Switch Radio Between LB and SB

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sotal
Supreme Being

Switch Radio Between LB and SB

Post by sotal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:12 pm

The JVC headunit in the Bongo is great but it is a bit awkward to switch on and off. It involves pressing the source button for a few seconds which invariably means you end up changing the source as well, then having to cycle through them all to get to what you wanted.

For day to day driving I want the stereo to work off the SB and to switch on and off with the ignition.
However when we are camping, I want the stereo to work off the LB and to require manual switching on and off.

What is my best way to achieve this?
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Re: Switch Radio Between LB and SB

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:36 pm

I've done exactly this. I took inspiration from the swap looms that use small spade connectors to plug in to the fuse box.

Fuse 8. Top right hand does the stereo, power sockets and electric mirrors, I have a fused supply from the leisure battery going to 1 pin of a 2 way and off switch, I then have a small spade to the top top of fuse 8 going through an online fuse to the second pin of the switch. The common then goes via a spade connector to the bottom of fuse 8 to supply the circuit.

The switch has 2 positions and off in the middle, on mine 1 is ignition switched form the SB, position 2 is permanent live from the LB.

I drew a diagram so I'll post it when I get home on Sunday.
Jamie, Caroline and the kids.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
geoff46
Bongonaut

Post by geoff46 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:23 pm

Hi, I'm looking to do the same thing and came across this thread. Did you draw that diagram in the end? If so would you mind posting it? I think I understand it but want to be sure! Also I'd ideally like to put the switch in one of the slots just below the instrument cluster that currently has a blank in, do you have any idea where I might find one? Thanks
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:41 pm

I've a number of features that are switchable between LB and SB. There are two principle ways of doing this...
1) Use a 3 position switch on/off/on (or a 2 position if you don't need an off position) This is a 3 pole switch which connects the centre pole to either of the other two poles depending on the position of the switch. Connect the centre pole to your device, one of the other poles to the LB + and the remaining pole to the SB+.
2)Use a switching relay and wire up as above but trigger the relay using a wire that is positive when the ignition is on. This is a better method generally as you can forget about it. Your device will be powered by the SB when the ignition is on but by the LB when off.

Return to “Techie Stuff”