Alternator belts....too long?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

GowerOsprey
Bongonaut

Re: Alternator belts....too long?

Post by GowerOsprey » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:05 pm

HI everyone, thanks again to all who replied, for your help.

I thought I'd post a quick update and if you don't mind, ask for a small favour?

Since my previous posts, I have tried and failed to fit the aforementioned 1075 belts (just to see). I have since fitted some new 1100s, run the van gently, taken off, checked and refitted too many times to count, without the belts inverting, but:
- the belts were too easy to fit when new; they went on pretty easily, not at all "as if they were too small" as someone mentioned previously
- the tension bolt is pretty much at it's limit; the bolt even starts to bend if I were tighten it any more

Having checked all the pulleys, including the bottom one, and finding almost no play or wobble in any of them, the next thing I would like to check is the water pump, and more specifically, it's pulley. Could I humbly ask someone to measure the diameter of their water pump pulley, and let me know what it is?

If my pulley is smaller, this would help explain this little mystery. If it isn't, then I might well end up with a permanent bald patch on one side of my head.... :?
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:16 pm

GowerOsprey wrote:HI everyone, thanks again to all who replied, for your help.

I thought I'd post a quick update and if you don't mind, ask for a small favour?

Since my previous posts, I have tried and failed to fit the aforementioned 1075 belts (just to see). I have since fitted some new 1100s, run the van gently, taken off, checked and refitted too many times to count, without the belts inverting, but:
- the belts were too easy to fit when new; they went on pretty easily, not at all "as if they were too small" as someone mentioned previously
- the tension bolt is pretty much at it's limit; the bolt even starts to bend if I were tighten it any more

Having checked all the pulleys, including the bottom one, and finding almost no play or wobble in any of them, the next thing I would like to check is the water pump, and more specifically, it's pulley. Could I humbly ask someone to measure the diameter of their water pump pulley, and let me know what it is?

If my pulley is smaller, this would help explain this little mystery. If it isn't, then I might well end up with a permanent bald patch on one side of my head.... :?
My pulley is still in situ so hard to measure diameter without callipers so I've measured circumference with a piece of string, at the bottom of the V of the pulley groove. 37 - 37.5 cm. Sorry it isn't superbly accurate but it was quite fiddly. First measurement was about 37.2, second 37.5. Hopefully this helps.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
GowerOsprey
Bongonaut

Post by GowerOsprey » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:16 am

Thanks so much, I will measure it tomorrow and see what I come up with.

I've never wanted something to be wrong with the Bongo before, but if mine is different, I hope I can (correctly) claim that the issue is resolved!! Then I can order a new water pump and look forward to a summer of camping! [-o<
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:37 am

GowerOsprey wrote:Thanks so much, I will measure it tomorrow and see what I come up with.

I've never wanted something to be wrong with the Bongo before, but if mine is different, I hope I can (correctly) claim that the issue is resolved!! Then I can order a new water pump and look forward to a summer of camping! [-o<
Might not need to, could be just the pulley.
I replaced my water pump with a non-Mazda one and it came with extra studs which could only have been for a different way of securing the pulley, I presume for the Ford Ranger which shares this engine. I just wonder if the pulley on the Ranger is different, perhaps even in diameter, and somebody has fitted that in error to your Bongo. Pure conjecture on my part but it'll save you time and money if you don't have to change the pump.

I am at a position where I could quickly take off my pump pulley. I'll measure and post pics later.
Chris with BertieB
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:51 am

I reckon overall diameter is 14cm

Measuring bolt spacing - 5 cm opposing bolt centres.
Don't use it for the overall diameter because parallax messes this up.

Dimensions across the grooves
Chris with BertieB
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:11 am

Did you find the problem in the end?
Chris with BertieB
GowerOsprey
Bongonaut

Post by GowerOsprey » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:32 pm

Hey cmm303

What a crazy coincidence....I have been to a garage today about another problem, and got talking about this one. Following that conversation, I was planning on posting again here about this issue, when I noticed that you'd inquired after it today!

Btw, thanks for posting the pictures and measurements, I forgot to thank you at the time. I've been incredibly busy marking GCSE exam papers for the past month, and had further, unrelated issues with the van, so that this had slipped back in the order. I've simply been checking on the belts 3 or 4 times a week to make sure that they are still intact, and still in the grooves.

Basically, the answer to your question is a "no". The water pump pulley is the same size as yours, and everything else seems to be in order, except....I now believe the alternator pulley maybe too small (or at least the mechanic does, ergo, I am going with that idea for the moment!)

I appreciate this is a big ask, especially after my lack of contact to thank you for your kind help previously, but would you be able to tell me the diameter of yours (or anyone else's, if you are reading this, and are willing and able to help me out!)? Or could you point me in the direction of a reputable and trusted seller, so that I could ask them, and, if necessary, order a new one?

The mechanic immediately guessed what the issue was, and gave the alternator pulley as the culprit with minimum explanation from me, as he is aware of alternators being sold as Bongo-suitable, but have this issue. So I'm hoping [-o< that this will solve it, once and for all.

Yours, in anticipation,

Chris
sloppy7
Bongonaut

Post by sloppy7 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:55 pm

I'll be working in that vicinity over the next week or so and I'll make a mental note to measure it. Unless someone responds before then that is.

Leigh
sloppy7
Bongonaut

Post by sloppy7 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:37 pm

GowerOsprey wrote:Hey cmm303

What a crazy coincidence....I have been to a garage today about another problem, and got talking about this one. Following that conversation, I was planning on posting again here about this issue, when I noticed that you'd inquired after it today!

Btw, thanks for posting the pictures and measurements, I forgot to thank you at the time. I've been incredibly busy marking GCSE exam papers for the past month, and had further, unrelated issues with the van, so that this had slipped back in the order. I've simply been checking on the belts 3 or 4 times a week to make sure that they are still intact, and still in the grooves.

Basically, the answer to your question is a "no". The water pump pulley is the same size as yours, and everything else seems to be in order, except....I now believe the alternator pulley maybe too small (or at least the mechanic does, ergo, I am going with that idea for the moment!)

I appreciate this is a big ask, especially after my lack of contact to thank you for your kind help previously, but would you be able to tell me the diameter of yours (or anyone else's, if you are reading this, and are willing and able to help me out!)? Or could you point me in the direction of a reputable and trusted seller, so that I could ask them, and, if necessary, order a new one?

The mechanic immediately guessed what the issue was, and gave the alternator pulley as the culprit with minimum explanation from me, as he is aware of alternators being sold as Bongo-suitable, but have this issue. So I'm hoping [-o< that this will solve it, once and for all.

Yours, in anticipation,

Chris
I removed my alternator last night as I am replacing my waterpump. Remembered to measure the pulley tonight and the diameter is 84mm. Hope this helps!

Return to “Techie Stuff”