Changing boot bulbs

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

lukeandkelly
Apprentice Bongonaut

Changing boot bulbs

Post by lukeandkelly » Sun May 07, 2017 10:06 pm

Hello!

can anyone help us in how to change the bulb on the lifting part of the boot?
Have taken two bolts off either side and a couple under the handle, didn't want to force anything but wasn't sure if the whole thing came off as a whole unit?

Any advice appreciated!
Thanks in advance :)
Roy748
Bongolier

Re: Changing boot bulbs

Post by Roy748 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:23 pm

Hello. If you are referring to the new shape bongo then it's a little tricky but possible. You will in addition to removing the bolts you have already, you will also need to remove the rear card, which is held on by a number of plastic clips around the edges of the card. Once removed you will see polythene covering all the access holes. Remove this carefully as it's stuck with a sticky tar like substance and will need to be reused. You can now access the bulbs in the rear tail gate if you have small hands. You may need to remove the entire light unit to access the bulbs otherwise. If so there are 4 plastic clips (2 each side) that need to be squeezed together to allow them to be pushed up and out the back. I found sliding a 19mm spanner over the clips squeezed them together sufficiently whilst I pushed them up and out at the same time. There are also 2 philip screws that also need to be removed. One is located behind the lock selonoid which just needs un bolting and moved aside. The other is accessed via a cut out in the metal panel.
Finally unplug the rear light connectors from the wiring loom
You should now be able to remove the light unit from the tail gate.

I removed my light unit in the hope of cleaning up the reflectors in either corner as mine had discolouration due to water incress only they are sealed units so no joy.

Return to “Techie Stuff”