Help please - how to re-attach gear stick knob?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BongoGog
Bongonaut

Help please - how to re-attach gear stick knob?

Post by BongoGog » Mon May 15, 2017 9:17 pm

Evening all,

I replaced the automatic gear 'shift' stick selector strip (which took soooo long), but had to partly remove the gear knob for better access. The top chrome button (for shifting gears) popped out along with its spring which was a sight I did not expect or enjoy! I now cannot re-attach the gear knob, it needs to go lower about an inch for the screws to fit. There is a threaded bar approx 5mm with a white plastic top and an electric cable which is inserted into the gear stick, which have been partly disconnected - these need to, somehow, be connected to the button that popped out.

I've searched the forums and fact sheets, and youtube but have been unsuccessful.

Does anyone know how to do this or where I could find out?

Appreciate your help.
Rust Never Sleeps!!!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Help please - how to re-attach gear stick knob?

Post by g8dhe » Tue May 16, 2017 9:11 am

I remember mine came out when I did the same job! But blowed if I can remember how it went back together! There wasn't anything special as far as I can recall, I suspect it was have the spring end cap in position before sliding it back down the shaft, do that it slides back into position.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue May 16, 2017 11:57 am

BongoGog
Bongonaut

Post by BongoGog » Wed May 17, 2017 12:10 am

Thanks for the help.

As it turned out there is a blue electric cable that runs down the shaft - which is pinched in position, just release it and there is then enough cable to free the gear stick from the shaft which allows access to turn the spring end cap into position - as stated by g8dhe.

So glad I got that sorted, just hope my gear selection strip wont break again, which I suspect it will as its so thin and flexible, bought cheap off ebay. Wonder if the ones sold at the bongo shop are better?
Rust Never Sleeps!!!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed May 17, 2017 8:24 am

BongoGog wrote:Thanks for the help.

As it turned out there is a blue electric cable that runs down the shaft - which is pinched in position, just release it and there is then enough cable to free the gear stick from the shaft which allows access to turn the spring end cap into position - as stated by g8dhe.

So glad I got that sorted, just hope my gear selection strip wont break again, which I suspect it will as its so thin and flexible, bought cheap off ebay. Wonder if the ones sold at the bongo shop are better?
I had to do this job 10+ years ago when I bought my Bongo. Got a strip off eBay and have never had to do it again [-o< Guess it depends whether something gets dropped on it etc. Would have offered advice on reassembly as I recall it being a bit baffling to a newbie, but it's so long ago I've forgotten how I did it #-o :lol:

Return to “Techie Stuff”