Auto Transmission Fluid (2 litre petrol)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Ian
Supreme Being

Auto Transmission Fluid (2 litre petrol)

Post by Ian » Tue May 23, 2017 10:25 am

Can someone please answer this query received from Amanda in Penzance?

I have been trying to find out about ATF fluid for my 1999 bongo friende 2 litre petrol engine but cant find much on line.. it felt like the automatic clutch was slipping so i checked the ATF fluid level. I checked while cold and the dip stick showed it was over full then i checked with engine running and it showed it was completely empty. do you know what ATF i need to buy and how much do i need to top it up? i assume i have to put it in to the the same place as the dip stick Right? cant see any where else to put it?

Any advise much appreciated
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: Auto Transmission Fluid (2 litre petrol)

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue May 23, 2017 10:32 am

Yes the Dexron3 is filled via the dipstick tube .. I use a flexi plastic funnel ..

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue May 23, 2017 10:50 am

Note it should be checked with the engine running, and remember the fluid is 'Backwards Compatible', ie if you need Dexron 3 you can use a higher number, Dexron 4 or 5 and so on, but don't use a lower number.

There was a tip from Ady just recently giving a rough starting point when the engine is off, then run up to temperature and re check with engine running and after cycling through the gears a few times. :)
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:48 pm

Bob wrote:Note it should be checked with the engine running, and remember the fluid is 'Backwards Compatible', ie if you need Dexron 3 you can use a higher number, Dexron 4 or 5 and so on, but don't use a lower number.

There was a tip from Ady just recently giving a rough starting point when the engine is off, then run up to temperature and re check with engine running and after cycling through the gears a few times. :)
Fairly sure he said he fills to the twist in the dip stick.

Ian, is the enquirer aware of the need to measure the level with the oil warmed up after say a 20 minute run, as well as Bob's point about measuring with the engine running in N after cycling through the gears (with foot on brake!).
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue May 23, 2017 3:52 pm

cmm303 wrote:
Bob wrote:
Ian, is the enquirer aware of the need to measure the level with the oil warmed up after say a 20 minute run, as well as Bob's point about measuring with the engine running in N after cycling through the gears (with foot on brake!).
I'm sure they will be. I've told them to keep an eye on this discussion for latest info.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Tue May 23, 2017 4:03 pm

Check ATF with engine running and selector in PARK.

Good Luck
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed May 24, 2017 2:10 am

Ian wrote:Can someone please answer this query received from Amanda in Penzance?

I have been trying to find out about ATF fluid for my 1999 bongo friende 2 litre petrol engine but cant find much on line.. it felt like the automatic clutch was slipping so i checked the ATF fluid level. I checked while cold and the dip stick showed it was over full then i checked with engine running and it showed it was completely empty. do you know what ATF i need to buy and how much do i need to top it up? i assume i have to put it in to the the same place as the dip stick Right? cant see any where else to put it?

Any advise much appreciated
with the engine stopped it will appear to be over full, up towards the twist in the dipstick, this is normal as the gearbox oil pump is not running and filling up the internals of the gearbox or the pipework towards the oil cooler in the front rad, when you switch on the engine the oil is lifted and circulated into the box and the cooler etc so the level in the sump reads lower. the level is hard to read with the engine running as the returning oil to the sump is splashing around, chalk or a black marker pen can help or read the back of the stick if the tip of the dipstick has dragged on the inside of the dip tube. i always use the first reading or let the oil settle again as repeated attempts to read a dip is affected by oil smearing up the tube when pulling up and putting back the dipstick.
as a general guide i like to dip while not running, and as long as the level is within 5 -10mm of the twist on the stick, im happy.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed May 24, 2017 9:42 am

Ian wrote:
cmm303 wrote:
Bob wrote:
I'm sure they will be. I've told them to keep an eye on this discussion for latest info.

Oooh, we'd better behave if we've got visitors. :wink:

And welcome along, hope we can help. :)
Amanda
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Amanda » Wed May 24, 2017 10:40 am

Thank you very much for all your helpful advice.
I went to Halfords yesterday and bought ATF fluid.They only had the Halfords own brand but it did say it was DEXRONIII. The assistant insisted it was good quality. Hope that is going to be okay? I did only have the van engine running for a minute or two when it showed it was completely empty of ATF fluid? Someone suggested the van needed to be running for 20 minutes to get a true reading from the dip stick so i will do that before I put in the ATF fluid.
Thanks again for everyone's advice.
Amanda
Amanda
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Amanda » Wed May 24, 2017 10:45 am

One more question. I dont know how much ATF fluid to put in but do i need to put the ATF fluid in while engine is cold and not running or while it is hot and running so i can keep checking the level on the dip stick?

Amanda
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed May 24, 2017 10:47 am

Hi, good to have you aboard. :)

The fluid you have should be fine.

I'd follow Ady's advice and top up to roughly the twist in the dip stick while cold, and not running,then run it up to temprature and re-check.

You don't want to be doing a longish drive if its low. :wink:

I can't see it matters if its running or not as you top up, just needs to be running while you check.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:15 pm

That's how I've done it.
It is a bit of juggling act because when you start the engine the cold ATF is pumped out of the sump and round the gearbox (hence the level drop), then driving warms up the ATF which expands causing the level in the sump to rise. I recall somebody mentioning that their dipstick had a Hot and Cold mark which would make getting it correct when warmed up a lot easier.

Getting the final correct level is quite sensitive so do little top ups. No need to drive in between these. Overfilled is a no-no, and it's necessary then to pump some out - :(
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed May 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Chris is right, and if you should need to remove some there's this kind of thing:

https://www.mailspeedmarine.com/oil-ext ... oC5xfw_wcB

Much easier, and cheaper not to overfill, but you get the point. :wink:

Bear in mind the Pela will only work if the oil is good and warm.
Amanda
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Amanda » Wed May 24, 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks very much for all your advice.
Amanda

Return to “Techie Stuff”