Solar panel advice

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Solar panel advice

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:00 pm

Yup as above, minimise the standing load, my setup is a bit extreme on that sort of thing so I am very aware of it, but in most setups the standing current shouldn't be much more than 100mA (0.1Amp). However with more CarCams having parking and motion detection built, USB charges left in sockets etc. and Android based radio/satnav systems its surprising how rapidly the current will increase. At home now I leave it plugged in on the EHU to minimise cycling with the charger supplying the standing load.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
timhowes
Bongonaut

Post by timhowes » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:09 pm

This has all got me a bit worried about the life of my [new last year] 110 Ah LB, as I have a standing load of 0.3A coming of the LB and solar charging.

My Willington-type loom runs straight off the solar controller's load terminals. I must confess I don't know exactly what runs off this as the fuse panel confuses me, but essentially I run the radio, cabin lights and an efficient compressor fridge of this, plus a bit of ciggie-lighter charging for phones etc.

I have an LCD display coming off my controller, which offers simple control for LOAD On/Off. My plan is to simply turn the load off when I'm not using the van. Only downside I see is possibly losing the radio memory i.e. channel presets (no big deal) and my bluetooth pairings. Is there anything else I should be worried about if I were to follow the above proposition?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:22 pm

If your Solar panel controller is indicating 0.3 Amps then it some of that will be charging the battery and the rest going to the various loads, you need to measure the standing current from the battery when NO charging is going on either Solar or EHU, 0.1 Amps would be typical 0.3 Amps not critical but more than 0.5 Amps you be worth checking what is drawing that current so that at least you understand the loads.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
ben
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by ben » Tue May 15, 2018 9:33 am

BenjiBongo wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:34 pm I fitted one of the semi flexible ones (100w) with marine sealant/adhesive. It's still doing a grand job. Was quite straight forward.

Pic here http://imgur.com/SuAm24H
Can you tell me what marine sealant you used please?
ben
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by ben » Tue May 15, 2018 9:34 am

I am bout to put a semflexi panel on my unconverted AFT

can any of you give me an idea of where a good position for the mppt controller would be in the van please, still looking for inspiration on this

many thanks
Ben
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue May 15, 2018 9:55 am

It depends so much on the conversion, in some respects its easier to put it closer to the solar panel itself and use existing wiring to charge the battery, however there is also a lot to be said for having as a direct feed as possible to the battery. I put mine down inside the conversion and then installed the external display at a convenient location see here http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/Solar_Panel/
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue May 15, 2018 12:44 pm

ben wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:33 am
BenjiBongo wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:34 pm I fitted one of the semi flexible ones (100w) with marine sealant/adhesive. It's still doing a grand job. Was quite straight forward.

Pic here http://imgur.com/SuAm24H
Can you tell me what marine sealant you used please?

Have a look at Sikaflex products. :wink:

Return to “Techie Stuff”