Leaking from sump - taken off sump

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Frediculous
Junior Bongonaut

Leaking from sump - taken off sump

Post by Frediculous » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:22 pm

HI all,

I drove my Freda (2.5 Diesel) a few days ago and came home to find that I had left a trail of oil (?) behind me which looked as though it was coming from my sump.

I called the AA and he reckoned that my sump had rusted through and that I should change it......

So today I removed my sump and it has some surface rust but nothing that has penetrated through. Looking online there are a couple of mentions that coolant could leak through the sump (?) so I am at a bit of a loss as to what the problem could be.

I currently have a Freda with a removed sump which doesn't appear to have a gasket (do I just put the sump back on or should I buy a gasket first)?
What are the possible reasons for it leaking in the first place?

I'm sure I have missed a load of relevant detail but any help would really be appreciated......
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Leaking from sump - taken off sump

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:49 pm

if you look on this drawing it just shows gasket sealer not a gasket.
click on the number on the drawing, it shows in the left margin what it is and a part number.
check that the sump is totally flat so it seals properly then gunk it up with the correct grade of sealer for oil resistant jobs , BUT tighten to the correct torque settings and in the correct order so you dont overtighten or bend it when you put it back on.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... o=.html#22

also, bongo.s tend to leak higher up the engine then run down to the rear lower of the sump lip, so, is it leaking higher up and not at the sump.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:07 pm

The Auld favourite for a random trail of oil is the oil filter , make sure it is sealed properly and if in doubt renew it.
Frediculous
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Frediculous » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Ok - so use the appropriate liquid sealant and check the oil filter. Got it.

Hopefully that will do the job........
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:16 am

Frediculous wrote:Ok - so use the appropriate liquid sealant and check the oil filter. Got it.

Hopefully that will do the job........

It would be worthwhile running a straight edge over the sump or use a perfectly flat/level surface and lamp it.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:42 am

I called the AA and he reckoned that my sump had rusted through and that I should change it.....
Have to admit to finding it a bit disturbing that this was the AA mans best suggestion :shock: As said above the oil filter has come up several times as the culprit when this happens so that would be my first thing to check. Never heard of an (oil filled, relatively thick metal) sump rusting through, though I guess it must happen? :roll:

What is the 'lamp it' suggestion teenmal? Sounds interesting :-k
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:48 am

lamp shone from behind a metal straight edge makes it easier to see any depressions etc,ie you should see no light if perfectly flat
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:12 am

wonkanoby wrote:lamp shone from behind a metal straight edge makes it easier to see any depressions etc,ie you should see no light if perfectly flat
Thanks wonkaboy - another trick of the trade explained!
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:16 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Have to admit to finding it a bit disturbing that this was the AA mans best suggestion :shock: As said above the oil filter has come up several times as the culprit when this happens so that would be my first thing to check. Never heard of an (oil filled, relatively thick metal) sump rusting through, though I guess it must happen? :roll:
They certainly can, sumps can become porous with rust without actually making a hole & still leak oil. Some makes & models are more common than others. I reckon ive replaced no less than 50 fiat punto sumps over the years for this exact problem.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:36 pm

nth wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:
They certainly can, sumps can become porous with rust without actually making a hole & still leak oil. Some makes & models are more common than others. I reckon ive replaced no less than 50 fiat punto sumps over the years for this exact problem.
Ah yes, old Fiats, probably what the AA man had been more used to seeing :roll: :lol:
Frediculous
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Frediculous » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:39 pm

UPDATE

Thanks all for your input so far.

I have now put the pan back on - used a straight edge and torch as suggested (looked ok to me....), used an oil resistant liquid sealant rather than a gasket and tightened the bolts to a magical not too loose but not so tight as to warp the pan (not sure if I've managed to strike that balance or not).

I had ago at tightening the oil filter by hand (which hopefully was the origin of the oil leak) but I have to say that it didn't move much if at all...... Are there any other standard culprits of oil leaks through the sump if it isn't the oil filter?

Next step is the replace the ATF fluid. Ive got a few stupid questions:
- how much should I expect to put back in (I seem to have read 4.5l but I can't find that advice again)?
- what type of ATF is best to use?
- do I pour it in where the ATF dip stick is (this was what the AA chap suggested)?

Hoping to get this sorted next time Ive got a spare hour to enjoy the Freda in the sun!
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:49 pm

Atf fluid dexron 3 III
The dropped sump will take about 5l but if you evacuate the oil cooler a total of 7 is needed.
Suck out the oil if you can (the oil level is higher than the join level,
the filter is easy to remove and clean with petrol. I believe later models have a replacement filter.
there are afew posts here on how change even a you tube vid
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:16 pm

And, yes, you top up through the dip stick tube. Often the bottles of fluid come with a tube for this purpose.

Also, ATF is 'Backwards Compatible', so although the spec is Dexron 3 you can use a higher number, but not lower. :wink:

Return to “Techie Stuff”