicle to photograph...ever!

The pipe in question runs along the drivers side. It runs at some places close to the two thin pipes (that I think are the rear AC?)

It is narrower gauge than some of the metal pipes and joins onto a hose in the drivers side engine bay (see above my index finger in the second pic - the pipe in question is the rusty one seen attaching to a rubber hose with a jubilee clip.

Here's the best pics I can manage...

https://flic.kr/p/VVtTL3

https://flic.kr/p/Xc5mEt

https://flic.kr/p/WWuky9

Sonny questions are:

1. Which pipe is it?
2. Where do I get one?
3. Or by some stroke of luck, can I bi-pass it?

Cheers guys

Return to “Techie Stuff”