Starter battery wire heating up – think its the 'fusible link to relay box'

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

LouieGeneral
Apprentice Bongonaut

Starter battery wire heating up – think its the 'fusible link to relay box'

Post by LouieGeneral » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi!

I have a bongo/freeda 1995 2.5 diesel... recently had some trouble starting after it was broken into (swines!!!) and was left for a while. I have replaced the battery and noticed the small wire from the main battery terminal (I think its the 'fusible link to relay box'?) had melted connections so would not start. I have cleaned the connections which has got her started but the wire seems to heat up pretty quickly. Just wondering if anyone knows how to checked this, it gets hot to the touch after 2-3 mins but cool when engine is off?

Any help or info would be really appreciated! And just let me know if more details or pictures are needed.

Many Thanks!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Starter battery wire heating up – think its the 'fusible link to relay box'

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:00 pm

It should only get warm whilst the Glowplugs are in operation, the link feeds directly to the relay to the side of the battery, if its getting warm with the engine running then the relay or ECU have a problem. However if you turn the Ignition ON then without starting the engine go delving then yes it will get hot! The glowplugs will only shut off when the ECU sees the engine temperature sufficiently high.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
LouieGeneral
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by LouieGeneral » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi Geoff,

Many thanks for your quick reply and info, really appreciate that! I'm going to have another look at this over the weekend and investigate further. I'll run a test with engine on/off etc... do you know if there is a way to check the relay and/or ECU other than simply looking for damage and checking the temp – fuse/wire overload or short maybe? I've run simple tests for the battery and alternator with a multimeter and all seems fine.

Again, any help or thoughts very much appreciated. Thanks!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:55 pm

Check the actual connector on the end of the fusible link, they can over heat and melt the plastic, saw one at the Bash like that, the connector then looses its spring and the contact gets worse and more heat etc. Otherwise just run a meter around the circuit is the way to check it.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:55 am

The fusible link will get warm if the engine is left ticking over, if its getting Hot after 2-3 minutes you need to get it checked out by an experience mechanic / auto electrician.

Have you done any work in or around the engine in particular pertaining to the glow/heater plugs If so make sure that the glow plug rail is not touching any metal/pipes.

Good Luck.
LouieGeneral
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by LouieGeneral » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi Geoff, Rita,

thanks again for your replies and input on this case, helped no end!

Its been a while since picking this back-up... but I have double checked all wiring and glow-plug rail and no obvious sings of anything wrong there. I've also had a meter test and again, nothing obvious as a problem? One thing I have noticed is the actual 'fusiblink' looks pretty old and knackered, and I may well have damaged the wire ends when pulling out and replacing the battery? The main connections are held together by a couple of wires (let m eknow if images is needed)? I've tried is to source a new 'fusiblink' but it seems these are no longer made/distributed :( The advice I have been given is to replace with an 80amp inline fuse, as the one shown in the image on this thread:

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... =3&t=69008

I don't suppose you, or anyone else out there, know anything about the wire gauge that would be needed when replacing and best place to source the wire and connectors? I will probabaly take it to the local auto electrician, but keen to get some advice if anyone has done this job before.

Thanks again!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:44 pm

There available from the Shop http://bongoland.co.uk/product/fusable-link/ we have our own supplier now ;-)

details here http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 21#p687521
Last edited by g8dhe on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:45 pm

For Insurances purposes you are advised to stick to the original fusible link , the bongo shop stocks them also available on Ebay etc etc.

Good Luck
LouieGeneral
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by LouieGeneral » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Hi again,

Ok, thanks for the info and links to purchase, thats great! I'm going to order one of the fusible links now :)

http://bongoland.co.uk/product/fusable- ... able-link/

...one quick question, I don't suppose you know if the fusible link comes with both ends of the black connectors that clip together ('Spade terminal'?) – this is damaged on the connecting wire and will need replacing. Or are these connectors available in the shop, or maybe elsewhere ie something like:

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/multiple- ... onfig.html

Thanks again for all input!

Louie
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:59 pm

I think Ian still has a number of the original ones which come with the black cover on the link itself, but the cover end on the loom is not supplied.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”