Cooling Help Please! At the end of my tether :{

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Manxda
Bongonaut

Re: Cooling Help Please! At the end of my tether :{

Post by Manxda » Fri May 12, 2017 6:16 pm

g8dhe wrote:
Manxda wrote: Curious thing is why it's not going the whole hog with the gauge setting at 1 o'clock, anymore. Cheers.
Sometimes the force of the boiling is sufficient to force the trapped air along and out, and hence the temperature varies wildly!
Yep, sounds plausible. Me and the missus going to do a coolant bleed again tomorrow (she hates it!). Took us 2 hours last time. Thanks.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Fri May 12, 2017 6:25 pm

Not much help but I was in the I o m 2 weeks ago.
Bongo heads need to be fitted by peeps who know what they are doing.....was the engine block face 'decked' ? (Made level) if not and it is untrue (warped)then the heads will suffer. Without Expert Bongo help you are going to struggle.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Fri May 12, 2017 6:34 pm

Given the overheat and persistent, albeit sporadic inclination to ditch its coolant a sniff test could save you a lot of effort by ruling in or out the elephant in the room.

So we've got newish pump, thermostat, radiator and caps. Sounds like all the coolant pipes (17 of 'em) could do with inspection and perhaps replacement. Also check the condition of the metal pipes especially running between the rear heater hoses and the front. Looking for the smallest pinhole.

Has the coolant been replaced recently and/or changed to a different type of coolant?

I appreciate this is after the event, but it sounds like you could do with a head temperature gauge or, if funds are tight modify the temp gauge for pence so you have more warning of overheating than the standard gauge gives you. Many consider that by the time the standard gauge reacts it is often too late.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Fri May 12, 2017 6:40 pm

Sniff tests are not conclusive. A negative test does NOT mean all is well. Cracks in the head can be very difficult to suss out
Also BMW Clocks
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri May 12, 2017 7:30 pm

This could be cheaper than paying a garage:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/33171824 ... 4071953993
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri May 12, 2017 8:05 pm

I was at my mechanic Adrian at Japandirect in Bury a few years back. He was dealing with a Bongo that had crudded up radiators and he was replacing both main and front heater radiators. I also recall people on here doing research on the Bongo coolant system and determining that the front heater radiator was an important part of the circuit. Seems a strange idea to me but I'm sure Adrian wouldn't mind you calling him on 0161-763-3003 to ask him what he thinks. He's a Bongo expert of many years standing. Of course if channels in the engine block are crudded I'm not sure what you do. I wonder whether one bodge might be an engine block temp gauge and either link rad fans to activate from the temp gauge or else with a manual override switch. Not fixing the cause but might prevent system going critical.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Fri May 12, 2017 8:26 pm

If the coolant is being 'blown'out of the header tank it is probably because the system is being over pressurised by exhaust gasses entering the system via the cylinder head cracks.
Also BMW Clocks
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Fri May 12, 2017 8:33 pm

Reguarding the front ( or rear) heater rads, I don't really see how they can cause to much of a problem......rearones are often by passed, and when I had a leaky front one I bypassed it for a couple of weeks until I Got back from holiday and fitted a new one. The main coolant flow does not depend on the heater rads.
Also BMW Clocks
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri May 12, 2017 8:37 pm

Bob wrote:This could be cheaper than paying a garage:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/33171824 ... 4071953993

This is a Chemical block test kit, the Sniffer test is using a Gas Analyser over the expansion/header tank to take a Sniff (sample) which will or not confirm the presence of combustion gasses in the coolant.

Good Luck
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri May 12, 2017 10:44 pm

haydn callow wrote:Reguarding the front ( or rear) heater rads, I don't really see how they can cause to much of a problem......rearones are often by passed, and when I had a leaky front one I bypassed it for a couple of weeks until I Got back from holiday and fitted a new one. The main coolant flow does not depend on the heater rads.
I'm inclined to agree, but I mention it because I seem to recall a great big BF think-tank some years back (Widdowson et al) suggesting the front heater radiator was important. Adrian might just be able to comment since he sees and deals with the beasties.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:48 pm

I don't know about the front heater but on the only journey I had the rear heater running the Bongo ran a few degrees HOTTER than normal. Explain that!!
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri May 12, 2017 10:52 pm

haydn callow wrote:Reguarding the front ( or rear) heater rads, I don't really see how they can cause to much of a problem......rearones are often by passed, and when I had a leaky front one I bypassed it for a couple of weeks until I Got back from holiday and fitted a new one. The main coolant flow does not depend on the heater rads.

The fact that you by-passed and did not blank the flow/return should answer your question?.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri May 12, 2017 10:53 pm

it would be best to pressure test the whole system before you bleed it again, it will not bleed up right if it has a leak somewhere.
get an old rad cap and cut through the bottom seal and disc so that it does not seal against the bottom seal point in the exp tank but still seals at the top seal at the neck.
attach a 2 bar pressure gauge and pipe to the expansion tank over flow pipe then fit an old car tyre valve into the end, this will allow you to inflate the whole system to no more than 1 bar with a bike pump, remove the pump, the valve will hold pressure and watch the gauge either hold pressure for a min or two or slowly drop pressure, if it drops you have a leak somewhere so you should see it leak with 1 bar of pressure pushing out the coolant. if no leak is found but pressure is dropping suspect a crack in the head.
to make sure its the head remove the glow plugs on cylinders 2 and 3 then get a few dry strips of paper from your paper shredder and dip them into the cylinders to see if they get wet.
shout if you need more how to make stuff info.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat May 13, 2017 12:00 am

teenmal wrote:
The fact that you by-passed and did not blank the flow/return should answer your question?.
It's a good point. Bypassing is not the same as obstructing the circuit with a blocked radiator. However....... :roll:
Manxda
Bongonaut

Post by Manxda » Thu May 18, 2017 7:00 pm

cmm303 wrote:Given the overheat and persistent, albeit sporadic inclination to ditch its coolant a sniff test could save you a lot of effort by ruling in or out the elephant in the room.

So we've got newish pump, thermostat, radiator and caps. Sounds like all the coolant pipes (17 of 'em) could do with inspection and perhaps replacement. Also check the condition of the metal pipes especially running between the rear heater hoses and the front. Looking for the smallest pinhole.

Has the coolant been replaced recently and/or changed to a different type of coolant?

I appreciate this is after the event, but it sounds like you could do with a head temperature gauge or, if funds are tight modify the temp gauge for pence so you have more warning of overheating than the standard gauge gives you. Many consider that by the time the standard gauge reacts it is often too late.
Many thanks.

Return to “Techie Stuff”