steering heavy after fitting new rack

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

johncleall
Junior Bongonaut

steering heavy after fitting new rack

Post by johncleall » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Steering rack started leaking on our diesel bongo so took it to Bongo Spares who fitted a recon rack and new ball joints.
Started driving home and immediately noticed the steering had changed (heavy and didn't self center after going round corners)
took it back and they said it may be tight ball joints but they didn't think it was too bad. Having never driven another Bongo
there wasn't much I could say. He did say they put dexron 1 in the rack and looking at FAQ it said dexron 3 should be used
could this be a problem?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: steering heavy after fitting new rack

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:59 pm

when swapping the rack the universal joint at the bottom of the steering shaft has to be removed, maybe this has tightened/started to fail during the change over. the uj is attached via splines and could have been pushed up the splines a little far as there is a little adjustment for the pinch bolt to go in.

is it possible the new rack is so good and sealed correctly, so not leaking, that the steering feels different, but then you do say that the self centering doesnt quite center like it used to do. #-o .

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... uj#p651229.

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... teering+uj
johncleall
Junior Bongonaut

Post by johncleall » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:45 pm

Thanks for the reply, I'll run it for a week or so to see if it improves,if not I will look at that coupling. That's what the guy at bongo spares said as well.
We had a new injector block fitted by them a couple of years ago, they are very good and helpful. thats why we went back to them.
It's that we live just outside London which is a 200+ mile trip. So if its a problem that I can fix,that would be preferable.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:01 am

johncleall wrote:Thanks for the reply, I'll run it for a week or so to see if it improves,if not I will look at that coupling. That's what the guy at bongo spares said as well.
We had a new injector block fitted by them a couple of years ago, they are very good and helpful. thats why we went back to them.
It's that we live just outside London which is a 200+ mile trip. So if its a problem that I can fix,that would be preferable.

Personally I would not leave it for a week or so, this type of problems need to be investigated ASAP ,and these vehicles Normally have Very Light Steering.

Good Luck.
johncleall
Junior Bongonaut

Post by johncleall » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:41 pm

Just thought I'd update. steering got worse so removed lower UV joint and one of the joints was solid. held it in a vice put a short piece of round steel bar in
the seized part and worked it back and forth a few dozen times to free it up. then put it in a tin of castrol graphited grease so it was just covered then put it on a very low gas hob until the grease was thin and runny (not boiling) switch off heat and leave for about half hour. Making the grease really thin allows it to get
into the joints. Came out feeling really free and smooth so its back on the van now.So if you have a shed+vice+gas ring give it a try. \:D/
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 pm

it may only be temporary, the needle rollers in the bearing caps may be damaged or flatted off, it may even be too loose. the little O rings seals must be worn and letting in water for it to go stiff so if it were mine,!!.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:06 am

I am very surprised that your mechanic did not notice this problem when fitting the new steering rack, also the fact that you also complained about the heavy steering after new rack was fitted.

A wee call to the Mechanic would probably be a good idea to alert him/her of this type of problem , and the danger of the steering seizing.

Good Luck.
johncleall
Junior Bongonaut

Post by johncleall » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:27 pm

Going to keep a close eye on it. If it had felt loose or notchy I wouldn't have put it back on.
She's 21 years old now so we don't expect her to last much longer but i'll keep you posted
on how long the UVJ lasts. Thanks again for all the advice.

Return to “Techie Stuff”