Cigarette lighter

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

jonnyred
Bongonaut

Cigarette lighter

Post by jonnyred » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:09 pm

Has anyone replaced their cigarette lighter in the front ? Is there a part number for it ? I have bought two now from ebay that said they fitted the Bongo, and neither have. Really annoying as i use it plug a phone charger into.
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, in midi side conversion 2002 LPG V6, solar panel
Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: Cigarette lighter

Post by Gasy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:54 pm

Why don't they fit
What's up with the old one
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
jonnyred
Bongonaut

Post by jonnyred » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:13 pm

The old one appears to be dead when plugging into it. The USB charger that i have been using now will not work, but if i move it to my other car it works fine. There is 12v at the terminals on the lighter but not working. The one i bought are slightly too big to fit back into the space, one has an LED on the side make it impossible to fit.
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, in midi side conversion 2002 LPG V6, solar panel
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:30 pm

You realise there is a fusible link on the rear of the socket which can be repaired/bypassed ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
jonnyred
Bongonaut

Post by jonnyred » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:24 pm

I do now. I will need to take some trim off to see better. Mine is not wired with the blue / black wires, i have the black, the blue is in a seperate connector. Also looked at the fused connection and cant see anything wrong with it, what should i look out for ?

https://goo.gl/photos/wkw9TgjYURU9iko96

https://goo.gl/photos/2sr7PrUeoFzYGJx7A
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:31 pm

That looks like someone has rewired the supply to the socket, I would trace the wires back and see where its fused and/or what it is connected to!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:35 pm

The wiring has been modified, perhaps to run off the leisure battery instead of the starter battery?

What did you use to check that there is 12v at the terminals?

Use a multimeter to find out where the fault is. They are a very simple device, so should be easy to diagnose and repair.

Test the socket by inserting the positive probe in to the socket so it touches the centre inside (make sure it doesn't touch the sides), touch the negative probe to the outer metal shell of the socket. This should show 12v. If it doesn't then the only thing it can really be is the fusible link on the back. (If the terminals are definitely showing 12v)

Hold the negative probe against the metal side again then use the positive probe to test both ends of the fusible link - you should get 12v at both ends.

Post the results you get on here.
jonnyred
Bongonaut

Post by jonnyred » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:45 pm

i have a fluke electrical tester from my time on site (years ago) show amp volts and continuity (bell). The rewire from the leisure could be right there is a white fused cable coming from the leisure battery, but it has a purple as well, but the fuse tests ok, i will trace it out and report back.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:04 pm

Should be simple to test with a fluke.

You can check the continuity of the fusible link.

Double check to make sure there is 12v at the terminals then do the other checks above.
jonnyred
Bongonaut

Post by jonnyred » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:43 pm

Just tried with the tester again, red in the centre inside, black on the outside casing, 12v showing on the fluke. tried across both ends of the fused link, no voltage, but if you switch to bell it does sound across the same.

On another note (not sure if related, now have a very loud ticking like an indicator sound, appeared in the driver footwell somewhere in the wiring loom, nothing obvious but constant. left it 10 minutes gone back still ticking away. Started the van switched off still ticking. I have just used the spare keys to open the van. Any ideas. Checked fuses cant see anything.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:11 pm

The tester won't show voltage across the fusible link. You need to test between ground and was end of the link.

However your tests have proven that the link is fine and that the socket is providing 12v absolutely fine.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:33 am

Hi Jon
Great to see the images working out OK. You can tick the little tick box in the top from the multiple image screen and so select a group of images then click the share and copy link thingy. That will give one link with several images.
https://goo.gl/photos/FTcxkWUUejWhUz8t8
The problem is they will display in the order they were taken.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:39 am

jonnyred wrote:Just tried with the tester again, red in the centre inside, black on the outside casing, 12v showing on the fluke. tried across both ends of the fused link, no voltage, but if you switch to bell it does sound across the same.

On another note (not sure if related, now have a very loud ticking like an indicator sound, appeared in the driver footwell somewhere in the wiring loom, nothing obvious but constant. left it 10 minutes gone back still ticking away. Started the van switched off still ticking. I have just used the spare keys to open the van. Any ideas. Checked fuses cant see anything.
I am wondering if you have an old disconnected alarm on board?
Could be a flasher unit clicking that may have previously flashed the hazards. Is it a regular ticking about the same rate as a flasher unit?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:31 am

or a split charge relay thats trying to pull in but the voltage is too low
jonnyred
Bongonaut

Post by jonnyred » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:57 pm

Sotal, ill try again between ground and fusible see what that does. Tried the charger again no joy, plugged in the other car works straight away.

Return to “Techie Stuff”