2.0 L petrol idle speed adjustment

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bongolia
Supreme Being

Re: 2.0 L petrol idle speed adjustment

Post by Bongolia » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:49 pm

Andrewpridmore wrote:Photos of the offending bit. He reckons that the rust seen indicates that there had been some sort of problem in that area for a while...

https://goo.gl/photos/9ttVCMwoH5AgwChK8

Out of interest if I did want to get a replacement gear or Woodruff key, are there any sources for them other than to rob them from an existing engine? And would all engines be different or could I rob it from a V6 or diesel too??

Thanks

That would be the wobbly crank pulley County Cars spotted likely.
Looks like the crank & keyway is good so just the crank toothed pulley then maybe an oil seal and belt kit?
Your man will know.
Bongo Spares or a breakers may have. I would think they are specific to the 2.0ltr.

Give the dealer a poke and see what you can get out of him possibly not a lot. :(
Anyhow at the end of the day you have your van fixed. :D :D

Mike, Diesel signal pick up is from the pump gear if that is what you meant?
Andrewpridmore
Bongonaut

Post by Andrewpridmore » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:53 pm

Upon closer inspection of the crankshaft & sprocket, the keyway damage is too severe. At the minimum I reckon we will be pulling the crankshaft and cutting a new keyway in both the shaft and the sprocket. Personally I would rather cut two at 120° each to the original to give a spare in case it ever happens again...

Total cost Inc labour will be getting towards £1000 when done. I hope the dealer is sitting down when I call tomorrow. Even if the dealer doesn't want to know, I bought it via barclaycard just to be sure, so it will fall to them to cover it if the dealer refuses. I hope [-o<
2.0L 2003 tin top aero city runner, LPG, unconverted (those rear seats are comfy enough!) :D
Andrewpridmore
Bongonaut

Post by Andrewpridmore » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:41 pm

Called the dealer today & they said they would fix it for free =D> if I get it down there... though it would cost me £600 odd to get it down there + train fares for me to get back there to pick it up after the repair + it has already had £200-300 worth of repairs/investigations done on it so pretty much the same overall cost to just pay the guy who already has it. There's some blurb in the consumer law about getting it repaired elsewhere if it would be too inconvenient to have the dealer do the repair which I guess applies here, since they're almost 200 miles away.

Going through Barclaycard so they will likely pay the repairs & dealer is going to pull a good crankshaft, key & sprocket & send it to us to fit. Just need to get written repair quote & other docs for Barclaycard now.

Might even be claiming the £100 distributor "fix" I didn't need, the 2 days lost work & £310 (& rising) car hire costs that are all tied in with it, will see how it goes. Just the £1000 repair and a working bongo will be fine by me :D

Moral of the story, always buy a car using your credit card [-X
2.0L 2003 tin top aero city runner, LPG, unconverted (those rear seats are comfy enough!) :D
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed May 03, 2017 12:34 pm

Andrewpridmore wrote:Called the dealer today & they said they would fix it for free =D> if I get it down there... though it would cost me £600 odd to get it down there + train fares for me to get back there to pick it up after the repair + it has already had £200-300 worth of repairs/investigations done on it so pretty much the same overall cost to just pay the guy who already has it. There's some blurb in the consumer law about getting it repaired elsewhere if it would be too inconvenient to have the dealer do the repair which I guess applies here, since they're almost 200 miles away.

Going through Barclaycard so they will likely pay the repairs & dealer is going to pull a good crankshaft, key & sprocket & send it to us to fit. Just need to get written repair quote & other docs for Barclaycard now.

Might even be claiming the £100 distributor "fix" I didn't need, the 2 days lost work & £310 (& rising) car hire costs that are all tied in with it, will see how it goes. Just the £1000 repair and a working bongo will be fine by me :D

Moral of the story, always buy a car using your credit card [-X
How are you progressing with the Bongo and the claim?
Andrewpridmore
Bongonaut

Post by Andrewpridmore » Sun May 07, 2017 3:06 pm

Still waiting for the dealer to send the crankshaft, should be Monday/Tuesday. Due to the fit with bearings etc it may be easier to cut a new keyway in the original so this week my crankshaft is coming out & then we'll decide which is the best option.

Barclaycard have sent through a form to complete with all the info of costs and dates and paperwork so will get that off this week. Realistically it'll probably be at least 2 more weeks until she's back on the road though the hire cars are being added to the bill of what's being claimed back.

It's taking longer than I'd like but at least it's all being done right, is covered money-wise & I have a car in the meantime.

Will give an update once I hear more :-)
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sun May 07, 2017 4:04 pm

Andrewpridmore wrote:Still waiting for the dealer to send the crankshaft, should be Monday/Tuesday. Due to the fit with bearings etc it may be easier to cut a new keyway in the original so this week my crankshaft is coming out & then we'll decide which is the best option.

Barclaycard have sent through a form to complete with all the info of costs and dates and paperwork so will get that off this week. Realistically it'll probably be at least 2 more weeks until she's back on the road though the hire cars are being added to the bill of what's being claimed back.

It's taking longer than I'd like but at least it's all being done right, is covered money-wise & I have a car in the meantime.

Will give an update once I hear more :-)
Shame he couldn't have re used the same crank without all that dismantling . Crank didn't look to bad in the image, still best safe than sorry and if someone else is paying for it then why not. You will have new ends and mains too so that is good.
Good Luck.
Andrewpridmore
Bongonaut

Post by Andrewpridmore » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:15 pm

I finally got the bongo back yesterday & all is well, she has a lot more power than she ever did & mpg was always dreadful at 25mpg on long motorway trips at best so I'm hopeful that will have improved. Barclaycard are slowly sorting it all. It's been 7 weeks so a bit of a pain but it's great to have her back on the road & know that the belts, water pump, etc have all been done too so she should be good for a long time now.
Even after all this the idle revs are only around 500 but now she purrs instead of sounding like she wants to die...
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:29 pm

Well done. =D>
Andrewpridmore
Bongonaut

Post by Andrewpridmore » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:19 pm

Barclaycard paid for the repair in the end, now just getting the financial ombudsman to decide whether Barclaycard also pay for the hire cars or whether the dealer should be paying. She's still running lovely & we got away to climb Snowdon last weekend & off to do Scafell pike & Ben Nevis before the school hols are over :-)

Return to “Techie Stuff”