Help,, No rear sidelights

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Cerys 458
Apprentice Bongonaut

Help,, No rear sidelights

Post by Cerys 458 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:53 am

Morning all, Dave 218 here under my new name as ive somehow managed to log myself out and can't get back in!! After a rather damp Easter weekend break in the Trough of Bowland, Beryl has lost her dim sucker inners from the rear ( that's rear lights to normal folks!) brake lights still working, new bulbs have been fitted. Are both lights on the same fuse? And if so what fuse, got rather chunky fingers and struggling to take fuses out willy-nilly, also don't know if it's coincidence but the dashboard lights aren't working as well, all tips gratefully received as at the moment it means the wife has commandeered Beryl as she 'dosent drive at night'
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Re: Help,, No rear sidelights

Post by wonkanoby » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:29 am

Cerys 458
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Cerys 458 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:52 am

Just replaced the 15 amp fuse under the bonnet and it's immediately blown,, what could be causing this?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:06 pm

Check the lights themselves and the sockets, most often the cause is a problem at that point, unless you have had any work carried out recently which might have damaged the loom or similar ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Cerys 458
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Cerys 458 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:54 pm

g8dhe wrote:Check the lights themselves and the sockets, most often the cause is a problem at that point, unless you have had any work carried out recently which might have damaged the loom or similar ?
Brake lights are working fine,as are all other electrics, had a look as I was replacing bulb and nothing seemed out of the ordinary
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:07 pm

All of the Side lights, Number plate lights, internal night location lights are all powered from the same single fuse a short on ANY of the sockets or ANY of the bulbs will blow the fuse, your only choice to locate the problem is to go thru each lamp and check it out.
The Brake lights have nothing to do with the NSL lights at all.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Cerys 458
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Cerys 458 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:25 am

Thanks one and all for your advice,
A morning visit to the local auto electrican sorted the problem, a short was found and rectified, job done under the warranty from Ian Taylor of Stoke who I can't recommend enough, once you get through to him that is, mind you he will be busy if all his customers are like me :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”