Whistling/Squealing

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mitchelln
Bongolier

Re: Whistling/Squealing

Post by mitchelln » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:55 am

On my 2L it was the aircon belt.

When I first bought the van it squealed like a stuck pig when the AC engaged which scared the life out of me on the drive home!

Initially I re-tensioned the existing belt, which cured it at low revs. However when driving around it would squeal again as the electro clutch kicked in with the engine at higher rpm or when pulling away.

Quick test to diagnose this is to turn off AC, drive around a bit and see if the noise stops :)
If it does, then with the passenger seat up so you can see the AC compressor, rev the engine and switch on the AC. It becomes pretty obvious where the noise is coming from and you'll also see the compressor pulley juddering.

I ended up changing the belt, which solved the problem. It's a really simple job. Once off I could see the old belt had chunks out of the teeth.
One thing I found is you have to tighten the pulley assembly bolt up pretty tightly or you lose belt tension again and the pig returns!

Worth checking the alternator belt as well.

If it's neither of these, next candidate would be the water pump. Luckily these are easy and cheap to get sorted.

Don't sorry, the 2L engines are pretty bomb proof. Very likely it's just one of the above and nothing major.
Black Aero City Runner 2L petrol with full side conversion
Cous101
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Cous101 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:15 am

Thanks for the help guys. Took it out this weekend for a spin. When I start engine the squealing can be heard very clearly inside the van. There is also a loss of power until the noise stops. The squealing at 3,500 revs can only really be heard when the window is open. It stops when it gets when it changes up a gear and reduces revs. It's an auto box
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:38 pm

Sounds like a trip to a Bingo friendly garage is in order unfortunately.

What do you mean by loss of power?
Cous101
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Cous101 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:03 pm

I've had someone have a quick look and they noticed the alternator belt is loose and worn so hopefully this is the problem! Going to get a belt and take it my local garage who can do these things (live in the countryside so they see all sorts of vehicles come in and are popular with farmers so must be okay!!)
Not so much loss of power as lack of power until the squealing disappears.
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:33 pm

It will almost certainly be the belt then. A simple fix hopefully.

Return to “Techie Stuff”