Head gasket and timing belt

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Observer
Bongolier

Head gasket and timing belt

Post by Observer » Tue May 16, 2017 1:51 pm

A prospectve buyer for our diesel 4 cyl Bongo has heard that they can have problems with 'the head' and she asked if we've ever had the gasket changed.
She's done, 93,000 miles (about 150,000 k) but only only 30,000 miles in our 7 years of ownership. I remember losing some coolant about 5 years ago but it was a heater pipe. The engine did not get a chance to overheat as my wife spotted the temp gauge going up and stopped dead, and then called our mechanic.
I fitted an alarm after that, and other than for 'test purposes' it has never gone off. She loses very little coolant, say quarter pint in 10 months and the mechanic has never mentioned it.
So, is it normal to have this item replaced for no reason?

The same question goes for the cam belt, it was replaced 30,000 miles ago when we aquired her so is there a routine for this also?
I don't want needless expese, but the prospective buyer is an aquaintance/friend and wifey doesn't want any adverse come back.
Regards Pete
My iPhone - My office
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Re: Head gasget and timing belt

Post by wonkanoby » Tue May 16, 2017 1:58 pm

head gaskets not a serice item

cam belts is, as i recall about every 70k or 5 years which ever comes first
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue May 16, 2017 2:00 pm

I think any loss of coolant needs to have it's cause ascertained as you shouldn't really be losing any. Similarly, a cambelt needs changing every 60k miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. As a buyer I'd be concerned if the age/mileage/condition of the cambelt is uncertain, but yours sounds ok. And I'd explain to any friend buying a Bongo that these old girls need tlc and don't come with guarantees but will continue to need money spending on them, so you can't promise miracles. On the other hand, there's no really comparable vehicle available for a similar price (though the Toyota regius has a lot going for it apart from not having the electric roof).
Observer
Bongolier

Post by Observer » Tue May 16, 2017 2:06 pm

wonkanoby wrote:head gaskets not a serice item

cam belts is, as i recall about every 70k or 5 years which ever comes first
Thankyou
My iPhone - My office
Observer
Bongolier

Post by Observer » Tue May 16, 2017 2:21 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:I think any loss of coolant needs to have it's cause ascertained as you shouldn't really be losing any. Similarly, a cambelt needs changing every 60k miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. As a buyer I'd be concerned if the age/mileage/condition of the cambelt is uncertain, but yours sounds ok. And I'd explain to any friend buying a Bongo that these old girls need tlc and don't come with guarantees but will continue to need money spending on them, so you can't promise miracles. On the other hand, there's no really comparable vehicle available for a similar price (though the Toyota regius has a lot going for it apart from not having the electric roof).
We use the 'lolly stick' method for checking the coolant and I suspect that I might 'angle it' slightly different to the wife so I'm not too fussed about it espcially with the alarm in place.
The belt however is a worry, is there a standard sort of charge for replacement? Our mechanic is a genuine chap (also an aquaintance/friend in our local pub. and although he seems to have a lot of very posh cars on the ramps at his garage, he never charges more than £30/hour and always provides any worn parts he has replaced for us to see.
So what's the going rate and could it be included in a general service?
Regards Pete
My iPhone - My office
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue May 16, 2017 2:27 pm

The cam belt is not included in a normal service, but of course you could have it done at the same time.

Its 4 years since mine was done so I can't remember the cost, but I seem to recal a couple of hours should do it.

Imwould remember if it had been horrendous. 8)
Observer
Bongolier

Post by Observer » Tue May 16, 2017 2:48 pm

Bob wrote:The cam belt is not included in a normal service, but of course you could have it done at the same time.

Its 4 years since mine was done so I can't remember the cost, but I seem to recal a couple of hours should do it.

Imwould remember if it had been horrendous. 8)
Ok Bob thanks, maybe someone else might chip in later.

Regards Pete
My iPhone - My office
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue May 16, 2017 2:53 pm

Observer wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:I think any loss of coolant needs to have it's cause ascertained as you shouldn't really be losing any. Similarly, a cambelt needs changing every 60k miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. As a buyer I'd be concerned if the age/mileage/condition of the cambelt is uncertain, but yours sounds ok. And I'd explain to any friend buying a Bongo that these old girls need tlc and don't come with guarantees but will continue to need money spending on them, so you can't promise miracles. On the other hand, there's no really comparable vehicle available for a similar price (though the Toyota regius has a lot going for it apart from not having the electric roof).
We use the 'lolly stick' method for checking the coolant and I suspect that I might 'angle it' slightly different to the wife so I'm not too fussed about it espcially with the alarm in place.
The belt however is a worry, is there a standard sort of charge for replacement? Our mechanic is a genuine chap (also an aquaintance/friend in our local pub. and although he seems to have a lot of very posh cars on the ramps at his garage, he never charges more than £30/hour and always provides any worn parts he has replaced for us to see.
Regards Pete
Sorry, just noticed you've had the Bongo 7 years so yes it sounds like cambelt should be done. I don't think the job should cost more than £200 on a diesel but others may know better. And if you're confident you're not losing coolant then that also should be fine. Bongos shouldn't need a gasket change unless it has blown, and you'd probably know if it had as you'd have clear symptoms.
Observer
Bongolier

Post by Observer » Tue May 16, 2017 3:11 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Observer wrote:
Regards Pete
Sorry, just noticed you've had the Bongo 7 years so yes it sounds like cambelt should be done. I don't think the job should cost more than £200 on a diesel but others may know better. And if you're confident you're not losing coolant then that also should be fine. Bongos shouldn't need a gasket change unless it has blown, and you'd probably know if it had as you'd have clear symptoms.
Thanks and as you say, others might have more recent info ....
My iPhone - My office
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue May 16, 2017 6:05 pm

I have been around Bongo for around six years and rarely ever heard of a head gasket 'going' ..

But heads cracking yes ..!!
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Observer
Bongolier

Post by Observer » Tue May 16, 2017 7:07 pm

mikeWalsall wrote:I have been around Bongo for around six years and rarely ever heard of a head gasket 'going' ..

But heads cracking yes ..!!
Right, so if the cooling system is looked after i.e. don't allow it to run dry, it shouldn't overheat and cook the head. And, hopefully a build up of sludge doesn't happen all should be well.
Regards Pete
My iPhone - My office
Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: Head gasket and timing belt

Post by Gasy » Tue May 16, 2017 8:13 pm

Had my cam belt and oils inc DIFFS and transfer box oils and oil filter , fuel filter done for £180 2 years ago
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Observer
Bongolier

Post by Observer » Tue May 16, 2017 8:42 pm

Gasy wrote:Had my cam belt and oils inc DIFFS and transfer box oils and oil filter , fuel filter done for £180 2 years ago
Wow, that would do nicely …
My iPhone - My office
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed May 17, 2017 2:54 am

never heard of a diesel bongo breaking a timing belt in 10 years of messin with em.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed May 17, 2017 8:19 am

Northern Bongolow wrote:never heard of a diesel bongo breaking a timing belt in 10 years of messin with em.
Hmmm. There have been stories on here of it happening.

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... elt+broken

You were probably dealing with a more careful class of owner :P

Return to “Techie Stuff”