Willinton kit relay issue

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

billymansell
Bongolier

Willinton kit relay issue

Post by billymansell » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:56 pm

Hello all.

I've had a Willinton split charge relay kit fitted for 5~6 years and have come to the conclusion the relay has started causing a few issues, the main one being the contacts appear to remain closed with the ignition switched off as when I turn the ignition current is being drawn from the LB when the LB should still be isolated from the SB (the lights dim and stereo switches off and back on when I turn the key).

The green LED is always on whether engine running or not, which I don't know if relevant as I don't think I've ever looked at the LED before.

I've taken the relay out and took the cover off to look at the contacts which were open so I assume something is happening from the constant live connection.

Any thoughts welcome.
The all black 2.5 V6 - "looks more like a pimpmobile than a playbus"
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Willinton kit relay issue

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:31 am

ive seen a few of these fail after prolonged use, i contacted the maker who replaced them, it wont help you now though as i think he is not around any more. if your handy with a meter you should be able to diagnose whats going on, it sounds if its the relay thats struggling so maybe replace it with a standard part wired outside the unit so that the control board still does its stuff but controls a new relay.

i personally think the unit is only good for 5 -7 years depending on time used and have replaced 2 myself on other peoples bongos with a bigger but more robust system of split charging. the good thing about the willinton is its plug and play. rooster does a similar system so could maybe help/replace parts/remove and fit his system if you shout him on here.
billymansell
Bongolier

Post by billymansell » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:49 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I'm glad to hear it sounds routine for these to fail after a number of years as I'd thought the van was conspiring against me with its various little electrical faults but most of them appear to be down to this little box of tricks not working properly.

I've decided to go with replacing the relay, either with another Nagares type that would need the alernator connection but I haven't yet looked at where to pick up a connection, or one of the Durite VSR type rated at 140A.

I might give rooster a shout so I'm clearer on the options.
The all black 2.5 V6 - "looks more like a pimpmobile than a playbus"
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:56 pm

rooster does a very similar operating kit, but ive not been inside one to see whats in em, maybe easier to swap yours out for one of his.

i must admit before i saw roosters kits at the bash i always fit the durite systems, ive fit loads and never had one fail yet.

Return to “Techie Stuff”