Downpipe gasket

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Enzoforever
Bongonaut

Downpipe gasket

Post by Enzoforever » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi guys, gonna investigate tomorrow anyway but thought I'd ask. On the 2.0 litre petrol is the gasket on the exhaust downpipe the same as used between the cat and middle section, and the one between the middle section and the rear section. Ie. The round type. Or is it a specific shape (an oval section with two holes for the bolts). Hope that makes sense.

Cheers
Mark
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: Downpipe gasket

Post by sotal » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:56 pm

What age is the bongo?

Does this diagram help?

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html
Enzoforever
Bongonaut

Post by Enzoforever » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:07 pm

Hi, it's 2000 and judging off that diagram it's the no. 1 gasket, are these readily available. I've replaced the mid and rear sections with o rings and bolts all purchased from bongo land
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:33 pm

For a 2000 it should be this diagram:

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html

But I think it is virtually the same.

I struggled to get any gaskets when I did mine - just used a bit of liquid exhaust gasket in the end.
Enzoforever
Bongonaut

Post by Enzoforever » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:29 am

Yeah I was struggling to find the right one myself, I have some gasket silicone sealant I used on the other two joints so I think I'll separate it, clean it, apply silicone sealant to the existing gasket and see how we go. Thank you for your input sotal.

Cheers
Mark
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:37 am

The flange and exhaust gaskets are the same depending on what type you have ....G60440305 Oval with two holes.
WL0140340305 Round.

These gaskets can be obtained from your local Mazda/Ford dealer or your friendly Tyre and Exhaust centre /Motor factors, if possible take the old gasket or a template with you if you go to the latter.

Enzoforever
Bongonaut

Post by Enzoforever » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:05 am

Oh really? so if I used round ones on the back of the cat and between mid and rear then it should be the same for the downpipe. I'll have a butchers later and report back on my findings, as I hate to read a thread and at the end........nothing, not very helpful.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:38 am

Enzoforever wrote:Oh really? so if I used round ones on the back of the cat and between mid and rear then it should be the same for the downpipe. I'll have a butchers later and report back on my findings, as I hate to read a thread and at the end........nothing, not very helpful.
Not necessary, but if it is , it will be the same part number , if not it will be the other part number you require.

IE round Wl0140305
Oval with two holes G60440305

You need to physically have a look at what you need, don't forget that these are very old vehicles and any thing can happen in the next half hour.
Enzoforever
Bongonaut

Post by Enzoforever » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:01 am

On the diagram it shows the middle and rear gaskets are 40-305 (no.2) and the downpipe is 40-305 (no.1). I managed to get the bolts off the downpipe, however the nut that goes on the bolt that attaches to the cat has rounded, and although I have a tool to remove it I can't find it at the moment. After work we'll try again.
Enzoforever
Bongonaut

Post by Enzoforever » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Okay so managed to examine it properly, just now. And shock, horror, no gasket whatsoever. There goes my idea of taking it to my local exhaust place and asking for a similar gasket :shock: The manifold goes into the cat section quite neatly, so I applied some gasket silicone sealant. We shall see if it does the trick(ie. The tick goes away) or not. I will post my findings over the next couple of days.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:20 pm

the tick on a 2 ltr is sometimes down to the down pipe splitting, its a twin wall section on the down pipe, the inner splits then resonates on the outer skin, ive heard of 2-3 doing this, you can cut off the outer skin with a grinder then weld up the inner then weld back the outer.
Enzoforever
Bongonaut

Post by Enzoforever » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:32 am

O........kaaaaay, now I feel a whole lot more optimistic........not! The "ticking" which it makes is a slight tick tick tick, almost sounds like a relay, however with the passenger seat up, you realise its not a slight tick at all. Amazing how soundproofed you are from the engine an inch or two beneath your posterior.

It doesn't do it when you start up, it doesn't do it from cold under load, but once warmed up it does it only whilst your foot is on the accelerator under load. Ie. It doesn't do it whilst reving in neutral, or whilst on the brakes, usually, although occasionally it will over run slightly. I don't know if this makes you sway towards the splitting thing you were talking about. I've not had chance to run her yet, probs tomorrow now as I'm on my way to a funeral and will be having a few do drown me sorrows.
Enzoforever
Bongonaut

Post by Enzoforever » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:25 pm

Well, I drove to Prestatyn today for a camping trip and it's still there, the ticking. It's quieter and doesn't do it as much as it did. So I'm on the right lines I think. I'll try and get a gasket and use silicone sealant and that should be that. Or I might just leave it, missus can't even hear it, I suppose I'm tuned into it! Thanks for suggestions though

Return to “Techie Stuff”