Coolant

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongo_tc
Apprentice Bongonaut

Coolant

Post by bongo_tc » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:13 am

Hi all,

Driven from Scotland to South of France. Have completely overlooked the coolant which now appears to be empty. There's a slight gurgling sound appearing to come from that compartment when driving. I'll need to buy some locally but not sure what I should be looking for. Other forum threads talk about red/green etc - I've never topped up myself as been done for me up until now by the garage and never been advised what to use. If coolant is empty, is it safe for me to get whatever sold locally? Everything running normally otherwise.

Cheers,
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Coolant

Post by Bob » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:24 am

Sadly this is likely to be much worse than just topping up.

Firstly, which engine do you have?

If it's a diesel they are prone to the head cracking if overheated, and the 2 1/2 ltr engines, petrol and diesel must be bled if the coolant drops below the header tank.

Google 'Bongo bleed process' or similar and view the 3 You Tube videos. If you have a garage do this work make certain they fully understand the process otherwise you will just ovreheat soon after setting off.

Sorry to bring bad news, and others will have some thoughts, but you may well be looking at a recovery truck home.

It goes,without saying that you need to find the leak and get that fixed, then I'd flush the system, hopefully you will see some colour when draining but you should be safe filling with new anti- freeze of pretty much any type then.

Good luck. [-o<
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:59 pm

You could use ... Bluecol universal antifreeze clear. ( or similar manufacturer) Its readily available off the shelf in most motor factors or Asda,Tesco, Morrisons etc.
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:10 pm

In case it helps...
You are looking for 'liquide de refroidissement bluecol'. Sadly don't think it appears to be available in France. Others may have had more luck finding it.
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:48 am

the following is just to get you moving or home.

just fill it with water to get you to where you want to go, or get you home, fill the tank at the top right to the high mark when its cold then check it after you have run the engine for 5 mins with the cap off the expansion tank(not the rad cap), then check again, fill to mark again and repeat till it holds its level, then put the cap back on and check with the cap still on very regularly, and watch the temp gauge like a hawk. once the cap has been fitted and the engine has got warmed up check for leaks under the van.

you really need to bleed the air out of system unless its the 2 ltr petrol, if you get any movement on the gauge or gurgling noises stop immediately.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:52 am

Top tip, Ady, but bear in mind 'Get you home' is South of France to Scotland in this case. [-o<
bongo_tc
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bongo_tc » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:00 am

Thanks for all your comments. We have a diesel 2.5 turbo.

I've topped up with water this morning then taken for a 15 minute drive (it's hilly in the Dordogne so good rev variation). There has been no gurgling noise and performance is holding up. What is an issue however is the radiator fan - you can't hear it very well when driving but you certainly can when stationary with the ignition on. No noise when ignition turned off. We have Euro breakdown insurance which we can fall back on in an emergency

Further thoughts/opinions are most welcome.

Got half way through our 3 week trip so will see how we go. If we survive the remainder of the trip then naturally it'll be going back to the garage for a thorough check!

Cheers,
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:30 am

How much water did it take to top it up? You really could use getting it bled properly if a suitable garage can be found that can follow the proper procedure. What colour is the coolant? If it's greenish then chances are it's ethylene glycol based (may techies on here could give their opinion). That is simple old fashioned anti-freeze and I'd have thought that could be bought anywhere [-o<

Good luck, keep us posted, and strongly recommend a low coolant alarm be fitted asap to avoid a repeat ;-)
bongo_tc
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bongo_tc » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:00 am

Thanks Mike,

I'm guessing I was filling up from empty or near empty. Having left things to cool down, I've rechecked the water level in the coolant and it appears to have drained away. Not great really. The temperature gauge is showing neutral so I don't think there's an overheating issue (assuming the gauge is working properly).

May have to see if a local garage can have it bled properly as mentioned by the Bongo Community. I'll keep you all posted with progress. Thanks for your support and concern.

Cheers,
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:05 am

If you've got the aircon on, then the radiator fans will cycle on-off.
Otherwise it is quite rare for them to come on as the engine temperature has to be hot-hot for them to switch on and normally they bring the coolant temperature down quite rapidly. But then it has been a tad hot here recently, don't know about the Dordogne?!

Where did the temperature gauge get to?

If you can't get the Universal Antifreeze, could you give your home garage a call to ask what type of anti-freeze they use? I think I'm safe in saying that antifreeze has either a 2 year or 5 year life and top up with the same. Unfortunately colours are not standard especially internationally.

As NorthernBongalow said, the topping up is just to get to a mechanic to bleed the system properly. You've been directed to the youtube videos - that process must be followed, no shortcuts whatever the mechanic says!
I think there is a translated instruction sheet which I will try to find.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
bongo_tc
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bongo_tc » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:30 am

Thanks cmm303,

The last few days have been cooler but the first week was scorching - plus 30 degrees. Done approx 2,000k driving in that time so the bongo has been thoroughly tested, probably too much!
Aircon has been on previously whilst on long motorway drives but wound the windows down on the local quieter roads.

I phoned my garage yesterday and they recommended topping up with water for now - they didn't sound too concerned though they're not yet aware of the latest issue. I've to call them later but I think getting a mechanic out is the way forward. Will await translation instructions before making a callout.

Having a quiet day to sort things out not the end of the world as done a lot of exploring lately!

Cheers,
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:43 am

[Edit]Found it! The French bleeding instructions appear to be at the end of the french instructions for replacing the radiator. (Its in the members area ... is that ok for you?)

Found a French translation in another post. Translation courtesy of member Daveblueozzie

The english
haydn callow wrote: Slightly amended instructions....any translate into french ??

NOTE.. (Before you start) Get a large funnel and cut the spout so the bleed tube will push up into it nice and tight.(in emergency use a large "pop" bottle and cut off the bottom). Don't take the bung out of the pipe yet.
Pre mix your coolant......30% min/50%max.

1..remove the plastic air scoop from under the bonnet.
2..remove the pressure cap off the expansion tank.
3..remove the pressure cap from the radiator and fill to brim if it is not already full.
4..replace radiator cap.
5..fill the expansion tank to the FULL line.
6..release the radiator cap till coolant overflows and tighten radiator cap.
7..top up expansion tank to FULL
8..under the passenger seat ..find the coolant bleed tube...remove the bung and push up into funnel.
9..half fill the funnel with premixed coolant.

Note..by raising/lowering the funnel and controlling engine revs, you will from now on be able to control the level of the coolant in the header tank & funnel.
At no point from now on allow the funnel to empty or the header tank to drop below FILL.

10..start the engine...switch on heaters.....rev to 2500 for 3 mins....idle for 1 min.
11..keep repeating this cycle until the heaters blow hot and switch the heaters off.
12..carry on with the rev 2500/idle cycle..raising and lowering the funnel...you will have to do this for about 30/40 mins.....UNTILL THE BOTTOM HOSE GETS GOOD AND WARM/HOT..(Thermostat open).

Once this happens carry on till all bubbles stop and replace the bleed tube bung (wear gloves..very hot)put the bung in as coolant is flowing out so no air can sneak in.

Top up the tank...replace the tank cap.....go for a drive and keep a eye on coolant levels for a few days....should be o.k. If job was done properly.

THE SECRET IS TO GET THE BOTTOM HOSE HOT WHILST BLEEDING (THERMOSTAT OPEN)

ANY PROBLEMS PHONE ME 01458 270230 AND ASK FOR HAYDN.
The French
daveblueozzie wrote: this is probably not 100% translated, but should help.
NOTE. (Avant vous commencez) obtenir un grand entonnoir et couper le bec ainsi le tube de soutirage soulèveront dans lui gentil et fortement. (dans l'utilisation de secours un grand " ; pop" ; mettez en bouteille et découpez le fond). Don' ; t prennent le bondon hors de la pipe encore. Mélangez pré votre liquide réfrigérant ...... 30% min/50%max.
1.remove le godet d'air en plastique de dessous le capot.
2.remove le chapeau de pression outre de la cuve d'expansion.
3.remove le chapeau de pression du radiateur et de la suffisance à déborder si elle n'est pas déjà pleine. bouchon du radiateur
4.replace.
5.fill la cuve d'expansion à l'en trait plein.
6.release le bouchon de radiateur jusqu'aux débordements de liquide réfrigérant et serrent le bouchon de radiateur.
7. refaites le plein de la cuve d'expansion à COMPLÈTEMENT
8.under le siège de passager. .find le tube de purge de liquide réfrigérant… enlèvent le bondon et soulèvent dans l'entonnoir. suffisance
9.half l'entonnoir avec le liquide réfrigérant pré-mélangé. Augmenter de la note. .by/abaissant l'entonnoir et commandant le moteur revs, vous pourra dorénavant commander le niveau du liquide réfrigérant dans le & de réservoir d'en-tête ; entonnoir. À aucun point permettez dorénavant à l'entonnoir de vider ou au réservoir d'en-tête de se laisser tomber au-dessous de la SUFFISANCE.
10.start que le commutateur de moteur… sur des réchauffeurs ..... rev à 2500 pendant 3 minutes….tournez au ralenti pendant 1 mn.
11.keep répétant ce cycle jusqu'aux réchauffeurs soufflent chaud et coupent les réchauffeurs.
12. .carry on avec rev 2500/idle le cycle. .raising et abaissant l'entonnoir… vous devrez faire ceci pour environ 30/40 de minutes ..... JUSQU'À CE QUE LE TUYAU INFÉRIEUR OBTIENNE BON ET WARM/HOT. (Thermostat ouvert).
Une fois que ceci se produit continuez jusqu'à ce que toutes les bulles arrêtent et remplacent le bondon de soutirage de tube (gants. .very d'usage chauds) mettent le bondon dedans comme le liquide réfrigérant sort ainsi aucun air ne peut partir furtivement dedans. Refaites le plein du réservoir… remplacent le chapeau de réservoir ..... vont pour une commande et gardent un oeil aux niveaux de liquide réfrigérant pour des quelques ould de days....sh pour être bien. Si le travail était réalisé correctement.
LE SECRET EST D'OBTENIR LE TUYAU INFÉRIEUR CHAUD TOUT EN SAIGNANT (LE THERMOSTAT OUVERT)
Chris with BertieB
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:05 am

Mechanic should pressure test it and hopefully find/fix the cause of the coolant loss so the rest of your hols is trouble free.

This post from 2015 may be helpful:
apapa wrote:I am not sure where in the Dordogne you are but there is a campsite in Limousin (next to Dordogne) called Camping Moulin de la Geneste 00 33 (0) 5 55 98 90 08. I would recommend it anyway as it is a brilliant campsite, however, it is owned by an English couple (Steve and Sharon) and they are some of the nicest, most helpful people you could ever wish to meet. They may be able to suggest a good, reliable garage in the area.

Bon chance.

a
Chris with BertieB
bongo_tc
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bongo_tc » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:52 am

Thanks for the instructions and translation. Fortunately we're staying with friends in this section of our holiday. Thanks for the tip though.

We have RAC cover and their call centre was excellent. Just received a text to say a mechanic will be here within the hour. Will keep you posted.

Cheers,
bongo_tc
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bongo_tc » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:33 pm

Hello again,

Got towed to a local garage (apparently that's how it's done here) but that particular garage were not at all helpful so no further forward today. Getting towed tomorrow to a hopefully more helpful garage tomorrow. I've been assured they will be given the diagnostics given by the community today. I've also got a people carrier hired from tomorrow until the situation is resolved and everything is covered so that's good news.
I'll send another update when I'm further forward.

Cheers,

Return to “Techie Stuff”