ABS diagnostics

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Roger1950
Junior Bongonaut

Re: ABS diagnostics

Post by Roger1950 » Fri May 05, 2017 7:31 pm

Thank you Geoff

I will dive in there first thing tomorrow morning.
1995 2.5D AFT 4WD Auto
Roger1950
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Roger1950 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:34 pm

I hooked up the test LED and jumper based on the information you provided (thanks!) and now have a "sensible" fault code being flashed at me (three long, pause, five shorter, pause, single flash, pause .....and repeat the sequence.)

So it is 35, which indicates a problem with the Front Nearside wheel sensor. I re-checked wiring continuity from the sensor plug to the ABS computer and also substituted a spare wheel sensor - fault still present.

So I have a questions: is there anything special (other than harness length and mounting hardware) about the sensors and their locations on the vehicle? In my experience, designers use as many multi-use components as possible, and there doesn't seem to be any reason why they would have individual and specific electrical characteristics.

I would dearly like to "prove" the fault being the wheel sensor before buying one and not curing the fault :)
1995 2.5D AFT 4WD Auto
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon May 08, 2017 2:16 pm

I think you will find the sensors internally are identical, but the mounting arrangements vary for each wheel.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon May 08, 2017 2:19 pm

Congrats on that!
Did you manage to clear the fault code off the memory?
Does the fault present when switching ignition on or during driving?
Have connected a multimeter set to AC and revolved (as fast as you can, hope its not 4WD) the wheel to see if you a voltage displaying?
Have you checked the toothed reluctor for cracks and security?
On that wheel is there any roughness from the wheel bearing and are tires on that axle the same size?
Was the sensor second hand then?
Roger1950
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Roger1950 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi!

Well, the 4WABS warning light comes on with the ignition, but does not clear (as does the "roof" warning, for example.) I have not been able to clear it, ever - and it remains on when driving.
So at the moment I'm assuming that it is something other than wheel speed (yes I'm 4WD ), rotor problem, tyre size, etc. Because as I understand it, the system is alarming very quickly in the self-test procedure.
Do you think that I should be able to clear the fault, and then see it come back on during the next "ignition on/self-test?
1995 2.5D AFT 4WD Auto
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon May 08, 2017 2:44 pm

Some systems self check after repair and then clear the code but keep a copy on board that can later be retrieved as an historic code. Some require you to clear the code. It would be safest to assume the Bongo doesnt do this and clear the code.
Being a 4WD you will not be able to spin the wheel fast enough to check the output from the sensor.
You will need to bring that lead end into the cab and drive it faster than 5mph to get a reading.
You should check those items in my previous post if you havnt done that already.
I will have poke around the web and see if I can find anything relating to clearing the codes.
Can you post a link to an image or an image of the manufacturers plate, normally on the body of the pump?
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon May 08, 2017 2:52 pm

The dealer had removed the bulb in mine to hide the ABS fault (Pre MOT failure time) ..

Checked the brake lights .. normal bulbs .. not LEDs ..

I metered all the wheel sensors for resistance and they where all OK ..

Fed 12volts to the ABS pump .. that 'fired' up OK ..

Checking for continuity (broken wires) .. more by luck than skill .. found a poor multi pin connection by the ABS valve block .. (sorry for crappy pic)..

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Roger1950
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Roger1950 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:58 pm

Thanks Bongolia!

I will post photos as requested as soon as possible.

I will definitely go through all the checks that you have suggested. I have made up a test lead for the wheel sensors, so checking each one in turn as I drive down the road will be a relatively simple matter - and I will then really prove that they are working (or not) or if there are any variations.
1995 2.5D AFT 4WD Auto
Roger1950
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Roger1950 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:00 pm

Thanks for that Mike!

I'll have a poke around in there. I've checked the plug/socket connections to the wheel sensors, and continuity back to the control unit. But I will have to remove some hardware to get to the ABS pump and the connectors you have highlighted.
1995 2.5D AFT 4WD Auto
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon May 08, 2017 3:14 pm

These connectors where the source of my problem ..

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Roger1950
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Roger1950 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:27 pm

OK, thanks for that.
1995 2.5D AFT 4WD Auto
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon May 08, 2017 3:31 pm

http://www.philmcfadden.co.uk/MazdaDiagnosticBox.htm
I think this is the site ref Geoff.
It doesnt show a code 35 in the ABS in fact it doesn't show it anywhere :shock:
On Mazda626.net it shows 35 as a fault code for SRS.
Does the ABS work, do you feel a rapid pulsing through the brake pedal when locking up the wheels at speed?

Chance this may fly off at a tangent here but could you simply have a faulty dash circuit board I wonder?
Anyone know if this is a likely.

Edit;
http://www.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_res ... _Mazda_626
Its likely that your Bongo uses the same pump as the 626 certainly the diagnostic connectors are the same as these vehicles.
Having the pump plate and if you can get to it easily the ABS ECU plate would help to verify that.
Roger1950
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Roger1950 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:51 pm

This is where I got the "code 35"

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 19#p595919

On the ABS pump is a plate with the following info:

SO9V 43 7AO
569-0859
NIPPON ABS.LTD.

I'm not sure what I'm looking at in the passenger footwell, but this is what is on the only data plate that is immediately obvious:

WL04I 89EI A
31036 BM310
A57-000 007 5927

Could you tell me how to attach a photo to my messages? (I'm usually OK with this sort of thing but maybe I have a short between the ears today.)
1995 2.5D AFT 4WD Auto
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon May 08, 2017 4:57 pm

[quote="Roger1950"]This is where I got the "code 35"

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 19#p595919

On the ABS pump is a plate with the following info:

SO9V 43 7AO
569-0859
NIPPON ABS.LTD.

I'm not sure what I'm looking at in the passenger footwell, but this is what is on the only data plate that is immediately obvious:

WL04I 89EI A
31036 BM310
A57-000 007 5927

C

Code: Select all

ould you tell me how to attach a photo to my messages? (I'm usually OK with this sort of thing but maybe I have a short between the ears today.)[/quote]
I too have problems on this site no matter how small the image is it just wont have it.
However the best workaround I have found was suggested by Mike on here. What you need is a Google Gmail account and then download Google Photos app to your phone follow the set up advice ( easy peasy) on the app and then each time you take a pic it will upload it to your Google photos cloud. This can be viewed on your PC or phone , simply tick the box in the corner of the image you want then click share icon, when that screen appears select Copy Link and then paste that link into you post. A link will appear in the post and users can click on it to see the image,. You can select multiple pics in this way too and it will produce a single link to all of them. Like this.
https://goo.gl/photos/3ekCnB7sVwyqDcHY7
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon May 08, 2017 5:06 pm

KGB disinformation?
Interesting as that Russian one has 29 codes and the Phil one has 9 I think.
I would be tempted to go with the Ruskies on this as they probably pulled them from a bongo and not a 626.
So back on your heads.
Did you retrieve the code via the ABS light or LED?

Return to “Techie Stuff”